Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster

Post by Larsongs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Indy, You may be completely right. But I can't seem to find one in a Store to try.

I played a JMJM about 2 years ago before I bought my AV65 & I thought it was a pretty good Guitar. I played one about 9 months ago & it was nowhere even near being Set up & couldn't get it in tune enough to play without cringing. So I can't give a fair assessment of the newer ones.

It was more P90's sounding than an AV65 is.

It might be cool to have both.

I have played quite a few different models of CV's & they always seem well built, detailed & finished almost perfect. Xlnt Guitars. For any kind of money. IMO. Some of the Pickups even sound good! IMO

I'm hoping these Deluxe JM's are of the same build quality & have great sounding Pickups as the other CV Models I've played & the one I own. Wish I could find one in a Store to try out.

Thanks,

Lars

indiandysummer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by indiandysummer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:22 pm

I also like both "styles" of JM available. I bet these are pretty nice too... sounds like very similar to JMJM.

I bet they'll start showing up in stores soon. They're still kinda new and somewhat under the radar. You could always ask a store to order one for you to try, they're pretty cheap, so they might oblige!

Mozmonster
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mozmonster » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:39 am

I've been absolutely GASing for this (trem version). I think I'd switch the pickguard to a red tort and change to cream knobs etc. Think that'd look great.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Mozmonster wrote:I've been absolutely GASing for this (trem version). I think I'd switch the pickguard to a red tort and change to cream knobs etc. Think that'd look great.
That would look pretty cool.

How big a deal would it be to change the Pup covers to white?

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:06 pm

jonobolton wrote:I found someone on Instagram who had swapped out the pickup covers and knobs for aged white and I think it looks pretty great. When my pickup covers arrive, I think I'm going to put the gold guard back on in place of the mint.

Did your new one arrive? Did you change the Covers? How hard is that to do? How do you like the Guitar over all? Review & Pics please!

Thansk,

Lars

jonobolton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonobolton » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Larsongs wrote:
jonobolton wrote:I found someone on Instagram who had swapped out the pickup covers and knobs for aged white and I think it looks pretty great. When my pickup covers arrive, I think I'm going to put the gold guard back on in place of the mint.

Did your new one arrive? Did you change the Covers? How hard is that to do? How do you like the Guitar over all? Review & Pics please!

Thansk,

Lars
I've had the guitar for a month now, and I can only really echo what I've said before; it's a J Mascis in a different colour. In terms of the specs, the sound, build quality and playability, the two are identical. I tried them both in the shop when I bought the Deluxe. I had no intention of buying the JMJM as it's much more expensive, so I wanted to compare them both to see why there was a difference in price. I'm still none the wiser, as there's nothing between them.

The new pickup covers have been dispatched but haven't arrived yet due to the post being off over the Easter weekend, so they should arrive at the start of next week. From having had a look inside the guitar when I got it, the stock pickup covers don't appear to be held in place by anything other than the screws pushing the pickup down while the foam underneath pushes the pickup up. It should just be a case of taking the screws out and the cover should just come right off.
Last edited by jonobolton on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitar2be
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by guitar2be » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:31 am

jonobolton wrote:
Larsongs wrote:

Thansk,

Lars
I've had the guitar for a month now, and I can only really echo what I've said before; it's a J Mascis in a different colour. In terms of the specss, the sound, build quality and playability, the two are identical. I tried them both in the shop when I bought the Deluxe. I had no intention of buying the JMJM as it's much more expensive, so I wanted to compare them both to see why there was a difference in price. I'm still none the wiser, as there's nothing between them.

The new pickup covers have been dispatched but haven't arrived yet due to the post being off over the Easter weekend, so they should arrive at the start of next week. From having had a look inside the guitar when I got it, the stock pickup covers don't appear to be held in place by anything other than the screws pushing the pickup down while the foam underneath pushes the pickup up. It should just be a case of taking the screws out and the cover should just come right off.
Hi! there still seems to be some confusion about whether the frets on both JMJM and Deluxe are the same, the specs say that the Deluxe has medium-jumbos but i know that JMJM has jumbo frets. You are claiming in this topic that these two guitars are IDENTICAL apart from colour. Could you maybe confirm again that the frets on both guitars are also the same (jumbo)? I need to know for sure, because i had a chance to play JMJM and really liked it, but want to order the Deluxe because of the price difference. thanks

jonobolton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonobolton » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:59 pm

guitar2be wrote:
jonobolton wrote:I've had the guitar for a month now, and I can only really echo what I've said before; it's a J Mascis in a different colour. In terms of the specss, the sound, build quality and playability, the two are identical. I tried them both in the shop when I bought the Deluxe. I had no intention of buying the JMJM as it's much more expensive, so I wanted to compare them both to see why there was a difference in price. I'm still none the wiser, as there's nothing between them.

Hi! there still seems to be some confusion about whether the frets on both JMJM and Deluxe are the same, the specs say that the Deluxe has medium-jumbos but i know that JMJM has jumbo frets. You are claiming in this topic that these two guitars are IDENTICAL apart from colour. Could you maybe confirm again that the frets on both guitars are also the same (jumbo)? I need to know for sure, because i had a chance to play JMJM and really liked it, but want to order the Deluxe because of the price difference. thanks
As I said in an earlier post, mine has jumbo frets. If Fender's specs say that it's medium-jumbos, then I can't guarantee that if you were to get one it would have jumbos or not. From what I've read and heard, the Deluxe was introduced to use up leftover J Mascis parts, and mine had been in the shop since it was introduced in January, so it's not unreasonable that some of the early ones shipped out with necks that had already been fretted with jumbos rather than the advertised medium-jumbos.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Fender website says JMJM had Jumbo frets & Del. JM has Med. Jumbo frets. Could be a misprint? I'm gonna call Fender tomorrow & ask.

Lars

guitar2be
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by guitar2be » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:14 am

Larsongs wrote:Fender website says JMJM had Jumbo frets & Del. JM has Med. Jumbo frets. Could be a misprint? I'm gonna call Fender tomorrow & ask.

Lars
Yeah, I thought so myself. That would be really cool man, thanks. Or maybe if one of you guys could go to a music store and check this for me, I'm from Slovenia actually and none of our stores have these two models. ;D i really hope it's a misprint, i love the mascis neck.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:52 pm

guitar2be wrote:
Larsongs wrote:Fender website says JMJM had Jumbo frets & Del. JM has Med. Jumbo frets. Could be a misprint? I'm gonna call Fender tomorrow & ask.

Lars
Yeah, I thought so myself. That would be really cool man, thanks. Or maybe if one of you guys could go to a music store and check this for me, I'm from Slovenia actually and none of our stores have these two models. i really hope it's a misprint, i love the mascis neck.
I spoke to Fender today. The Rep told me it is the same Guitar as the JMJM, but according to him, they do have Medium Jumbo Frets.

I may call again tomorrow as he was reading the same Spec sheet we read. Not sure what his level of knowledge regarding these Guitars. I'll let you know.

Lars

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:02 am

I called Fender again today & spoke to another Rep who seemd more knowledgeable. there are a few differences between the JMJM & the Dlx JM according to him.

With Trem both List at $449.00

JMJM
43mm at the Nut
Gloss Urethane Neck Finish
Adjustomatic Trem.

Dlx. JM
42.5mm at the Nut
Satin Neck Finish
Standard Trem (Vintage Style)

Hope this helps.

Lars

indiandysummer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by indiandysummer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:04 am

Lars, I think your Fender rep was misinformed, and/or you mixed up some features.

If you look at the photos of the deluxe JM, it DEFINITELY has a adjustomatic (TOM), just like the mascis. Neither guitar has a standard JM bridge / "vintage" style trem. They both have the moved trem plate like classic player, and TOM/adjustomatic bridges.

Also, the mascis is listed as having a "gloss urethane" neck on fender's website, but I remember the one I played having a very smooth satin finish.

Fender's website says the nut width of J. Mascis is 42.5mm. and DLX JM is 43mm. This is reverse what you said.

Just pointing out some more oddities. :wtf: Why is this such a mystery? This doesn't really help solve the question of fret size either. C'mon Fender...

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:30 am

indiandysummer wrote:Lars, I think your Fender rep was misinformed, and/or you mixed up some features.

If you look at the photos of the deluxe JM, it DEFINITELY has a adjustomatic (TOM), just like the mascis. Neither guitar has a standard JM bridge / "vintage" style trem. They both have the moved trem plate like classic player, and TOM/adjustomatic bridges.

Also, the mascis is listed as having a "gloss urethane" neck on fender's website, but I remember the one I played having a very smooth satin finish.

Fender's website says the nut width of J. Mascis is 42.5mm. and DLX JM is 43mm. This is reverse what you said.

Just pointing out some more oddities. Why is this such a mystery? This doesn't really help solve the question of fret size either. C'mon Fender...
I just spoke to another Rep at Fender. Here's what he said.

Firstly, The Nut width was my typo error. Everything is the same on both Guitars with the exceptions listed below, Here are the corrected Specs per my most recent conversation.

Thanks,

Lars

JMJM
42.5mm Nut
Jumbo Frets
Gloss-Urethane Neck
Same Trem
Strings .010

Dlx JM
43mm Nut
Med Jumbo Frets
Poly-Urethane Neck (he said it's smoother than JMJM)
Same Trem
Strings .090

indiandysummer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by indiandysummer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 am

Cool! Thanks for the info