Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
ciarlatano
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster

Post by ciarlatano » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:22 am

I received my Deluxe loaded body a couple of days ago, and it is exactly the same as my JMJM was in terms of quality and components - everything on it was perfect. The quality of these for the price is pretty amazing.

I didn't want to mention the color again.....but.....yikes. The CAR and gold don't work together at all. The contrast makes the gold look really brassy, and the black hardware is not helping the overall look. I ordered white and red pearl pickguards for it to see which I like. The CAR itself is very nice, and nicely done, the gold and black just kill it for me. Changing the pickup covers and knobs to aged white did soften it, but the gold/red clash was just too much.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:58 am

It's funny, most of the folks here usually swap pickguards even in their Marr, AVRI, thin skins, etc... even if this had the best color combo ever on a jazzmaster, they'd have their PG changed anyways.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

jonobolton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonobolton » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:34 am

I found someone on Instagram who had swapped out the pickup covers and knobs for aged white and I think it looks pretty great. When my pickup covers arrive, I think I'm going to put the gold guard back on in place of the mint.

Last edited by jonobolton on Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 am

^ To me that looks way better already. + True on a "swap the pickguard anyway" comment. We all do it anyway. :blush:

Zeus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zeus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:38 pm

This might be weird but I really dig the CAR and gold combo.

jonobolton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonobolton » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:37 am

Zeus wrote:This might be weird but I really dig the CAR and gold combo.
It's definitely grown on me.

morkov
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by morkov » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:09 am

Looks much better without the black covers. I think it is weird they released it with the black ones, just looks so wrong to me.
Free to those that can afford it, very exspensive to those that can`t.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:25 am

red and anodized gold was a pretty common look back in the late 50s and early 60s. I think it's cool for sure.

but definitely with traditional cream/white plastics. black covers and knobs looks wrong wrong wrong!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:02 pm

As I mentioned earlier I'm more concerned about build quality, playability & sound. The color isn't an issue. I do agree about the Black Covers & Knobs but not a huge deal to me either.

Was at Guitar Center & they didn't have one. Or a J Mascis. Not many YouTubes either. Seems like I'll have to buy one Online just to try one.

Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squareball » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Larsongs wrote:As I mentioned earlier I'm more concerned about build quality, playability & sound. The color isn't an issue. I do agree about the Black Covers & Knobs but not a huge deal to me either.
Was at Guitar Center & they didn't have one. Or a J Mascis. Not many YouTubes either. Seems like I'll have to buy one Online just to try one.
As mentioned already in this thread the deluxe is pretty much the same guitar as the JMJM. Apart from the slight difference in fret size......
ciarlatano wrote:I received my Deluxe loaded body a couple of days ago, and it is exactly the same as my JMJM was in terms of quality and components - everything on it was perfect. The quality of these for the price is pretty amazing.......
So yes, it will be a better guitar than the VMJM. - check out all the threads on OSG about the SQJMJM for comparison.
Here is one about mods....
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =6&t=58169

I don't know where you are looking but Actually there are tons of videos about the Deluxe JM on youtube...
Heres one for starters....
https://youtu.be/CqFp3YqT4kE

The only things worth mentioning though is that ....
1. the tremolo is in a different position to a traditional JM and it has a TOM bridge.
2. the pick ups on the SQJMJM are hotter than a normal JM so that may be the same case with the Deluxe..
3. its not going to be anywhere as good as your AVJM.
May the Fuzz be with you

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:33 pm

Squareball wrote:
Larsongs wrote:As I mentioned earlier I'm more concerned about build quality, playability & sound. The color isn't an issue. I do agree about the Black Covers & Knobs but not a huge deal to me either.
As mentioned already in this thread the deluxe is pretty much the same guitar as the JMJM. Apart from the slight difference in fret size......
ciarlatano wrote:I received my Deluxe loaded body a couple of days ago, and it is exactly the same as my JMJM was in terms of quality and components - everything on it was perfect. The quality of these for the price is pretty amazing.......
So yes, it will be a better guitar than the VMJM. - check out all the threads on OSG about the SQJMJM for comparison.
Here is one about mods....
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =6&t=58169

I don't know where you are looking but Actually there are tons of videos about the Deluxe JM on youtube...
Heres one for starters....
https://youtu.be/CqFp3YqT4kE

The only things worth mentioning though is that ....
1. the tremolo is in a different position to a traditional JM and it has a TOM bridge.
2. the pick ups on the SQJMJM are hotter than a normal JM so that may be the same case with the Deluxe..
3. its not going to be anywhere as good as your AVJM.

I was looking for the Deluxe on Youtube. I'll check out the JMJM for a comparison...

It probably won't be as good as my AV65JM. I know I was pretty hard on VMJM's based on my experience but one thing I will say is I liked the PIckups. I thought they sounded good. Hopefully the Deluxe will sound comparably good & have will have the quality.

bacca51
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacca51 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Larsongs wrote: It probably won't be as good as my AV65JM. I know I was pretty hard on VMJM's based on my experience but one thing I will say is I liked the PIckups. I thought they sounded good. Hopefully the Deluxe will sound comparably good & have will have the quality.
Probably? To expect this Squier to be as "good" as you're $2000 JM is to set yourself up to be let down

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:01 pm

bacca51 wrote:
Larsongs wrote: It probably won't be as good as my AV65JM. I know I was pretty hard on VMJM's based on my experience but one thing I will say is I liked the PIckups. I thought they sounded good. Hopefully the Deluxe will sound comparably good & have will have the quality.
Probably? To expect this Squier to be as "good" as you're $2000 JM is to set yourself up to be let down
No no no, I don't expect it to be as great as my AV65.. I'm hoping it will be a Guitar that sounds good, is solid built so I can knock around with it, have a good time, make some good noise & not worry if it gets dinged. Like my CV Tele. That is all that & is solid as a sledge hammer.

jonobolton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonobolton » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Larsongs wrote:
bacca51 wrote:
No no no, I don't expect it to be as great as my AV65.. I'm hoping it will be a Guitar that sounds good, is solid built so I can knock around with it, have a good time, make some good noise & not worry if it gets dinged. Like my CV Tele. That is all that & is solid as a sledge hammer.
It's from the same factory as the CVs, and also the Chinese Fenders (such as the Modern Players). If you've got a CV Tele, you'll not be disappointed. Any of the Squiers I mentioned I'd had have been excellent; some new, some used, some bought unseen and I've never had an issue with any of them. The colour aside, it's a J Mascis in every way. It's a solid, well made instrument. If you're concerned, I'd recommend buying from somewhere with a returns policy if you're buying online, but you shouldn't have any problems.

indiandysummer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by indiandysummer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Larsongs wrote:
bacca51 wrote:

Lars, for being a AV65 fanatic/purist, I'm surprised you're looking at this guitar. This deluxe JM is more like the CP (especially) and american pro series than the AV65, classic lacquer, or VM series.

The only thing it has in common with the AV65 is essentially the shape. The fretboard radius (9.5"), frets (medium jumbo), nut width (1.6875"), bridge (TOM), pickups (p90s under a JM cover), and trem position (CP style) are all changed compared to a vintage spec jazzmaster. These are even more of a departure than the AmPro series. Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from purchasing (they could feel great)... but it seems to offer many features you are not fond of. ;)