Help with Identifying JM body

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
knars
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Help with Identifying JM body

Post by knars » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:47 pm

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me in identifying a Jazzmaster body.
I don't have any historical background, only pictures from the owner.

Thanks

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help with Identifying JM body

Post by Francer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:29 am

My guess is an AVRI 62 based on the F54436 stamp in the neck pocket. Looks same as the one in the pics in this thread on OSG

I'm no expert, make your own checks, Googling AVRI 62 jazzmaster body might yield something ... Or look for pictures in Ebay auctions of the same thing.

Interestingly, a Google image search yields what looks like an old Ebay listing for a custom shop Jazzmaster body which appears to be at least one of the same pictures you posted, although the actual listing appears to be gone.

What does the seller say it is?

knars
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by knars » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:47 am

Thanks! I didn't find that thread on my search.
Yes, that is the same guitar in the ebay posting. The seller had no information on the history other than saying it was a custom shop, which I'm not sure is correct. I think CS was a QC initial.
I pulled the trigger on the purchase before I did all my investigative work, but my plan was to switch out a previous VMJM body partsmaster build.
I'm hoping to figure out what the body is so that I can get the right pickguard, shielding and whether the neck pocket will play nice.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:34 am

knars wrote:Thanks! I didn't find that thread on my search.
Yes, that is the same guitar in the ebay posting. The seller had no information on the history other than saying it was a custom shop, which I'm not sure is correct. I think CS was a QC initial.
I pulled the trigger on the purchase before I did all my investigative work, but my plan was to switch out a previous VMJM body partsmaster build.
I'm hoping to figure out what the body is so that I can get the right pickguard, shielding and whether the neck pocket will play nice.
Well, it absolutely does not look like a Japanese body, which is the only concern re: pickguards and necks. Regardless of which variation of USA body it is, vintage/AVRI/AV65/MIM pickguards and necks will fit as they're all interchangeable.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

knars
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by knars » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:13 pm

Is it normal, for fender, that it is a 2 piece body? Does it make any difference? I've only ever seen 3 piece bodies.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:09 am

It's 3 pieces - one seam near midline, one half way across the left side, in the picture of the back.