Pickup Replacement for a 2017 American Pro Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mazzjaster
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Pickup Replacement for a 2017 American Pro Jazzmaster

Post by mazzjaster » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:47 am

Check out the Mick Brierley JazzDoctor's. They're the best Jazzmaster pickups I've played and I've owned various Duncan's, Novak's and AVRI pickups (the '65s are pretty good).

https://youtu.be/INo_qc4tIPU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NoelEiffe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NoelEiffe » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:28 pm

This thread is old, but I'm just catching up and this is my first post here, so hello.

Have a new 2017 AmPro JM and am also considering pickups, after I run through some thicker string gauges first to see if that changes my opinion. Like others, I love the neck and playability of this guitar. I do find the neck pu a bit woofy, esp with gain ... even smaller amounts. And I do also find the bridge sorta shrill. The middle though...mmmm....love the jangly thing that happens there on this guitar.

So anyway, I'm listening to samples of the Novaks, Fralins, and Lollars and wondering if folks have an opinion on hum-canceling models vs. standard coils? Do people feel it makes dramatic changes to overall tonality? I'm not super obsessed with noise, but the stocks get pretty hummy when say a compressor is on.

What I'm finding difficult to assess, given that this is my first JM, is the often-remarked forum comments on vintage JM sounds vs. more modernized or revisionist options. Haven't played enough JMs to really understand fully what makes a pickup sound "Jazzmastery". What I know at the moment is that the neck woofs and the bridge squeals a bit, though jacked through some fun pedals you can get some fun tones. The Box of Rock seems to take this guitar places.

Anyway...additional thoughts about hum canceling, or further observations 7 months later after some folks have swapped things out?

Happy new year, folks, today.

cuethenoise
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cuethenoise » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:51 am

Just soldered up some Novaks in my Am Pro Jazzmaster last night. I put a JM-V in the neck and a JM-Fat in the bridge. I'm putting strings back on when I get home from work and giving her a test spin. I'll let you guys know what I think.

peterjh85
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterjh85 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:38 pm

cuethenoise wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:51 am
Just soldered up some Novaks in my Am Pro Jazzmaster last night. I put a JM-V in the neck and a JM-Fat in the bridge. I'm putting strings back on when I get home from work and giving her a test spin. I'll let you guys know what I think.
I loved a set of Novak JM90's I had in an AM Pro JM. Nice mid range push and plenty of clarity still. Let us know what you think of the JM-V and JM-FAT!
My Offsets:
Fender Cyclone - 1x Vintage White, 1x Pewter
Fender Mod Shop Jazzmaster - Fiesta Red

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:03 pm

I got a set of Timbo's, Sunday Handwound Fat 52's 5/2, that have Alnico 5 rod magnets on the low (wound) strings and Alnico 2 on the high. I like them a lot.

https://soundcloud.com/timbo_93631/fat- ... et-pickups

cuethenoise
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cuethenoise » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:54 am

peterjh85 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:38 pm
cuethenoise wrote:
I loved a set of Novak JM90's I had in an AM Pro JM. Nice mid range push and plenty of clarity still. Let us know what you think of the JM-V and JM-FAT!
Played with them a little last night (couldn't be too loud because the kids were in bed), but man what a difference. Notes have more clarity and cream to them and the pickups just have way more balls than the stock v-mod pups. So much happier now!

NoelEiffe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NoelEiffe » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 am

cuethenoise wrote:
Played with them a little last night (couldn't be too loud because the kids were in bed), but man what a difference. Notes have more clarity and cream to them and the pickups just have way more balls than the stock v-mod pups. So much happier now!
Cool. How's the noise overall?

cuethenoise
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cuethenoise » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:58 am

Sorry I'm just now replying, but the noise is about average for a single coil guitar. I did purchase a boss ns2 pedal and its pretty much silent now.