AV65 Jag pickups output

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
blackbox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

AV65 Jag pickups output

Post by blackbox » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:14 pm

I recently picked up an upgraded AV62 Jazzmaster with SD Antiquity I pickups. Upon comparing the output to my AV65 Jag (which is typically the only guitar I play other than my baritone Jag), I was kind of stunned by how much higher output the JM pickups are. So much so, that I almost wonder if something's off here. Quite frankly, the JM sounds better, richer, and more complex. Are the AV65 Jag pickups just really low output?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AV65 Jag pickups output

Post by Embenny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Well, JM pickups are richer and more complex-sounding than jag pickups IMO, to begin with. Antiquity I's are made with alnico 2 and are the warmer and fuller of the two Antiquity JM offerings, so that's yet another step toward fullness vs the jag pickups. The Duncans are decently hotly-wound (8.2k I believe) vs the AV65 jags at 6.8k.

All in all, between those two pickup models, it's no surprise that you find the JM to be louder and fuller. It's got a louder and fuller-spec set of pickups in it!

However, it's key to make sure your jag pickups are set high enough. I find jags really suffer (more than some Fenders) if the pickups are set too low. I try to set the neck pickup as high as I can before it gets "strat-itis"/wolftones and then raise the bridge pickup to try to match its output.

If you want to have a pickup setting that is louder and fuller, consider adding the "all down=series" mod to your jag. A very useful tone, especially if you're looking for something thicker.

Edit for phone autocorrect issues.
Last edited by Embenny on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

blackbox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blackbox » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:20 pm

cool, thanks for the tips man

secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by secretroutines » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:24 pm

blackbox wrote:I recently picked up an upgraded AV62 Jazzmaster with SD Antiquity I pickups. Upon comparing the output to my AV65 Jag (which is typically the only guitar I play other than my baritone Jag), I was kind of stunned by how much higher output the JM pickups are. So much so, that I almost wonder if something's off here. Quite frankly, the JM sounds better, richer, and more complex. Are the AV65 Jag pickups just really low output?
Don't worry there's no issue, Jms have higher output pickups than jags. Jm pickups have a really interesting design that allows them to have a lot of range and clarity.
mbene085 wrote:Well, JM pickups are richer and more complex-sounding than jag pickups IMO, to begin with. Antiquity I's are made with alnico 2 and are the warmer and fuller of the two Antiquity JM offerings, so that's yet another step toward fullness vs the jag pickups. The Duncans are decently hotly-wound (8.2k I believe) vs the AV65 jags at 6.8k.
The antiquity line is actually roughly the same spec for both jms and jags. Antiquity i's use alnico 2, antiquity ii's use alnico 5; both series have "vintage" output ratings (6ish for jags and 8ish for jms, which seems to be the accepted standard for vintage spec). The difference that you hear is 1. the way the coils are wound and 2. the output difference. Jms are flat wound so to increased capacitance reduces the treble, the higher output is to retain note articulation resulting in a warmer sound than jag pickups which are essentially slightly hotter strat pickups with a fancy claw to shield them. The magnets have more to do with the response of the pickup since they are what is actually feeding the signal to the coil, hotter magnets react more to string vibrations than softer magnets.

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Francer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:02 am

Yep, i'm with mbene085, check the height, i find Jags can sound a bit 'meh' if they aren't high enough for my taste.

I have AV65 pups in my MIJ and my actual AV65 Jags - and they probably are a little bit lower output than my JM but i certainly don't find them lacking in character.

Good luck, hope you see an improvement, a sweet sounding Jag is a beautiful thing :)