Suhr Classic JM Pro

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Gav Haus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Suhr Classic JM Pro

Post by Gav Haus » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:41 pm

S'poopins
http://wearerichlist.com

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:35 pm

I mean, I think this shows the difficulty in being a guitar designer more than anything else. I'm sure it's a great guitar, whatever you'd call it. But if the guy just built a Jazzmaster, well, that would be lame. If the guy made this (and he's a hell of a nice guy) then it's not really a Jazzmaster and people will say that's lame.

Me, I think it's just because the world is inundated with electric guitars and they themselves aren't fresh or new. We're to be excited by the same old technology repackaged and puffed up but it's still the same magnets and wires as it ever was.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:20 pm

Larry Mal wrote:I mean, I think this shows the difficulty in being a guitar designer more than anything else. I'm sure it's a great guitar, whatever you'd call it. But if the guy just built a Jazzmaster, well, that would be lame. If the guy made this (and he's a hell of a nice guy) then it's not really a Jazzmaster and people will say that's lame.

Me, I think it's just because the world is inundated with electric guitars and they themselves aren't fresh or new. We're to be excited by the same old technology repackaged and puffed up but it's still the same magnets and wires as it ever was.
Yeah, but this guitar was obviously patterned on the Squier Jagmaster and not the Fender Jazzmaster - the strat bridge and humbuckers make it an obvious comparison. Not what a high-end company would want to do, I would think.

Better to go with a TOM and cooy Fano than a strat bridge and cooy Squier, if you want to charge $2k for it...
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:03 pm

Yes, it is a shame that the name alone imparts some baggage, at least in some crowds, when it is doubtless a very made, good playing and sounding guitar.

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:14 am

I'm not sure what would make this guitar more desireable that it's competition? If you are in the market for a guitar of this value, is this one much better than a guitar from the likes of Fano?
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:23 am

Horrible pickguard, terrible headstock (better than their usual modified Samick headstock though), no vibrato, overpriced, etc.
TGP will go crazy for these though I bet.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:40 am

I could tell the tread content by reading the title... I mean, whether it's cool or not is beside the point, but of course everybody would jump and say it's shit because it's not an AVRI or VM. "Les Paul" pickups LOL

The target market for these is definitely not whoever posts in this forum... it's for people who want a shredder that ressembles that "hipster guitar, what's the name of that again?".
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:49 am

this is coming from a guy who loves jagmasters.

WHY NOT JUST BUY A STRAT FFS?

ok, i get that jazzmasters/jaguars "feel" bigger but let's be honest. if you're going to spend £1800+ on a jagmaster, why not buy a jagmaster?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:38 am

Or a Fernandes Decade Custom, which shares the slightly downsized body and all.

"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:50 am

Back in the late 90s, before Fender really ramped up offset production, Fernandes made a guitar that looked exactly like this and there was one other cheap brand that did it too. Those were your options if you couldn't find a Japanese made Jazzmaster or a vintage one, something that looked vaguely like a JM but with Strat pickups and wiggle stick. Didn't want one then and don't want one now.

Reverend was just starting up, so sometimes you'd get offered that or an Ibanez Talisman that had been hanging around unsold forever. A little more palatable but still not what I was looking for, thanks.

amv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by amv » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:30 am

I'll never understand peoples' aesthetics on this forum. If there's one thing I've noticed (long before this thread), it's that like nine out of 10 boutique guitars posted on here have pickguards that look like a child's scribble, with weird crimps and corners and angles going in every which way, and minimal attention paid to the surrounding curves of the body. It's the strangest thing. And across aaaall those posts, I can maybe remember one time someone seemed to notice or care enough to mention it.

Now, finally, despite whatever other flaws this guitar might have, a luthier actually manages a pickguard that consistently follows the curves of the body, and everyone's lining up to shit on it. I just... I... I...

I agree it's not the most compelling JM clone on the market, but this pickguard discussion really makes me feel like I need to be taking crazy pills or something.

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:31 am

Relevant and humorous:
https://instagram.com/p/BPauA3UADFz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Yeah, the pick guard criticism seemed weird to me too since it's the same shape as a Jazzmaster's. I mean I think JMs are kind of ugly in general but I figured I would be an extreme minority on this forum. Am I missing something about the pick guard on this Suhr?

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 pm

amv wrote:I'll never understand peoples' aesthetics on this forum. If there's one thing I've noticed (long before this thread), it's that like nine out of 10 boutique guitars posted on here have pickguards that look like a child's scribble, with weird crimps and corners and angles going in every which way, and minimal attention paid to the surrounding curves of the body. It's the strangest thing. And across aaaall those posts, I can maybe remember one time someone seemed to notice or care enough to mention it.

Now, finally, despite whatever other flaws this guitar might have, a luthier actually manages a pickguard that consistently follows the curves of the body, and everyone's lining up to shit on it. I just... I... I...

I agree it's not the most compelling JM clone on the market, but this pickguard discussion really makes me feel like I need to be taking crazy pills or something.
W
Err.. What pickguard discussion? Only one member mentioned it.

I like the pickguard and btw, I agree. .. ive seen some awful looking pickguards on high end instruments.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:59 pm

Looking at that pickguard is like shitting on your own neck. Sure, with great effort, you can do it. You can do it.

But it's ultimately not much of a payoff.

How's that?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.