Question / Help: Fender Modern Player Marauder - Neck Pickup

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Lith1um
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Question / Help: Fender Modern Player Marauder - Neck Pickup

Post by Lith1um » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:21 am

Hi everybody,
First time poster here!

I am completely in love with the tone on the Fender Modern Playyer Marauder Jazzmaster neck pickup - thick, smooth and works great with ProCo Rat 2 and high distortion and cuts through the mix like butter (through a Hot Rod Deluxe III) - and I'd like to put similar sounding pickups in my Squire J. Mascis Jazzmaster. Absolutely fantastic clean tones as well! I recently put a pair of Creamery Classic '58 Jazzmaster pickups and while they are lovely, they are not exactly the tone I was looking for and do not sound as ballsy as the Marauder pickup at high gain.

Which after market pickups, in your opinion, will get me as close as possible to the Marauder neck pup sound? Perhaps SD Antiquity IIs ? Or perhaps Seymour Duncan SJM-2? Here it is in action: https://youtu.be/2ATZsuxxT7k?t=2m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I imagine the pup is a bit hotter than a regular Jazzmaster pickup and uses Alnico 5 magnets, but I couldn't find any specs on magnets, output, etc...

I would really appreciate your help because I've been going crazy in the last few days listening to pickup demos and researching specs
Last edited by Lith1um on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Question / Help: Fender Marauder - Neck Pickup

Post by gutter rock » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:53 pm

I would take the pickup out and measure the resistance. Then you would know the output a bit better and could find a jazzmaster pup in that same range. I used to have a Marauder and I remember liking that pickup quite a bit as well. It did seem a little more ballsy than typical JM pups, I would bet it is a bit hotter output.

Lith1um
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Lith1um » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:38 am

gutter rock wrote:I would take the pickup out and measure the resistance. Then you would know the output a bit better and could find a jazzmaster pup in that same range. I used to have a Marauder and I remember liking that pickup quite a bit as well. It did seem a little more ballsy than typical JM pups, I would bet it is a bit hotter output.
Thanks a lot for your feedback, gutter rock. I will probably do so as this information doesn't seem to be readily available anywhere. Cheers!

ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:13 am

If you're talking about the 2011 RI, I think they used a Modern Player Jazzmaster pickup which is hotter and less like a traditional JM pickup.

Ben17e
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ben17e » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:55 am

If it is a modern player Jazzmaster Pickup its more p-90 like. I quite like those as well even though many here wouldn't not say they do I'm sure.. You should be able to get the real thing though if that is the pickup. I would think they have ceramic magnets? No?

Lith1um
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Lith1um » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:01 am

Indeed it's the Modern Player Jazzmaster pickup that's on the Fender Modern Player Marauder from 2011. I haven't been able to find these pickups sold seperately though, nor did I find any information on the type of magnets they use or their output.

A year ago when i got my Marauder I did remove the pickup in orded to put more foam underneath and it had the classical Jazzmaster design - no P90-ish metal plate at the bottom like for example the JMJM pickups have (which are very much P90s in a Jazzmaster form from what I understand.)

I emailed Jaime from The Creamery Pickups and he kindly agreed to research the pickup and let me know of the details. I will also share them here once I get his feedback. The Modern Player Jazzmaster pickup is brilliant, to my ears at least, and the world needs to know this information :)

Lith1um
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Question / Help: Fender Modern Player Marauder - Neck Pi

Post by Lith1um » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:09 am

Fender Consumer Relations confirmed the Modern Player Jazzmaster pickup uses ceramic rod magnets, but as it was OEM built - they don't have a spec sheet.
Info on resistance and output - still pending.

Klootzak
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Question / Help: Fender Modern Player Marauder - Neck Pickup

Post by Klootzak » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:55 am

Just want to echo the thoughts here. I have a few guitars, and absolutely love the Modern Player Marauder neck pickup. It works fantastically through my DSL 50.
I emailed Fender for the part number but have not seen one come up anywhere.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:52 pm

I think - but I was unable to confirm with a quick lazy search - that the Jazzmaster pickup in the Modern Player Marauder is the same as the neck pickup in the Blacktop Jazzmaster HS.

Not sure if anyone else can confirm or deny, but if that is the case then it might make it easier for you to source a duplicate.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:59 pm

ToneFerDayz!!1! wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:13 am
If you're talking about the 2011 RI, I think they used a Modern Player Jazzmaster pickup which is hotter and less like a traditional JM pickup.
Unless there's another Modern Player model that I'm unfamiliar with, it isn't that; the MP Jazzmaster was HH and there was also a Jaguar that had P90s. I don't think anything in the Modern Player line (other than the Marauder) used Jazzmaster pickups / anything in Jazzmaster pickup casing.

I own a Blacktop Jazzmaster, and I was under the impression that it has the same neck pickup as the MP Marauder - is that what you're thinking of?

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:38 pm

This thread reminded me the original Marauder existed. I love the Type II, look at all those switches! Starcaster headstock! Mustang style vibrato! Strat pickup layout! It's a total hybrid of chaos.

Sorry for being off-topic, it's just one of those rare guitars that is totally odd, brilliant looking and will never be reissued probably as it wasn't ever truly released in the first place. It's an offset as well. :w00t:
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"