2017 AMERICAN PROFESSIONAL JAZZMASTER/JAGUAR

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 2017 AMERICAN PROFESSIONAL JAZZMASTER/JAGUAR

Post by sunburster » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:14 am

Nice comparison video of the AP Jaguar and the AV65 Jaguar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOPzEEC6GmQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last few minutes are clean pickup comparisons. I don't like the AP Jag pickups - they sound like a run-of-the-mill Strat, really lacking the distinct "Jaguar" character you hear in the AV65 pickups.

nucleardonut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nucleardonut » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:27 am

sunburster wrote:Nice comparison video of the AP Jaguar and the AV65 Jaguar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOPzEEC6GmQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last few minutes are clean pickup comparisons. I don't like the AP Jag pickups - they sound like a run-of-the-mill Strat, really lacking the distinct "Jaguar" character you hear in the AV65 pickups.
That target-burst! :?

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:41 pm

sunburster wrote:Nice comparison video of the AP Jaguar and the AV65 Jaguar:

Thanks for posting the video.

Agree with your comments about the sounds of the guitars.

eligit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eligit » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:14 pm

It was very interesting to note that the new JM pups are more strat like that traditional JM pups.
Now that I go back and listen to the demos they definitely sound more strat like than your average JM.
It's a perfectly nice tone to be sure, but yeah a more strat like tone.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:07 pm

This entire line does look very bizarre to me now. Other than being "American made", I don't see why you'd buy one of these over an MIJ. The colors are cool, but no matching headstocks kinda ruin even that for me. I suppose if you just really like the feel of a maple neck, then that could be a reason to choose one of these. Or you're just really, really angry about the very existence of the Jazzmaster rhythm circuit. (Then again, you could just not use it.) But everything else is just so similar to the MIJ's, except even less compatible with other US Jazzmasters. And these are more expensive.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:36 pm

spacecadet wrote:This entire line does look very bizarre to me now. Other than being "American made", I don't see why you'd buy one of these over an MIJ. The colors are cool, but no matching headstocks kinda ruin even that for me. I suppose if you just really like the feel of a maple neck, then that could be a reason to choose one of these. Or you're just really, really angry about the very existence of the Jazzmaster rhythm circuit. (Then again, you could just not use it.) But everything else is just so similar to the MIJ's, except even less compatible with other US Jazzmasters. And these are more expensive.
Also, Other than being USA built I don't see why anyone would choose these as good as the MIM 60's Lacquer Series are? For way less money.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:24 pm

Larsongs wrote:
spacecadet wrote:This entire line does look very bizarre to me now. Other than being "American made", I don't see why you'd buy one of these over an MIJ. The colors are cool, but no matching headstocks kinda ruin even that for me. I suppose if you just really like the feel of a maple neck, then that could be a reason to choose one of these. Or you're just really, really angry about the very existence of the Jazzmaster rhythm circuit. (Then again, you could just not use it.) But everything else is just so similar to the MIJ's, except even less compatible with other US Jazzmasters. And these are more expensive.
Also, Other than being USA built I don't see why anyone would choose these as good as the MIM 60's Lacquer Series are? For way less money.
My problem with the 60's Lacquer Series is the lack of colour options and 7.25" radius.
I used to really like 7.25, but since acquiring a Gibson SG I can't help but feel like the 7.25 has too much of a round feel for me now. I hope to see something like the Thin Skin series become a regular offering. Vintage finish, pickups and circuit, but with a modern radius and fretwire. That's my ideal JM/Jag. Should have snagged one long ago when they weren't rare and expensive. Then again this was before buying a 12" radius guitar, so I didn't yet become irreversibly uncomfortable with 7.25.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:06 am

What's "bizarre" about a new JM version?

Other than being american made, having a maple neck, having exclusive colors and having different electrics and pickups... yeah apart from that I don't see why you'd buy them over an MIJ!!!! It's insane isn't it?

Gees, these crazy guitar companies should stop flooding us with options like this, it's nonsense...
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:38 am

I tend to feel that these guitars are an alternative more than anything. The vintage spec thing is well covered by Fender, at a whole lot of price points and frankly, it's all of high quality. The vintage style Jazzmaster and Jaguar is better represented than it's ever been, and accessible to more people than ever. I think even I wouldn't be able to accuse Fender of not caring about the models at this point.

And sure, the new American Pros might not have vintage correct pickups in them, but they don't claim to, either. I never thought I would like these guitars better than the AVRI lineup or the vintage spec'd guitars. Overall I think on paper they are good guitars and will probably sell well.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:25 am

Larry Mal wrote:I tend to feel that these guitars are an alternative more than anything. The vintage spec thing is well covered by Fender, at a whole lot of price points and frankly, it's all of high quality. The vintage style Jazzmaster and Jaguar is better represented than it's ever been, and accessible to more people than ever. I think even I wouldn't be able to accuse Fender of not caring about the models at this point.

And sure, the new American Pros might not have vintage correct pickups in them, but they don't claim to, either. I never thought I would like these guitars better than the AVRI lineup or the vintage spec'd guitars. Overall I think on paper they are good guitars and will probably sell well.
Maybe it's the name "American Pro" that doesn't work for these Guitars. I don't think they would be the first choice of American Pro's. Or most Pro's from anywhere. I gotta believe they would prefer vintage & vintage spec Jags & JM's.

Maybe they should've been named "American Modern Series"? Seems more accurate.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:28 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Larsongs wrote:
My problem with the 60's Lacquer Series is the lack of colour options and 7.25" radius.
I used to really like 7.25, but since acquiring a Gibson SG I can't help but feel like the 7.25 has too much of a round feel for me now. I hope to see something like the Thin Skin series become a regular offering. Vintage finish, pickups and circuit, but with a modern radius and fretwire. That's my ideal JM/Jag. Should have snagged one long ago when they weren't rare and expensive. Then again this was before buying a 12" radius guitar, so I didn't yet become irreversibly uncomfortable with 7.25.
Agreed. It would be good to have Neck choices & more color options as these are really fine Guitars.

SSquirrel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SSquirrel » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:07 am

Larsongs wrote:Maybe it's the name "American Pro" that doesn't work for these Guitars. I don't think they would be the first choice of American Pro's. Or most Pro's from anywhere. I gotta believe they would prefer vintage & vintage spec Jags & JM's.

Considering the first thing that Sonic Youth always did was rip out the rhythym circuit and simplify controls, yeah I can see these being popular. If you view the extras on the AVRIs as just stuff you're never going to use, a more simplified model may appeal. The Lee and Thurston models had simplified controls and looked great and seemed pretty popular w/JM fans.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:54 am

SSquirrel wrote:
Larsongs wrote:Maybe it's the name "American Pro" that doesn't work for these Guitars. I don't think they would be the first choice of American Pro's. Or most Pro's from anywhere. I gotta believe they would prefer vintage & vintage spec Jags & JM's.

Considering the first thing that Sonic Youth always did was rip out the rhythym circuit and simplify controls, yeah I can see these being popular. If you view the extras on the AVRIs as just stuff you're never going to use, a more simplified model may appeal. The Lee and Thurston models had simplified controls and looked great and seemed pretty popular w/JM fans.
Considering one Band as the Guage for all Professional Jag & JM Guitarists is a bit extreme.

I use the Rhythm Circuits on both of Jags & JM's. I think the problem is a lot of Guitarists don't know how to use the Rhythm Circuits. To me it's comparable to tearing out half of your Guitar Amp. Why would you do that?

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:10 am

leokula wrote:What's "bizarre" about a new JM version?
The fact that it's like an MIJ, only worse and more expensive.
Other than being american made, having a maple neck, having exclusive colors and having different electrics and pickups... yeah apart from that I don't see why you'd buy them over an MIJ!!!! It's insane isn't it?
Pickups don't look any different to me - in fact they seem to actually copy the not-well-regarded MIJ pickups. Only difference about the electrics is the removal of something.
Gees, these crazy guitar companies should stop flooding us with options like this, it's nonsense...
They actually should. There's really no logical defense I can think of for this. Fender's giving you less and charging you more than another Fender guitar that already exists. Given that these don't have matching headstocks anyway, even if you really wanted a maple neck, you could buy an MIJ, buy a maple neck for it and *still* spend less. And then you'd have two necks!

This is like a car company releasing a new version of the same car without power windows or locks, calling it "Professional" to make it not sound like the downgrade that it is and then charging twice as much for it because it's "made in America". Yes, companies absolutely should stop doing crap like that. Having "options" is no defense for that.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:32 am

Matching headstock? That's totally subjective, some people hate matching headstocks.

Saying it's like a MIJ is so random, it's like saying its like a Squier, really... not sure what's your obsession with MIJ's here. They're similar to MIJ as much as they're similar to AVRI or CP... why even mention MIJ?

I'm not going to discuss marketing, as it's again, subjective... professional doesn't even mean anything these days, it's just what they decided to call it, I'm pretty sure nobody is going to buy them solely based on their "professional" status.

Anyway, life goes on, Fender is still making millions despite your market insights, the Cribs are rocking these am pro guitars, if it's good for the Jarmans, it sure is good for me :)
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)