Just ordered one of these...Gibson content...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Just ordered one of these...Gibson content...

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:00 pm

Oh, good. Let us know how it is, I read a review of someone who played one in a Guitar Center and would like to hear something a little more in depth.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

backporchmusic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by backporchmusic » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:18 pm

It's going back.

Arrived with 2 big dents in the upper horn. So, it's a blem.

But I'm not bothering with an exchange. Why? It's got more neck dive than I would like. It's much cheaper feeling than I imagined, even at the price point. The screws holding the truss cover on are tiny like electronics screws, and the cover itself is paper thin. The bridge tilts on the two mounts so it sits at an angle, which is an issue--even adjusted all the way down, the low E action is still too high. My BC Rich with a similar bridge does not do that. Sound is muted yet plinky. The chrome on the bridge height adjusted was marred in set-up in the factory, which makes me think the parts are cheaper crap like import stuff. Did I mention it just feels cheap?

My Squier Bullet HH Strat seems very similar in terms of quality and color scheme, but is much funner to play. It was also $89.

I know, I know it's cheap--what did I expect? Well, I got 2012 ('baked maple') LP Junior Special for $499 when they were being blown out by MF. That guitar is miles ahead of this one in terms of build quality. Completely different league. I did play 10 different ones (4 different stores in 3 states) in order to pick the good one I got, but...

So..it's going back. Oh well. At least I bought it and played it before I decided it was a piece of junk.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Thanks for the review! I am very much reconsidering this guitar. For the $500, even, there are a lot of other things I would rather have, even as far as guitars go.

And yeah, I got one of those Les Paul Junior Specials also and thought they were pretty good. I had an actual Junior that I liked better, though.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:09 am

I guess we now know how they're making these at this price point.

You have to wonder why someone would go for one of these over an Epiphone, which will probably have better parts and build quality.

On the plus side the pelham blue Firebird V/Standards are hitting shelves shortly. If I can get my hands on one to try out I might be tempted ...

Johnny Burrito
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Burrito » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:42 am

Despot wrote: You have to wonder why someone would go for one of these over an Epiphone, which will probably have better parts and build quality.
Not really. This thing is 100% made for people who want to say they own a Gibson and not an Epiphone. Nothing to do with aesthetics or quality.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:02 am

Despot wrote:I guess we now know how they're making these at this price point.

You have to wonder why someone would go for one of these over an Epiphone, which will probably have better parts and build quality.

On the plus side the pelham blue Firebird V/Standards are hitting shelves shortly. If I can get my hands on one to try out I might be tempted ...
I would really like a Pelham blue Firebird V. But how many Firebirds does one person need...

niemand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niemand » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:33 pm

Last edited by niemand on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JKR » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:44 am

My wife often reminds me....if the price is too good to be true....
Nice review!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:03 am

backporchmusic wrote:It's going back.

Arrived with 2 big dents in the upper horn. So, it's a blem.

But I'm not bothering with an exchange. Why? It's got more neck dive than I would like. It's much cheaper feeling than I imagined, even at the price point. The screws holding the truss cover on are tiny like electronics screws, and the cover itself is paper thin. The bridge tilts on the two mounts so it sits at an angle, which is an issue--even adjusted all the way down, the low E action is still too high. My BC Rich with a similar bridge does not do that. Sound is muted yet plinky. The chrome on the bridge height adjusted was marred in set-up in the factory, which makes me think the parts are cheaper crap like import stuff. Did I mention it just feels cheap?

My Squier Bullet HH Strat seems very similar in terms of quality and color scheme, but is much funner to play. It was also $89.

I know, I know it's cheap--what did I expect? Well, I got 2012 ('baked maple') LP Junior Special for $499 when they were being blown out by MF. That guitar is miles ahead of this one in terms of build quality. Completely different league. I did play 10 different ones (4 different stores in 3 states) in order to pick the good one I got, but...

So..it's going back. Oh well. At least I bought it and played it before I decided it was a piece of junk.
One Guitar & you make final judgement on all of them? I went thru 3 really poor quality Squier VMJM's before I posted my final judgements of them here.

I have had many not so nice comments made towards me afterward. Yet know one makes any to you after trying just one of those Guitars?

I think you're entitled to judge that one Guitar. But not all of them. There may be many that are ok or good.

Like the VM's they may be platforms to Mod.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:32 am

I mean I think the complaints he listed would be pretty universal to the whole experience?

Ben17e
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ben17e » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:29 am

I think the complaints listed show inferior hardware and poor neck angle/height which would be fairly universal as well as the mention of cheap parts. Disappointing to hear as I was somewhat interested...not that I have a need for any more guitars. I would buy a non-Gibson LP anyway if I buy again. I always seem to sell my LP's but I have had two Gibsons and an Epiphone and played many more of each...I feel the Epiphone higher end guitars are often better than most Gibsons at least under the 2k mark. I don't have much experience over that as I won't pay that for a LP. Once we enter that range, I'm getting something custom made.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Ben17e wrote:I think the complaints listed show inferior hardware and poor neck angle/height which would be fairly universal as well as the mention of cheap parts. Disappointing to hear as I was somewhat interested...not that I have a need for any more guitars. I would buy a non-Gibson LP anyway if I buy again. I always seem to sell my LP's but I have had two Gibsons and an Epiphone and played many more of each...I feel the Epiphone higher end guitars are often better than most Gibsons at least under the 2k mark. I don't have much experience over that as I won't pay that for a LP. Once we enter that range, I'm getting something custom made.
If you're buying a cheap Guitar you can't really expect it to be a Top Of The Line Guitar can you?????

Most cheap Guitars have cheap Parts. Including Fender, Squier & all the others.

I doubt all of the Zero Firebirds come with Dings & scratches. Neck angle could be subjective as far as being something that is unfixable. As are the Poster's other complaints.

One persons experience on one Guitar shouldn't dissuade others from buying one.

I had a terrible experience with 3 brand new VMJM's. All 3 were POS. It could have been a particular Run of Guitars? I don't think so but I don't really know? But evidently they all aren't like that or all you guys wouldn't still be buying them.

This Thread shouldn't dissuade anyone from buying a Firebird Zero & finding out for yourself.

backporchmusic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by backporchmusic » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:36 pm

I'll try any that I see in store to see if they are all about the same, but I didn't want to play 'send it back' with musicians friend for a month just to try another one. My issues with it were with such that I don't think it was a lemon, it was probably fairly representative.

My $499 LP Jr. Special did not seem compromised in any way, which is not the case with this model. Seriously, the truss cover was guitar pick thin. Seems like they cut corners to save pennies, not just dollars.

Subgenius
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Subgenius » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:34 pm

I happened to see one the other day in a pistachio green ( they might call it seafoam but it's not) that actually looked cool. Played like shit since it was never set up but I'm sure it would be a great player. They're pretty light. Id rock it.

wattage
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by wattage » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:49 pm

I've had my Zero for about a month now played it's first gig last night. Definitely a fun guitar and totally a keeper for me. The weight is all win for gigging. I had this and my Mira last night for an NYC gig and they couldn't have weighed 12 lbs together with the bags. Neck dive is very easy to deal with on the strap. I sing lead and play guitar, I didn't find myself fighting it at all. Larger side dots wouldn't be a bad thing for gigging but that isn't unique to this guitar.

I've changed to retro aluminum tuner knobs. The small black stock vol/tone knobs weren't working for me, couldn't grab them easily. These are waaaay better and visually I totally dig them, also like to get a chrome or aluminum switch tip just to make it easier to see onstage. The finish runs towards the thin n' soft side so it's picked up a few minor surface scratches and got a small chip on the bottom edge some where along the line.

I did full setup on it: smoothed out the board and put some F-One oil on it (love that stuff), cleaned up a few fret ends, gave the frets a good polish and re-did the intonation. Plays like a charm! I love the neck profile and it has a nice, thick slab of rosewood on it, no baked or fake woods. It has a distinct Melody Maker meets a Fender vibe to it but still comes off as a Gibson. I wouldn't mind being able to get the bridge a little lower on the treble side but it plays fine.

The pickups have grown on me quite a bit. While I would like adjustable pole pieces I've got them dialed in pretty well and I like their tone. Humbucker with maybe a bit of Ric tone in there. USA pots, switch and jack would be nice but these work well for now, see how they hold up.

I'd buy another no doubt (gold or blue?) and if they make a lefty I'll be there the day they get delivered to the store. Flip that sucker over and string it righty.