Show your Squier Mascis JM Mods/Improvements!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Show your Squier Mascis JM Mods/Improvements!

Post by NICQ » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:Staytrem sells conversion thimbles that drop right in, no drill required. Very surprised they didn't tell you this
I replaced the Tune-o-matic on my Thurston Moore Signature with those and it was easier than I thought..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykWHdRypMUM

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:58 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:Staytrem sells conversion thimbles that drop right in, no drill required. Very surprised they didn't tell you this
Did you miss something? :)
R_Steezy wrote:I emailed them today and John said the following: "We did make a conversion to fit a Staytrem bridge to a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster but I am sorry to say that this is now discontinued."
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

R_Steezy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by R_Steezy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:11 pm

http://staytrem.com/Conversion-thimble

Found the section of the website where they may have been sold. No sizes are listed in the drop-down, so between this and John's email I think we can absolutely confirm these are discontinued. So... does anyone else make conversion thimbles? Anyone got a extra pair I can buy off ya?

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mizbiz » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:41 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Did you miss something?
R_Steezy wrote:I emailed them today and John said the following: "We did make a conversion to fit a Staytrem bridge to a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster but I am sorry to say that this is now discontinued."
I think there is some minor confusion here that I might be able to clear up. Staytrem made a direct drop on for J Mascis and Classic Player Jazzmasters. It resembled a normal Staytrem bridge, but it had the posts removed and two large holes in their place. This was designed to directly sit on the existing Tune-O-Matic posts after the bridge was removed. These were discontinued sometime late 2015 or early 2016 I believe. Check out this image here to see one:

However, Staytrem also developed conversion thimbles. They would fit the much larger diameter bridge height adjustment thimble holes left in the body once the Tune-O-Matic thimbles were removed. These thimbles were designed to work with any Jazzmaster / Jaguar / Mustang bridge with two rocking posts. As far as I know, these were not officially discontinued and should still be available on the website. However, they are not:

One could easily interchange them since they were two separate remedies for the same issue, and I believe that Mechanical Birds might have in suggesting the conversion thimbles. I assume, since the response from Staytrem said "We did make a conversion to fit a Staytrem bridge to a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster but I am sorry to say that this is now discontinued," that it is referencing the conversion thimbles. In any case, it seems that you may be out of luck. You might want to test out modifying a standard set of thimbles by wrapping them in layers aluminum tape until they fit the existing tune-o-matic holes, or you can try modifying a cheap mustang bridge and drill out the posts to fit the existing tune-o-matic posts (much like the above picture). Either way, I would recommend doing it with a cheap bridge first as a test. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322360525179?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Good luck!

R_Steezy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by R_Steezy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:21 pm

mizbiz wrote:
andy_tchp wrote:
Did you miss something?
I think there is some minor confusion here that I might be able to clear up. Staytrem made a direct drop on for J Mascis and Classic Player Jazzmasters. It resembled a normal Staytrem bridge, but it had the posts removed and two large holes in their place. This was designed to directly sit on the existing Tune-O-Matic posts after the bridge was removed. These were discontinued sometime late 2015 or early 2016 I believe. Check out this image here to see one:

However, Staytrem also developed conversion thimbles. They would fit the much larger diameter bridge height adjustment thimble holes left in the body once the Tune-O-Matic thimbles were removed. These thimbles were designed to work with any Jazzmaster / Jaguar / Mustang bridge with two rocking posts. As far as I know, these were not officially discontinued and should still be available on the website. However, they are not:

One could easily interchange them since they were two separate remedies for the same issue, and I believe that Mechanical Birds might have in suggesting the conversion thimbles. I assume, since the response from Staytrem said "We did make a conversion to fit a Staytrem bridge to a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster but I am sorry to say that this is now discontinued," that it is referencing the conversion thimbles. In any case, it seems that you may be out of luck. You might want to test out modifying a standard set of thimbles by wrapping them in layers aluminum tape until they fit the existing tune-o-matic holes, or you can try modifying a cheap mustang bridge and drill out the posts to fit the existing tune-o-matic posts (much like the above picture). Either way, I would recommend doing it with a cheap bridge first as a test. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322360525179?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Good luck!
Thank you! That was incredibly helpful at piecing this all together. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm indeed out of luck on a new Staytrem. I could try drilling a mustang bridge but the radius won't match, right? (7.25 vs 9.5)

If anybody out there has an extra Staytrem bridge direct drop-in or the conversion thimbles, I'm looking! $$

monsterdonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by monsterdonkey » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:16 pm

I had my Tuneomatic thimbles pulled and replaced with vintage spec on my CP. It was fast and cheap and now I can swap bridges around all day long. I think the Staytrem bridge is worth the trouble.

d-f
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by d-f » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:36 pm

monsterdonkey wrote:I had my Tuneomatic thimbles pulled and replaced with vintage spec on my CP. It was fast and cheap and now I can swap bridges around all day long. I think the Staytrem bridge is worth the trouble.
I'm hoping to do this sometime soon on my CP jag. I was lucky to grab a pair of the conversion thimbles before they were discontinued. Did you use the method where you dropped in a screw and the turned in the bridge post? My problem is that I don't have the original TOM bridge, so I'll need to find a screw with the right threading/radius.

monsterdonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by monsterdonkey » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:33 pm

I used the method where I took it to a repair guy and let him do it. I've seen a thread on here somewhere with screws and heat guns but I decided against doing it myself.

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:53 am

I emailed John (@staytrem) two days ago reg. the thimbles, was told they are discontinued - and that he didn't know of any alternatives.

I seem to recall the Mastery thimble option is not as straight forward replacement as Staytrem's.

thejamboree
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thejamboree » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:02 pm

The holes in the SQJMJM are larger. I seem to remember the Staytrem site saying they were "12mm" while other models were "11mm". Annoying.

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mizbiz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:05 am

MotorBongo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MotorBongo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:13 am

I ran into a Fender Jazzmaster Tremolo Base Plate (with the Fender logo & the lock-button) so I put that on the Sq Mascis JM.
Using the 'stringholder' & spring parts from the Mascis.

It's not an easy swap. Needs more adjustment to get as good as it originally was... :o

Possibly related to the base plate thickness ? ...and the 'metal part below' (the 'edge-thing' that's connected to the base plate by the 3 screws) is also different.

I noticed the Fender base plate is actually THINNER: 1.23 mm (vs the 2.12 mm of the Squier) :-[ I do see this also on the VM base plates: thicker.

Anybody else recognizes this ?

(BTW, I assume the base plate I have is the US one, per http://www.alphabetcityblog.com/2012/02 ... emolo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; because of the nickel looking lock-button).

Regards/thanks
www.motorbongo.nl

OmarAfzaal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by OmarAfzaal » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:35 pm

This is no longer.

thecolorwaves
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thecolorwaves » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:21 am

I recently picked up a Japanese trem which I installed on my JMJM (I wanted the locking feature). The problem I'm having is that it's 'bottoming out'. It stops hard when pressed in just a little. Anyone experienced similar?

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:42 am

thecolorwaves wrote:I recently picked up a Japanese trem which I installed on my JMJM (I wanted the locking feature). The problem I'm having is that it's 'bottoming out'. It stops hard when pressed in just a little. Anyone experienced similar?
something to do with the tremolo lock? sounds like the tremolo lock it engaged.