Where did all the Jagmasters go?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Where did all the Jagmasters go?

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:08 am

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:41 am
Oh man! the early Jagmasters with the veneer fretboards are my favourite. Before they went with the Bullet truss rod.
I really want a mint condition sonic blue one!
One of my gear regrets is selling my blue-green Vista Jagmaster. It had a big finish chip which kind of ruined it in my eyes - maybe I should've just stuck some gaffa tape over it, or something. :fp:

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:35 am

tqi wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:51 am
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:09 am
Not salvageable I think, going to replace the neck entirely tbh. Maybe an aluminium bolt-on or other alternative material.
Eh? That seems a long stretch from "fret wear". Especially for such a rare guitar! Whatever you do, hang on to the old one so someone can get a fret replacement down the line! ;D
The cost to refret would be more than I paid for the whole guitar, might as well have some fun with it's replacement.

Don't worry I will be keeping the original neck as a memento of all the years of practice and discipline that went into making me the average player I am today ;)
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:21 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:35 am

Don't worry I will be keeping the original neck as a memento of all the years of practice and discipline that went into making me the average player I am today ;)
:D

That (and some sentimental value) is the exact reason why I still hold on to my two Les Pauls. I wouldn‘t be anywhere without them.

eternity9
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by eternity9 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:37 am

This thread reminded me of a guy who used to play in a couple bands around Reading, England about 10 years ago. He had at least 4 of these things, all modified in pretty similar ways (One knob, one Bridge humbucker). No idea what happened to him or the guitars lol, but I vaguely remember seeing one that looked similar in a local shop pre-covid for £150.

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:59 am

eternity9 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:37 am
This thread reminded me of a guy who used to play in a couple bands around Reading, England about 10 years ago. He had at least 4 of these things, all modified in pretty similar ways (One knob, one Bridge humbucker). No idea what happened to him or the guitars lol, but I vaguely remember seeing one that looked similar in a local shop pre-covid for £150.
Pretty sure that’s one of the Jagmasters I picked up recently. ‘95 neck stamp Vista. Currently with Copacetic.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:29 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:59 pm
I'm hoping to get started fixing up my old played to death Black Sparkle MIC Jagmaster that I got around 2006 / 2007 for my birthday as my first ''real'' guitar in the new year.

It got me thinking though, aside from myself, mcsleazy, and the guy from BearMakesNinja I've never seen another person using them.

Were they just not popular at the time? I find it hard to believe considering how difficult it was to get anything resembling an Offset in the early 2000's, but apart from my own I've never ever seen one for sale in any guitar shops or pawnstores.

Where did all the Vista and later Chinese series Jagmasters end up?
i have them all. i rented out a storage unit and they're all in there.

nah, in all seriousness, i think it's difficult to say. a lot of the vistas got parted out for the necks and the ones that didn't now are in their forever homes or stuck on reverb for stupid money.

the MIC ones are more common BUT i've kinda noticed a lot of the people that own them kinda see them as a stepping stone to "a real offset" like a jaguar or jazzmaster and as a result, doesn't really know how to sell them. last one i seen for sale, the ad basically said "jazzmaster for someone who doesn't want to deal with a jazzmaster trem" and it did stick around for quite a bit at £250.

a lot of the ebay ones seem to be all over the place price wise. which can make it more difficult to sell a guitar when no one can agree what they go for. so there's also that. i also kinda wonder if some of them aren't being held onto by blooze lawyer types who seen the CIJ/MIJ stuff go up in value and thenk "a rising tide lifts all ships and the kids are all about 90's nostalgia nowadays" but also waiting for the used market to recover to pre-pandemic levels.
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:08 am

One of my gear regrets is selling my blue-green Vista Jagmaster. It had a big finish chip which kind of ruined it in my eyes - maybe I should've just stuck some gaffa tape over it, or something. :fp:
my white one would probably horrify you then. it was the one owned by sumlin (chris from wolves of Greece/hey colossus) and it's horrific up close. there's old videos of him playing the guitar and i see why it ended up like that.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:52 am

Worn white would bother me less - the thing that really niggled was the visible layer of white primer around the edges of the roughly 10p-sized chip out of the bottom edge c/w the natural wood showing. Just spoiled the aesthetic in a way excessive wear doesn't really.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:55 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:21 am
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:35 am

:D

That (and some sentimental value) is the exact reason why I still hold on to my two Les Pauls. I wouldn‘t be anywhere without them.
It's totally sentimental for sure, and I wouldn't be the type of player I am today without it.

I would wake up in the morning, play the guitar, go to school, come home, do homework, play the guitar, sleep, repeat.

(I still can't sweep pick though :D )

My band is recording our debut album at the moment after loads of singles and E.P's, a few of the songs that will be on it were written on the Jagmaster back in the mid 2010s so it's nice to come full circle.

I only own 2 guitars at the moment that I use exclusively live and a Mustang bass so I'm looking forward to it being my home-based writing guitar that I can have setup permanently to my rig and looper without having to open gigbags etc ;)

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:36 am

I had a red Vista one for, like, a week. neck was super nice but aside from getting teh kurdtz vibes I couldn't really see the appeal. neither fish nor fowl, as they say.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:59 am

Just noticed they've reissued the black sparkle colour from the early 2000's Jagmaster run on the current Squier Affinity Jazzmasters as an FSR on Reverb