Show your Squier Mascis JM Mods/Improvements!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
shaggseb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Show your Squier Mascis JM Mods/Improvements!

Post by shaggseb » Tue May 15, 2012 3:38 am

MigJim wrote:Sorry to send the thread in a slightly different direction but....

I really want to replace the bridge on my j mascis, and came across this 'wilkinson ultimate roller bridge'

It seems to have adjustable radius, which is a big bonus.

Would this work as a replacement? Am I missing something, like string spacing or post spacing which would make this unsuitable?

http://www.axesrus.com/axeSolidBodyh.htm

It is about half way down the page on the above link
Look at my previous post with the pic, that's the one I have on my JMJM. The radius is not adjustable "per se". But each saddle is independent and you can drop a small piece of sheet metal underneath to adapt the radius. It's pretty a DIY solution but I think it would work. I think one member here did this on his mustang.
I will try to find his post.

shaggseb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shaggseb » Tue May 15, 2012 3:40 am

shaggseb wrote: I will try to find his post.
Here

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 45#p809394

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Tue May 15, 2012 4:26 am

shaggseb wrote:
shaggseb wrote: I will try to find his post.
Here

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 45#p809394
Would you reccomend the roller bridge or a Japanese Mustang bridge to replace a japanese Jag bridge?

shaggseb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shaggseb » Tue May 15, 2012 4:39 am

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Would you reccomend the roller bridge or a Japanese Mustang bridge to replace a japanese Jag bridge?
Well, since you'll need to redrill your Jag if you want to put the roller bridge, it depends on the problems you encounter with the original bridge and on how heavily you want to modify your guitar just to test a different bridge. If it was me, I would try a mustang bridge and a pro setup first.

joeybsyc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by joeybsyc » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:29 pm

Anyone put a tortoise AVRI guard on theirs? Does the guard cover the upper cavities completely? I just bought one that someone put an aftermarket (He says stew mac?) guard on, and part of the control cavity stick out around the gaurd on the upper bout... I don't wanna shell out 50 bucks for an AVRI one until I am sure i won't have similar issues.
Check out my little collection at http://vintagefenders.weebly.com

SneakyT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SneakyT » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:10 pm

joeybsyc wrote:Anyone put a tortoise AVRI guard on theirs? Does the guard cover the upper cavities completely? I just bought one that someone put an aftermarket (He says stew mac?) guard on, and part of the control cavity stick out around the gaurd on the upper bout... I don't wanna shell out 50 bucks for an AVRI one until I am sure i won't have similar issues.
no one ever answered this. The avri is an exact fit.
Troy Neagle Luthiery & Custom Pickguards

Please contact me at Reverb
https://reverb.com/shop/neagle-luthier

SuccessPastaTime
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SuccessPastaTime » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Hey, sorry to bring up an old topic for a first post, but I'm having a problem installing a new bridge on my J Mascis. I bought one of the Wilkinson Roller Bridges off of Guitar Fetish and it's not fitting correctly. Like, I can get one side of the post to fit into the bridge, but the other side ends up being literally a millimeter off and won't go into the post holes. Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or any solutions? Thank you ahead of time. :) I love my Jazzmaster and I wanna mod it to develop an even closer relationship with her. I love my baby. :D

JohnnyAtomic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JohnnyAtomic » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Hiflyer wrote:Here's mine:

All the electronics, the pickups (Mojo pickups), the pickguard and the bridge have been changed. It was a great guitar, it's now a killer guitar !
what pickguard is this???

Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dollywitch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:19 pm

So can I just pick up a J Mascis and shove a regular AVRI pickguard without modifications? That's pretty cool. Might be a better option for me than the VMs.

caliban
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by caliban » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:35 pm

maximee wrote:I've done some mods to mine.

Black pickguard, new pickups, slightly aged white covers, AVRI trem. Also bought a Mastery bridge, but in the end put it on my Bass VI.
Couldn't be bothered to re-drill the holes for the thimbles...
Instead, I filed off all the sharp corners on the TOM. I also widened the slots on the TOM and filed the saddles down to the proper 9.5" radius.
Plays and intonates perfectly. Stays in tune perfectly even with wild trem usage.
Do you find the AVRI-trem to make a big difference? And where did you buy the trem unit?

Reid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Reid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:22 pm

This is my JMJM, with a pickguard from here (eBay link, mods feel free to disable if it isn't supposed to be here): http://r.ebay.com/kdYiu2

It fit perfectly in terms of screw alignment, although because the guard is 3-Ply, the bridge won't sit as low on the body unless you file the holes out for the AOM posts. I just managed to get my action back to how I had it before, but I had to screw the posts down really tight on the guard.

At some point in the future, I'd like to add a Staytrem arm, a new nut and paint the headstock to match. It plays like a dream now so I'm in no rush! As much as I'd like a Mustang bridge on it, the band I'm playing in at the moment is super fast and heavy so at least with the AOM I don't have to think about the bridge.

spiral
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spiral » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:05 am

SuccessPastaTime wrote:[Wilkinson roller bridge] but the other side ends up being literally a millimeter off and won't go into the post holes. Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or any solutions?
You aren't doing anything wrong. I bought one for an Italia guitar and had the same issue. The solution is to dremel out / widen one side (or both) from the back. I found comments from other people who had the same issue.
Last edited by spiral on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mkt3000
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mkt3000 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Here's mine as it stands right now

AVRI Mint Guard + Shield, and an MIJ Trem.. just so I can lock the trem. I've got a Wilkinson roller bridge at home ready to go on it, but she's with my tech right now- I want a matching headstock..

Jimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jimbo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:12 pm

shaggseb wrote:I Put a tort AVRI guard and a wilkinson roller bridge. I thought about changing the trem to an AVRI one, but didn't find the need after the bridge upgrade.
Next step, a proper bone nut. I have no plan to change the pickup as I really love them.
Is the Wilkinson bridge a drop-in replacement?

EDIT: No need to respond. I've read the later posts.

Hiflyer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hiflyer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:33 am

JohnnyAtomic wrote:
Hiflyer wrote:Here's mine:

All the electronics, the pickups (Mojo pickups), the pickguard and the bridge have been changed. It was a great guitar, it's now a killer guitar !
what pickguard is this???
It's a WD tort.