Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
amv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by amv » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:33 am

Ridgeback wrote:Just got this one (used) a couple of months ago. Someone had done a lot of parts swapping\upgrading.

Spitfire PG, Mastery bridge and trem, white top hat knobs, fancy tone cap. Looks like a new nut to me as well. I couldn't resist as I particularly wanted to try out the Mastery trem. Fun guitar (but I really miss the rhythm circuit).

I'd recognize that masterpiece anywhere! Why on earth would the original owner ever part with something so beautiful!?

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =6&t=93552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ridgeback
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ridgeback » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:33 am

amv wrote:
Ridgeback wrote:Just got this one (used) a couple of months ago. Someone had done a lot of parts swapping\upgrading.

Spitfire PG, Mastery bridge and trem, white top hat knobs, fancy tone cap. Looks like a new nut to me as well. I couldn't resist as I particularly wanted to try out the Mastery trem. Fun guitar (but I really miss the rhythm circuit).

I'd recognize that masterpiece anywhere! Why on earth would the original owner ever part with something so beautiful!?

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... =6&t=93552
Same beastie alright. To be honest, I'll probably move it along as well in a year or two unless it really grows on me. I miss the conventional rhythm circuit and have a wonderful 64 that will be my long term keeper. I was always curious about the Marrs and this one was the right color and had all of the upgrades I would have wanted to do myself (but couldn't have justified the cost). Impulse buy.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Ridgeback wrote:
amv wrote:

vie ... =6&t=93552
Same beastie alright. To be honest, I'll probably move it along as well in a year or two unless it really grows on me. I miss the conventional rhythm circuit and have a wonderful 64 that will be my long term keeper. I was always curious about the Marrs and this one was the right color and had all of the upgrades I would have wanted to do myself (but couldn't have justified the cost). Impulse buy.
Hot damn is that ever a gorgeous jag. Spitfire on KO is a colour scheme I never thought of before - and it looks PHENOMENAL.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Ridgeback
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ridgeback » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks. I wish I could take credit for it but it was someone else's vision of cosmetics and play-ability. Just happened to be exactly what I would have wanted to do with a KO Marr. Total accident running into a picture of it in a TGP Marr Jag thread (the one with the dog) and finding it available. Destiny.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:48 am

Ridgeback wrote:Thanks. I wish I could take credit for it but it was someone else's vision of cosmetics and play-ability. Just happened to be exactly what I would have wanted to do with a KO Marr. Total accident running into a picture of it in a TGP Marr Jag thread (the one with the dog) and finding it available. Destiny.
Destiny, indeed. Send me a PM if/when you ever want to move it along "if it doesn't grow on you" as you said ;).
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JazzmasterJonny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzmasterJonny » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:10 am

[quote=

Image[/quote]

Stunning...just so stunning!

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:05 am

thegumbootman wrote:Has anyone here tried different pickups in their Marr Jag? I'm not really digging the super low output pickups that much.
I got my Marr yesterday and that is what I'm thinking already. The finish and build is awesome. I love the neck shape. The bridge and trem are great. The electronics are not so hot, though. My rig is set up for using either a Gibson SG P90 or a Warmoth Jazzmaster with Rose Picasso humbuckers. Either guitar works fine with the combo of amps and pedals in line. However, throw the J-marr Jag in the mix and the distortion and fuzz settings are completely useless. It will require a complete overhaul of the pedal settings. It sounds particularly awful with my vintage Jax Wah-Fuzz. Recording with the J-Marr with Garageband sounds great, though.

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:31 am

OV7 wrote:
thegumbootman wrote:Has anyone here tried different pickups in their Marr Jag? I'm not really digging the super low output pickups that much.
I got my Marr yesterday and that is what I'm thinking already. The finish and build is awesome. I love the neck shape. The bridge and trem are great. The electronics are not so hot, though. My rig is set up for using either a Gibson SG P90 or a Warmoth Jazzmaster with Rose Picasso humbuckers. Either guitar works fine with the combo of amps and pedals in line. However, throw the J-marr Jag in the mix and the distortion and fuzz settings are completely useless. It will require a complete overhaul of the pedal settings. It sounds particularly awful with my vintage Jax Wah-Fuzz. Recording with the J-Marr with Garageband sounds great, though.
I mean yeah it's a totally different animal from the SG and Jazzmaster + humbuckers- It should be expected that with such a radically different guitar, you would need to change pedal/amp settings in order to properly account for the factors that make a jag a jag (i.e. single coil pups, short scale etc). Have you tried it with the selector switch completely forward (both pickups in series) this creates a quasi humbucker if you will. Does that setting sound slightly better than the others? If so, I'd say you just need to tinker when using the jag in order to get the right settings. Just my 2 cents as I think the guitar sounds lovely, just took a hot second to figure what does and doesn't work with it.

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:08 am

Kwyjibo wrote:
OV7 wrote:
I mean yeah it's a totally different animal from the SG and Jazzmaster + humbuckers- It should be expected that with such a radically different guitar, you would need to change pedal/amp settings in order to properly account for the factors that make a jag a jag (i.e. single coil pups, short scale etc). Have you tried it with the selector switch completely forward (both pickups in series) this creates a quasi humbucker if you will. Does that setting sound slightly better than the others? If so, I'd say you just need to tinker when using the jag in order to get the right settings. Just my 2 cents as I think the guitar sounds lovely, just took a hot second to figure what does and doesn't work with it.
I got it all figured out now. I had to dial in less treble, more mids, and just a teeny bit more bass on about everything. I have one of those Fat Sandwich pedals for distortion that has quite a few adjustment knobs. I'm loving the treble clarity even on max settings with the distortion pedals that would normally be about midway with a humbuckery guitar. Totally stoked now! Thanks for the tips!

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:11 am

I got it all figured out now. I had to dial in less treble, more mids, and just a teeny bit more bass on about everything. I have one of those Fat Sandwich pedals for distortion that has quite a few adjustment knobs. I'm loving the treble clarity even on max settings with the distortion pedals that would normally be about midway with a humbuckery guitar. Totally stoked now! Thanks for the tips![/quote]

Cool, man! I was going to say the same thing. I love the way the jag cuts through the mix, stays snappy but also can get surprisingly heavy. That's been my experience at least & I'm glad you figured it out. Absolutely love the sound of the jag through some fat fuzz. Also, I highly recommend heavy gauge strings on your guitar (11's or up) makes a world of a difference in tone, stability etc. On another note, I think it's hilarious what kind of music is played on guitars designed for jazz players and surf music.

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Have yet to play any jazz on mine haha. However I will play some stupid rock and roll! Or zone out into Dreamland.

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:27 am

Kwyjibo wrote:I got it all figured out now. I had to dial in less treble, more mids, and just a teeny bit more bass on about everything. I have one of those Fat Sandwich pedals for distortion that has quite a few adjustment knobs. I'm loving the treble clarity even on max settings with the distortion pedals that would normally be about midway with a humbuckery guitar. Totally stoked now! Thanks for the tips!

Cool, man! I was going to say the same thing. I love the way the jag cuts through the mix, stays snappy but also can get surprisingly heavy. That's been my experience at least & I'm glad you figured it out. Absolutely love the sound of the jag through some fat fuzz. Also, I highly recommend heavy gauge strings on your guitar (11's or up) makes a world of a difference in tone, stability etc. On another note, I think it's hilarious what kind of music is played on guitars designed for jazz players and surf music.[/quote]

I'm absolutely loving this guitar for recording. The clarity of the pickups is outstanding. It really blends well in the mix with lots of other tracks as I pile them together.

neutronrobot
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by neutronrobot » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:05 am

arkivel wrote:Does anyone have a scan of the owner's manual or know where I can find one? I just picked up a really clean Marr Jag but for some reason it's missing the manual.
I bought my JM jag used and the only thing missing was the manual.

I just e-mailed Fender Customer Service and told them I was missing mine and asked if they still had any.
They mailed me one about a week later.

This was about a year ago, but maybe they still have some of those lying around?
It wouldn't hurt to check.

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BearBoy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:31 am

You can find the service manual here: http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Origi ... B_SISD.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if that's what you meant though.

arkivel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by arkivel » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks, I was looking for the owners manual booklet though, not the service manual. If anyone has one they want to scan that would be nice.