What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Post Reply
User avatar
countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2999
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Tacoma

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by countertext » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:05 am

The top one is a Ron Thorn California Special, which has been discussed in previous threads. The bottom ones are Carlos Lopez Brawlers. The baritone versions have been described in previous threads.

If you use instagram, there’s more at @thornguitars and @calopez_fender.

User avatar
vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by vistavision » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:33 pm

countertext wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:05 am
The top one is a Ron Thorn California Special, which has been discussed in previous threads. The bottom ones are Carlos Lopez Brawlers. The baritone versions have been described in previous threads.

If you use instagram, there’s more at @thornguitars and @calopez_fender.
I was being a smarty-pants. I posted the Lopez Marauder II build a while ago, once in the Brawler baritone thread.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

User avatar
countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2999
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Tacoma

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by countertext » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:21 pm

vistavision wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:33 pm
countertext wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:05 am
The top one is a Ron Thorn California Special, which has been discussed in previous threads. The bottom ones are Carlos Lopez Brawlers. The baritone versions have been described in previous threads.

If you use instagram, there’s more at @thornguitars and @calopez_fender.
I was being a smarty-pants. I posted the Lopez Marauder II build a while ago, once in the Brawler baritone thread.
👍🏼

User avatar
vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by vistavision » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:17 pm

countertext wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:21 pm
vistavision wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:33 pm
countertext wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:05 am
The top one is a Ron Thorn California Special, which has been discussed in previous threads. The bottom ones are Carlos Lopez Brawlers. The baritone versions have been described in previous threads.

If you use instagram, there’s more at @thornguitars and @calopez_fender.
I was being a smarty-pants. I posted the Lopez Marauder II build a while ago, once in the Brawler baritone thread.
👍🏼
Sometimes I should just hit "cancel" instead of "submit"! :derp:
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

User avatar
CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:52 am
Location: Thornbury Melbourne

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by CROSS_guitars » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:41 pm

vistavision wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:49 am
I've noticed nobody's torn apart these three one-off Custom Shop offsets and I'm kinda disappointed by that. We need to be on the ball here this weekend so everybody up your game.
Thanks!
Image
Would like to have seen this new tremolo and bridge design on the new Maverick Dorados instead of the bigsby.

User avatar
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4488
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 am

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by mbene085 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:56 pm

The top right is the Ron Thorn California Special. He built them before joining the CS and it's now been appropriated by Fender.

Image

The other two look like different configurations of the Brawler discussed a little while ago.

Image

Edit: oh geez, someone literally said all this above already :fp:

User avatar
vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by vistavision » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:32 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:56 pm
Edit: oh geez, someone literally said all this above already
That's okay. My original snarky, witchy post that read "I've noticed nobody's torn apart these three" got interpreted as sincere so I feel like I wasted everybody's time. On the last page a CS one-off and a Parallel Universe model got beat up like they were regular production models. I got cranky. :fp:
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

User avatar
caliban
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:05 am

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by caliban » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:42 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:56 pm
The top right is the Ron Thorn California Special. He built them before joining the CS and it's now been appropriated by Fender.

Image

The other two look like different configurations of the Brawler discussed a little while ago.

Image

Edit: oh geez, someone literally said all this above already :fp:
I didn't see these pictures before. Guess they were posted in the thread that vistavision is talking about. Is that like a mustang vibrato unit on the first one?

User avatar
empyrean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:34 am
Location: Tow-Ron-Toe
Contact:

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by empyrean » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Futuron wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:06 am
Uke-an't be serious?
Image

Damn that looks familiar...

Image

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... eachmaster

I should have made more of them years ago! :D

User avatar
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2069
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Kentucky, USA

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:13 pm

empyrean wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:04 pm
Futuron wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:06 am
Uke-an't be serious?
Image

Damn that looks familiar...

Image

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... eachmaster

I should have made more of them years ago! :D

That’s your design they copped!

User avatar
zeero9
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:41 am

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by zeero9 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:09 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:13 pm
empyrean wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:04 pm
Futuron wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:06 am
Uke-an't be serious?
Image

Damn that looks familiar...

Image

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... eachmaster

I should have made more of them years ago! :D

That’s your design they copped!
No, he copped Fender’s Jazzmaster design. How else is a Jazzmaster uke supposed to look? In fact, they are quite different adaptations of the JM body and pickguard. Fender’s has sharp edges and binding.

User avatar
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2069
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Kentucky, USA

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:37 pm

zeero9 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:09 am
Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:13 pm
empyrean wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:04 pm


Damn that looks familiar...

Image

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... eachmaster

I should have made more of them years ago! :D

That’s your design they copped!
No, he copped Fender’s Jazzmaster design. How else is a Jazzmaster uke supposed to look? In fact, they are quite different adaptations of the JM body and pickguard. Fender’s has sharp edges and binding.
I was being light hearted. I guess my point is that our forum members have been doing much cooler mods and designs for decades while Fender has been asleep.

User avatar
smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:52 am

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by smalahove » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:45 am

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:41 pm
vistavision wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:49 am
I've noticed nobody's torn apart these three one-off Custom Shop offsets and I'm kinda disappointed by that. We need to be on the ball here this weekend so everybody up your game.
Thanks!
Image
Would like to have seen this new tremolo and bridge design on the new Maverick Dorados instead of the bigsby.
My thoughts exactly. Given the hefty pricetag (2499 msrp), they could prob swing it, if they wanted to.

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: What’s Coming Down the Pike at NAMM?

Post by SadFuzz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:34 am

The new player series lead ii and lead iii reissues look really cool.
If everything is possible, why do anything? -J Mascis

Post Reply