Who's your favorite Offset player?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Pete Best
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Who's your favorite Offset player?

Post by Pete Best » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:27 pm

DotDash wrote:Can't find any pics of him playing an offset right now but, EDWYN COLLINS always!!! He had a pair of Jazzmasters in Orange Juice, plus a Fender XII, and later on had Musicmaster and Duo-Sonic. There's some great clips of him in the "Dada With Juice" video tearing into his blue Jazzmaster, "Bridge" especially.

Love the way he used to play, his attitude was so right. Great taste in guitars too. Might have to have an OJ night now...

Didn't know that Edwyn Collins was an offset player, but I agree with all you said about him above.

Otherwise, Johnny Marr was always one of my favourite guitarists/songwriters and then he created that wonderful swiss-army knife of a guitar.

Finally, Nils Lofgren doesn't get much respect (hard to, when you're buried in the E-Street Wall of Sound) but he does do some very tasty things with a JM that he views as being a good tool for cutting through the mix.
"If you've got a black list, I want to be on it."

www.stencilh.com We call our noise "Indie Road Music."

Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squareball » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:57 am

DotDash wrote:Can't find any pics of him playing an offset right now but, EDWYN COLLINS always!!! He had a pair of Jazzmasters in Orange Juice, plus a Fender XII, and later on had Musicmaster and Duo-Sonic. There's some great clips of him in the "Dada With Juice" video tearing into his blue Jazzmaster, "Bridge" especially.

Love the way he used to play, his attitude was so right. Great taste in guitars too. Might have to have an OJ night now...
+1 for Edwyn and agree with what you say about his style.
He has a great vintage guitar collection and his most famous is a 60's Burns Nu-sonic (he even named his first band the nu sonics)
When i saw the video of Bridge though, i wanted that LPB Jazzmaster so bad!...i'd never seen a matching headstock before!
http://youtu.be/_q3TiwBBDmc

Without hijacking the thread here is an interview with him at his studio which gives Jack White a run for his (vintage equipment) money!...theres a pic of some of his guitars and in the corner is the Fender XII...
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan11/a ... ollins.htm
May the Fuzz be with you

DotDash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DotDash » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:26 am

Last edited by DotDash on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

benji
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benji » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:32 am

The guy who got me interested in offsets was Robert Smith....

The guy who kept me interested was Kevin Shields.

peanutbutter&pickles
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by peanutbutter&pickles » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:22 am

Scout Niblett.......suhwoooon

First time posting, long time lurker......hi mom! (no not my mom)

Wait do 'Stangs count as offsets?
I am the own man I am. I own the man I am. I am, man, my own man, I am. Man, I am. I am the own man, I am.

dougk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dougk » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:37 am

zakmaster wrote:
dougk wrote:Image

Ofcourse I'm biased.

Sadly Mike's no longer with us

I apologize for these questions, but I am sincere and really do want to know.

Why are you biased?

Who is in the photo? I am not aware of him and would like to check out his music.

Is your connection with him the guitar? That thing is beautiful. Thanks.
Michael Burks. He was a blues guitar player that was just a monster player and an even bigger human being. Just the absolute nicest guy on the planet (his entire band too) who started playing my guitars very early in my career. The Show of Strength album is almost entirely the guitar on the cover.

(rehosted)

cyclopean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cyclopean » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:38 am

rowland s. howard

he's why i bought my jaguar

ChelseaFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChelseaFC » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:47 am

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uplo ... irvana.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guy, because in 1991, his band was the most exciting thing I had ever seen!

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SadFuzz » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:17 am

I saw the video for 10:15 Saturday Night when I was 11. I saw the BBC4 doc about guitar with Kevin Shields. I found Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr. Last year I found RSH/The Birthday Party.

From seeing all this cool music so young, it's been ingrained in my head that offsets are superior to any other guitar.

If I picked one player though, it would have to be Kevin Shields. I had only been playing for 3 years or so when I saw that on TV and it blew my mind. I'm a lot better at guitar now and still love mbv. The melodies are so beautiful and effortless, it transcends music and becomes emotion.
icerinkband.bandcamp.com

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:18 am

Dead heat, after re-listening to Marquee Moon, Tom Verlaine and Nels Cline.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:07 pm

Joff Oddie

Courtney Barnett

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SadFuzz » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Joff and Courtney are both amazing. I've been playing the he'll out of Charity from Tell Me How You Really Feel.
icerinkband.bandcamp.com

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm

My offset interest was generated in the late 1970's with Verlaine, Robert Smith and Rowland Howard. Never got to see Verlaine live (I guess there's still hope there), but saw Smith (early Cure) and Howard (Birthday Party) live then. Kind of lost interest in new music from the early 1980's and beyond, so I largely missed a lot of interesting offset players that I'm finally starting to get into, as result of sites like OSG ... Moore and Renaldo, Cobain, Shields, Cline, Mascis. Can't say I really like any of them, in terms of favourite 'go to' music (that's still Television, early Cure, Joy Division, Banshees, Magazine). But as Rowland was in the Birthday Party .... interesting from the point of view of just how far you can push a guitar. ;)
Last edited by timtam on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Tom Verlaine no question, but it was Adam Franklin who inspired my first JM purchase.

jesterpunk68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jesterpunk68 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:30 pm

It is going to have to be the musicians who got me interested in playing guitar in the first place and interested in offsets specifically.

Kurt Cobain got me interested in playing guitar in the first place in the early 90s when Smells Like Teen Spirit first came out

Then Lee and Thurston from Sonic Youth got me interested in what you could do with offsets.

And of course one of my all time favorite offset players Nels Cline