NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Post Reply
User avatar
Ducky73
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:41 pm

NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Post by Ducky73 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Hello everyone.
My first post and my first new Guitar in 25 years!! Haven’t played in many years and I am excited to get back to it. Now just need to pick up a little 5 watt combo and I’m set!

Image
Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Danecho283
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Post by Danecho283 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Bound and white headstock, great!

User avatar
Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:11 am
Location: Uk

Re: NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Post by Francer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:08 am

Congratulations, they are great guitars, I just picked up a used AV65 Oly white JM myself - love it.

Is that brand new with the film still on the guard?

User avatar
Ducky73
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:41 pm

Re: NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Post by Ducky73 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:11 am

Yes. The film is still on the guard. It was a floor model, got a great deal on it.

User avatar
daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:48 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Post by daysleeperjeff » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:18 am

Ducky73 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:11 am
Yes. The film is still on the guard. It was a floor model, got a great deal on it.
She’s a real looker my friend...Congrats!

User avatar
Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:11 am
Location: Uk

Re: NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Post by Francer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 am

Ducky73 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:11 am
Yes. The film is still on the guard. It was a floor model, got a great deal on it.
Cool, one small word of warning just in case you weren’t aware, if you want to keep it pristine, treat it gently. The thinskin nitro finish on these is pretty delicate and dings up really easily, especially beware belt buckles and the pocket rivets on the your jeans.

Enjoy!

User avatar
Snorre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:22 pm
Location: Walkersville, MD

Re: NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Post by Snorre » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 am

Congrats and welcome to OSG! She's a beauty! 8)

User avatar
timiscott
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:38 am
Location: London

Re: NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Post by timiscott » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:01 am

Hi... and congratulations! Opening that case up is a beautiful thing to behold! I had one of them delivered about ten days ago... after years of lust and GAK selling them for £1499! However, much as I love it, I'm taking a long while to get my head round the neck and how to get the best sound out of it. Was wondering if anyone can advise.

I've got a Squier JM JM with AV65 pups and a CP Jaguar and I'm finding the neck a learning curve as it just feels a bit wrong - not so much the neck shape as the fretboard/string feel. The CP Jag came with 9s and felt odd but that all changed magically when I put 10s on it, so I was wondering if putting 11s on the JM might sort it out - feels rickety! If I do this, will it need a set up? The Jag was ok without one.

Soundwise, it's better than the JM JM, even though they have the same pups - much clearer and richer. However, while great on chords, it can sound a bit brittle on leads, even with both pups being used. Any advice or is it just a matter of taking the time to learn my way round its character?

User avatar
Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:11 am
Location: Uk

Re: NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Post by Francer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:03 am

timiscott wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:01 am
Hi... and congratulations! Opening that case up is a beautiful thing to behold! I had one of them delivered about ten days ago... after years of lust and GAK selling them for £1499! However, much as I love it, I'm taking a long while to get my head round the neck and how to get the best sound out of it. Was wondering if anyone can advise.

I've got a Squier JM JM with AV65 pups and a CP Jaguar and I'm finding the neck a learning curve as it just feels a bit wrong - not so much the neck shape as the fretboard/string feel. The CP Jag came with 9s and felt odd but that all changed magically when I put 10s on it, so I was wondering if putting 11s on the JM might sort it out - feels rickety! If I do this, will it need a set up? The Jag was ok without one.

Soundwise, it's better than the JM JM, even though they have the same pups - much clearer and richer. However, while great on chords, it can sound a bit brittle on leads, even with both pups being used. Any advice or is it just a matter of taking the time to learn my way round its character?
If you move up to 11s you will probably need to make some minor adjustments, maybe tweak the truss rod a little bit to balance the increased string tension.

If you like the 10s on your JMJM maybe try the same brand on your AV65 before going up in size, stock ones are Fender nickel plated steel, I think, they just might not be your favourite strings.

User avatar
timiscott
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:38 am
Location: London

Re: NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Post by timiscott » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 am

Brilliant - thank you!

User avatar
minimumnishe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:00 am

Re: NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Post by minimumnishe » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 am

Francer wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:03 am
timiscott wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:01 am
Hi... and congratulations! Opening that case up is a beautiful thing to behold! I had one of them delivered about ten days ago... after years of lust and GAK selling them for £1499! However, much as I love it, I'm taking a long while to get my head round the neck and how to get the best sound out of it. Was wondering if anyone can advise.

I've got a Squier JM JM with AV65 pups and a CP Jaguar and I'm finding the neck a learning curve as it just feels a bit wrong - not so much the neck shape as the fretboard/string feel. The CP Jag came with 9s and felt odd but that all changed magically when I put 10s on it, so I was wondering if putting 11s on the JM might sort it out - feels rickety! If I do this, will it need a set up? The Jag was ok without one.

Soundwise, it's better than the JM JM, even though they have the same pups - much clearer and richer. However, while great on chords, it can sound a bit brittle on leads, even with both pups being used. Any advice or is it just a matter of taking the time to learn my way round its character?
If you move up to 11s you will probably need to make some minor adjustments, maybe tweak the truss rod a little bit to balance the increased string tension.

If you like the 10s on your JMJM maybe try the same brand on your AV65 before going up in size, stock ones are Fender nickel plated steel, I think, they just might not be your favourite strings.
11's are definitely needed jazzmasters at a minimum. When I got mine the stock 10s felt really good surprisingly, coming from 11's on a squire. but the moment I put 11's on and did a quarter turn of the truss rod the guitar really got some balls. In fact, for the longest time I was using pure nickel strings on my AV65 because I thought it would help tame the icepicky-ness that I get with the pickups and an AC15. I recently switched back from DR pure blues 11's to d'addario nickel wound balanced 11's and the guitar just opened up! I was completely taken back when I put these strings on, they just work magic on jazzmasters or any guitar with a trem. The combination of heavier b and g strings with a lighter a string make every string feel useable in the same way. Interestingly, I tried the same set on my les paul that i use 11's on as well and they kind of felt off, compared to the jazzy.

User avatar
bacca51
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: NGD - 2017 American Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster

Post by bacca51 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:54 am

Beautiful guitar and a great deal! I agree, a JM isn't really right without at least 11s. Every JM i've played at Guitar Center with 9s just falls so flat in comparison to my CIJ with 11s.

Post Reply