Probably the coolest thing I've seen in a while

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Probably the coolest thing I've seen in a while

Post by shadowplay » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:33 pm
After nearly 50 years of toxic misogyny in music marketing and homophobia in the language of rock, I'm fucking sick of it.
Yeah, I thought shit like this would be long gone by now, not just the macho posturing but the rockism which has toddled from disco sucks to shoegaze sucks but with similar subtext. It's long been the root of everything I dislike about the culture round guitars and the polar opposite of what I like in music but for many folk that's the whole attraction. I guess it's 'humour' but making that funny and not boorish is an art beyond most folk, myself included.

Even before this I had them as a macho brand anyway, I remember the main guy posting videos in here and it all seeming a bit guns and ammo for my Euro commiedisco tastes and I'd guess they be right back at ya.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:40 pm

I honestly thought that toxic machismo in musical instrument marketing would have been as dead as Benny Hill by now.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 pm

Let's just leave it at this:
To those of you who like our guitars, thank you! spread the word.
To those of you who don't. Sorry? Spread the word!

I won't apologize, because, frankly, other than ruffling a few indie and shoe gaze feathers, I don't really find anything wrong with the text, or the website, or the guitars. You may disagree. cool. Agree to disagree. Don't buy one. I don't really care. If you don't like what we do, I don't want you as a customer. You can't please everyone. Because some of you don't get it, and I can't explain it. You like what we do, or you don't. I'll sell guitars to those who do.

And if you don't like what we do, shut the fuck up about it. I probably don't like what you do, but you don't hear me making a big deal about it.

I like our guitars. Other people like our guitars. If you don't, that's on you.

So continue to post here about how much you hate Texas Toast, and you hate Sonichris, and you hate Matt. post about how you hate guns, and alt-right, and nazi's, and paisley and the first 4 Van Halen albums, and how every time you hear Motley Crue you secretly want to cut yourself because you feel bad about being a male. But you like the songs sooooo much.

Or. Enjoy guitars.

blackbox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blackbox » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Maggieo wrote:
I quite like the carnation blue guitar with the mini-hums, quite lovely...but...

I found the Paisley guitar as tacky as the blurb, though considerably less misogynistic and homophobic. After nearly 50 years of toxic misogyny in music marketing and homophobia in the language of rock, I'm fucking sick of it.

As a woman and a former rocker/punk/freaky indie out there and now kind of Jazzy guitarist, not only would I never buy an instrument from a company that thought that copy was OK, I'l tell my friends, male & female to avoid it.

It's a goddamn shame. Such beautiful and well made guitars, being sold with the tone of a braying ass. :'(
All of this.

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:40 pm

blackbox wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 pm
Maggieo wrote:
I quite like the carnation blue guitar with the mini-hums, quite lovely...but...

I found the Paisley guitar as tacky as the blurb, though considerably less misogynistic and homophobic. After nearly 50 years of toxic misogyny in music marketing and homophobia in the language of rock, I'm fucking sick of it.

As a woman and a former rocker/punk/freaky indie out there and now kind of Jazzy guitarist, not only would I never buy an instrument from a company that thought that copy was OK, I'l tell my friends, male & female to avoid it.

It's a goddamn shame. Such beautiful and well made guitars, being sold with the tone of a braying ass. :'(
All of this.
So continue to post here about how much you hate Texas Toast, and you hate Sonichris, and you hate Matt. post about how you hate guns, and alt-right, and nazi's, and paisley and the first 4 Van Halen albums, and how every time you hear Motley Crue you secretly want to cut yourself because you feel bad about being a male. But you like the songs sooooo much.

Or. Enjoy guitars.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:54 pm

I've never been to art school, but I'll go if you're paying.

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:54 pm
I've never been to art school, but I'll go if you're paying.
me neither. Is "going back to art school" a put down? It actually sounds kinda fun to me. I'm no artist, but i had fun in art class when i was a kid. Remember pottery? Sooo fun!

I get to paint all these wacky guitars. thats kind of like art school, right?

sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sears » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:15 am

if you want a safe space there's always TGP!
maskedsuperstar.bandcamp.com

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 am

Sonichris wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 pm
And if you don't like what we do, shut the fuck up about it. I probably don't like what you do, but you don't hear me making a big deal about it.
If you don't want to hear about it, don't advertise your shit here. Straightforward enough?

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 am

Grey wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 am
Sonichris wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 pm
If you don't want to hear about it, don't advertise your shit here. Straightforward enough?
To be fair to him, he was already a member before this post and it was someone else who posted it.

That said, aggressively responding to criticism does make a big deal about it, instead of just letting it die down or something.

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 am

601210 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 am
That said, aggressively responding to criticism does make a big deal about it, instead of just letting it die down or something.
And it did die down. He bumped this thread and brought it back to the top, that's the only reason I even saw it.

:wacko:

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:23 am

Grey wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 am
601210 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 am
And it did die down. He bumped this thread and brought it back to the top, that's the only reason I even saw it.

:wacko:
I did bring it back to the top. And the dog pile really got going. Which I expected. And everyone can have their say. But to keep harping on it. And to be called out as a racist, and more. To demand a response. So I did respond. And you should have seen versions 1-4. Those were aggressive. :)

I’ve seen threads like this on OSG before. People get all worked up. Someone gets super angry and leaves, then it dies down, and everyone forgets about it. I watched a certain member have an absolute meltdown over ad copy not too long ago. Quit the forum, only to return a month later. And start all over again.

I see it as a triumph that I got the misc. section lurkers out of that area and into an actual guitar discussion. I’ve seen responses on this thread from members I only see in the political threads.

And lets be honest. Most members will never buy a guitar from us, no matter what we advertised. And for every person here who hates our stuff, or our website, there is another person who thinks all this hate is ridiculous and hilarious, and thinks our stuff, and our attitude is pretty cool. Those are the people I want to sell guitars to. And it’s only two of us, working weekends making guitars. We can only make so many.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:32 am

I see it as a triumph that I got the misc. section lurkers out of that area and into an actual guitar discussion.
I think most of the discussion has been about the ad, and not the guitars, so I don't know if I'd consider it a triumph. Nobody is going to buy the guitar because of the ad copy, but some might buy the guitars in spite of the copy. Some people obviously will avoid associating with the company and/or product because of it. Why not just eliminate the thing that's drawing attention and potential sales away from otherwise decent instruments?

I'm not trying jump on the pile, but instead of getting defensive you should seriously just look at the responses and think about what you're selling.

blackbox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blackbox » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:49 pm

No one cares about how the guitars look. People care about the homophobic and misogynistic copy (and the homophobic and misogynstic commentary posted here in defense of the copy).

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:17 pm

blackbox wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:49 pm
No one cares about how the guitars look. People care about the homophobic and misogynistic copy (and the homophobic and misogynstic commentary posted here in defense of the copy).
Would you kindly point to the "homophobic and misogynstic commentary posted here in defense of the copy" for me?