CIJ Jaguar vs Classic 60s lacquer Jaguar.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Redrevelo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

CIJ Jaguar vs Classic 60s lacquer Jaguar.

Post by Redrevelo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Hey,

What would you guys say is a better guitar overall between a CIJ Jaguar and a Classic 60s lacquer Jaguar. I'm drawn more towards the Classic 60s because of the nitro, and AVRI pickups, but interested in your opinions.

Thanks...

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: CIJ Jaguar vs Classic 60s lacquer Jaguar.

Post by Embenny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:29 pm

Electronics are better in the lacquer. The rest just comes down to whether you prefer nitro in a single colour, or poly in a wider variety of colours. Nitro isn't automatically better...more vintage-correct, but less durable.

Pickups can be changed easily enough. I wouldn't base it on which one comes with better pickups (the lacquer). Decide whether you prefer the feel and look of nitro, or of poly. That's the big differentiator.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:06 am

Let's see the 60s Lacquer has

- Nitro
- US electronics through out
- US tremolo (for some reason missing the lock but still infinitely better than the MIJ ones which are the same as the squier ones, just look better)
- hard case

And the MIJ ones are the opposite in all that.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:23 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:Let's see the 60s Lacquer has

- Nitro
- US electronics through out
- US tremolo (for some reason missing the lock but still infinitely better than the MIJ ones which are the same as the squier ones, just look better)
- hard case

And the MIJ ones are the opposite in all that.
+ plus Lacquer 60's has Fender USA AV65 Pickups, Hard Case & you can negotiate 15-20% off, maybe more! & no Tax & free Shipping. Plus 45 day Return Policy most Places. Then there's the Factory Warranty just in case....

The Lacquer 60 is about as close as you can get to a USA Fender AV65 for less than half the cost.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:31 am

I'd take the lacquer (and did!) over the CIJ unless you hate fiesta red. CIJ come in a lot more colors but that shouldn't be a deciding factor imo. You could always refinish.
A hard case, American electronics and pickups plus a lacquer finish, seems like a deal to me.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:02 am

try the 2 before buying
i haved a cij in car with matching i have change the pups to pickups wizard (the japan one are not my cup of tea) cool ,well made but the neck was one the bigs side ,and it was a heavy guitar (alder body)
and now i have just buy a classic laquer (honey moon maybe ?) but not heavy and the neck is more thin moreover you have nothing to change to play it and have the sound i am looking for (maybe only the bridge and the string gauge )+ a case is inclued ,jazzmaster friendly
the cij is delivered with a bag and you need a new pair off pups (not if you like the one in) but also the guys are breaking their mind cause the price in used become ridiculous (in europe the less are already at 700 € for an used guitar ) for this price you can have a classic lacquer if you find it one used and no needed to upgrade immediately
the japan are nice ,lot of color avaible and sound good ,you need to search a light one if you didn't like the heavy one ,poly is indestructible
the classic lacquer are only in fiesta (car if you choose the road worn ) but nitro is really fragile if you want to gig with in fews month it will look relics (a friend have an av 65 jazzmaster olympic and now it let it at home cause she beguin to be too much used for a guitar who have only 2 years )

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:05 pm

Yeah that's kind of what I meant - aside from only coming in one color - the 60s lacquer series are just objectively better guitars.

Redrevelo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Redrevelo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Thanks everyone. :) Sounds like the 60s Jag is a better option. There is one near me that the store is willing to give a significant discount on, so I might pick it up if I like it.

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:31 am

Nitro doesn't mean a better electric guitar to me.....just more expensive and less durable. In fact, I wish that the Classic Series Jag and JM would be offered in a poly finish....for $100 less....just like their Tele and Strat counterparts. I have several AVRI Fenders with nitro and Am, Series/Standards with poly. and see no difference tonally due to finish.. My Proline Gretsches are all poly finish and I love them. The point to all this: nitro is not better IMO and the hype that it is.....well, is just hype, unless you are into the relic thing (i'm not).

As far as which is the better buy, I would agree that the Classic Series Jag is better for all thereasons previously stated ( except type of finish :P ).

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:13 am

jdr1014 wrote:Nitro doesn't mean a better electric guitar to me.....just more expensive and less durable. In fact, I wish that the Classic Series Jag and JM would be offered in a poly finish....for $100 less....just like their Tele and Strat counterparts. I have several AVRI Fenders with nitro and Am, Series/Standards with poly. and see no difference tonally due to finish.. My Proline Gretsches are all poly finish and I love them. The point to all this: nitro is not better IMO and the hype that it is.....well, is just hype, unless you are into the relic thing (i'm not).

As far as which is the better buy, I would agree that the Classic Series Jag is better for all thereasons previously stated ( except type of finish ).
Oh yeah I don't buy into the "Nitro tone" thing either. If that's what you're after it's tough luck with the Classic Lacquer anyway, it has a thick poly basecoat. I just like how nitro ages. Looks cooler imo.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

Redrevelo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Redrevelo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:05 pm

Steadyriot. wrote:
jdr1014 wrote:Nitro doesn't mean a better electric guitar to me.....just more expensive and less durable. In fact, I wish that the Classic Series Jag and JM would be offered in a poly finish....for $100 less....just like their Tele and Strat counterparts. I have several AVRI Fenders with nitro and Am, Series/Standards with poly. and see no difference tonally due to finish.. My Proline Gretsches are all poly finish and I love them. The point to all this: nitro is not better IMO and the hype that it is.....well, is just hype, unless you are into the relic thing (i'm not).

As far as which is the better buy, I would agree that the Classic Series Jag is better for all thereasons previously stated ( except type of finish ).
Oh yeah I don't buy into the "Nitro tone" thing either. If that's what you're after it's tough luck with the Classic Lacquer anyway, it has a thick poly basecoat. I just like how nitro ages. Looks cooler imo.
Thats the main reason I like the nitro, because of the way it ages.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:51 pm

Yes - Lacquer 60's because it is as close to an AV65 as you can buy, comes with Hard Case & is less than half as expensive. The finish isn't an issue. It's gonna get dinged & scratched if you play it anyway.

Next choice would be a Road Worn. Great Guitar! But no Hard Case.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:28 pm

I don't think anybody prefers nitro because of some wack alleged final qualities - they prefer it specifically because it's "less durable" and thus, to most of us, ages a lot prettier than yr typical Fender poly finish.

Add to that the fact that a bunch of unintentionally hilarious nerds are trying to con low-information enthusiasts out of a thousand plus dollars for a guitar that requires more to get it tour ready than most $300 Squiers, and it feels like kind of a no-brainer.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:16 pm

I like the MIJ/CIJ Jags I've owned better than the 60s Lacquer I tried. I like the necks better, and the body contours better. Better fretwork on them too. Lots of cool colors to choose from, and different neck styles (dots, D&B, B&B). I've always liked the CIJ and MIJ pickups, but those are easy to change if you want.

I'd change both the MIJ/CIJ and MIM tremolo to an AVRI. They both feel cheap and aren't as responsive as the MIA trem. And I'd change the bridge on the MIM because those are junk. But otherwise I'd be happy keeping either guitar stock.

OPTION 3: If you hunt around you can find a used AVRI 62 Jag for not much more than a new 60s lacquer jags these days, and they are the best option out there that is still reasonably affordable.

Try them out and decide for yourself! ;)

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:43 pm

If you can wait til Christmas time Fender might do those blowout prices on new AV65's again. Last year they blew new ones out for about $1300.00.