J Mascis JM vs Classic Player JM?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
BurtSampson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

J Mascis JM vs Classic Player JM?

Post by BurtSampson » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:28 pm

I'm looking to move on from my modded VM Jazzmaster. I bought it used and it came loaded with Antiquity I's, but I'm finding that while it sounds great clean, it doesn't dirty up too well and it's a little hard to push it without it getting super buzzy and thin.

I'm looking at either the CP or the JM, because they both have the hotter p90 style JM pickups, but I can't decide which one I should go with. I like the look of the CP more (the black on tort look is gorgeous), but at $400 more, I can't decide if that alone makes it worth it. My local Guitar Center is running a deal where the JM is only $350 right now, so that makes the choice even more difficult.

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: J Mascis JM vs Classic Player JM?

Post by julius2790 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:38 pm

I'm curious what kind of bridge you have on the VM, what kind of amp you are using, and what kind of music you are playing? I have the JMJM with antiquities and it's a beast when overdriven or with various fuzzes. I don't know that I would use my guitar for something like death metal, but it's great for a wide range of styles.

You might be able to tweak something with the guitar you have a get the sound you are going for? Otherwise I can vouch for the JMJM. It's my favorite guitar I've ever owned...but especially after I changed the bridge and the stock pickups.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Yeah, and I can vouch for the antiquities I and II; they are some of the best none vintage vintage pickups I've come across. I think they really nail the sound of their vintage counter parts.

I'd also be interested in your set up; maybe pickup height is to blame? Does the neck sound thin too or just the bridge? Are they wired out of phase?

And truth be told my Jag can definitely get shred metal in the bridge pickup. So they can do that too, albeit not ideal, but they can do it. And Antiquities are the pickups J. Mascis uses in all his JM's, if that means anything to ya.

Edit: I had a CP jazzy, and I have a CP jaguar. They were/are both nice guitars but neither one really sounds like how a vintage one does; a little more 'modern' sounding. The JMJM's that I've played sounded proper, and felt the part too. And at that price, you can't argue! I'd say swap the pickups (for Antiquities) and let it rock.

Personally I would go there, try them both in person, and see which one sounds and feels more to your liking. And then go from there. You can always change sound, to an extent; you can't make a neck feel or play more to your liking. That's my thought.
Jesus

crankheart
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crankheart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:11 pm

If the pickups are the only thing you don't like, I would also just suggest changing the pickups. The CP and JM jazzmasters are both pretty different to the VM.

I like Antiquiity I pickups. They're darker and more mellow than the Antiquity II's I ended up choosing over them for my CIJ Jazzmaster. I get that vintage voiced Jazzmaster pickups aren't for everybody, though... If what you'd really like is P-90s, there are some great pickups out there that would be an improvement over the stock JM and CP ones. I played a VM equipped with Lollar P-90's recently that was great - really crisp, bright and articulate through my old RAT into an Orange amp.

If you want a new guitar just get the JM, imo the only improvements on the CP model are nicer rosewood and a locking trem.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:29 pm

BurtSampson wrote:I'm looking to move on from my modded VM Jazzmaster. I bought it used and it came loaded with Antiquity I's, but I'm finding that while it sounds great clean, it doesn't dirty up too well and it's a little hard to push it without it getting super buzzy and thin.

I'm looking at either the CP or the JM, because they both have the hotter p90 style JM pickups, but I can't decide which one I should go with. I like the look of the CP more (the black on tort look is gorgeous), but at $400 more, I can't decide if that alone makes it worth it. My local Guitar Center is running a deal where the JM is only $350 right now, so that makes the choice even more difficult.
My local Guitar Centers have the J Mascis JM priced at $350 too, and that's a very decent deal for such a solid guitar though the recent ones have been a bit heavier than usual.

I played a stock Classic Player JM several times, and own a JM with J Mascis pickups in it. I really don't know if they are loaded with same pickups, but they sure are both hotter than vintage spec'd ones, and work really well in overdriven territory, not thin and harsh at all.

I don't know, I think in this forum Classic Player JM is underrated a bit more than it deserves. I mean yes, no vintage specs there, but my friend has a black one that is a joy to play. Light weight, resonant, super dark rosewood board, sounds great with stock pickups, especially through the clean channel of an older Mesa Boogie. And I have sen them go as low as $450 used.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:09 pm

A $350.00 JMJM makes a whole lot of sense IMO. I'm far more impressed with them than the CP's which I think are way overpriced for what they are. No offense.

Where are the $350.00 JMJM's?

Lars

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:43 pm

If the JMJM is $350, do it. I got mine for $400AUD a few years ago then stupidly sold it for about $500AUD. They're going for almost a grand here now in some cases. Would probably be worth it even if you didn't play it and just put it on a shelf (which I wouldn't recommend doing because it's such a great guitar and I really miss mine.)

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:23 am

Larsongs wrote:...

Lars
Guitar Center, in stores only.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:09 pm

PixMix wrote:

Lars
Just called my local Guitar Center. Their big Guitarathon Sale price is $449.00!!!! They don't know anything about it???

Is there a Code or something??? Where is your Store??

Thanks,

Lars

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Larsongs wrote:
PixMix wrote:

Lars
Just called my local Guitar Center. Their big Guitarathon Sale price is $449.00!!!! They don't know anything about it???

Is there a Code or something??? Where is your Store??

Thanks,

Lars
No code, they have flyers in stores with discounted models. I have seen JMJM priced at $350 in Canton MI store, and possibly Southfield MI (held the flyer on my hand, and can't remember exactly, but it seemed like identical to Canton one). The new Duo Sonics were also $350.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Mon May 01, 2017 5:52 am

i absolutely do not understand the CP hate. I have had my share of offsets. Never a american made, but i have had various mexican and japanese and squier Jazzmasters and jaguars. and the CPs are some of the nicest playing, least finicky guitars out there. It's true the pickups aren't the greatest, but they ARE good and versatile.

As for the question as to how the CP compares to the JMJM, they are very close. So if you're on a budget the mascis is the better bet, but i think the CP is a better model (albeit by a small margin).

there's an excellent comparison video of the two jazzy's on youtube. gives you a really good feel for both guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA0MJcSbAaI

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Mon May 01, 2017 6:08 am

SQJMJM = CPJM; quality wise, the only differences is the trem (better on the CP) and the neck profile (thinner in the CP; I prefer the Mascis).
But the CP is more expansive so I would definitely buy the Mascis.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Bad Monkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bad Monkey » Mon May 01, 2017 6:13 am

There's nothing wrong with the CP, but the shortened bridge-trem distance really changes how it feels as well as the sound. If you prefer the jangle and extra slink, the CP is going to be farther down the totem pole for you. Or if your auto-default is vintage=muchmorebetterer. I like the extra ring and prefer the feel of the vintage trem placement, especially with 12's. Plus if I open the case and anything but a fiesta red 62 ts JM comes out the rest of the band goes "WTFdude?"

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon May 01, 2017 6:59 am

The CP isn't a bad Guitar but it isn't twice the Guitar the JMJM is & doesn't warrant the twice as much price IMO.

The CP doesn't compare to the Lacquer 60's or Road Worn which are only a couple hundred dollars more. But both are twice the Guitar as the CP IMO.

I'm gonna call the Canton store & try to get one of those $350.00 JMJM's! Thanks for the heads up.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Mon May 01, 2017 9:31 am

Larsongs wrote:
The CP doesn't compare to the Lacquer 60's or Road Worn which are only a couple hundred dollars more. But both are twice the Guitar as the CP IMO.
no they're not. Look they're great instruments. my no.1 is a 60s laquer jag and it's a beast, but saying that it's twice the guitar the CP is ain't true at all. CPs are not traditional specs and that's really the only real difference. CPs are absolutely well constructed, well playing instruments. when i pick up my CPJM after playing my 60s lacquer jag i never feel let down. It's different, but it's all good.