Hardtail mustang middle position PU question.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
stirange
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Hardtail mustang middle position PU question.

Post by stirange » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi all,

I understand that the new hardtail mustangs are such that if the middle position is selected on the pickup selector, the pickups work (forgive the incorrect terminology) in an "out of phase" fashion as to get an almost a humbucker effect. I replaced the bridge pickup in my mustang with a jb jr humbucker. I'm curious what, if any , effect this has on afore-mentioned wiring convention. Thanks!

Digression-------
For those interested
I emailed fender to inquire as to the differences between the new duo-sonic single coil PU's and the mustang's PU's. They said that they are essentially the exact same ceramic PU's and that there is minimal a difference in the sound between the two offsets. Thanks!

indiandysummer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hardtail mustang middle position PU question.

Post by indiandysummer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:29 am

The stock pickups are wound to be hum-cancelling in the middle position (reverse wound with reverse polarity magnets). The phase still matches. Out of phase wiring gives a very thin, quacky sound.

Replacing the bridge pickup with a humbucker (two coils that hum-cancel with eachother) will eliminate the hum cancelling feature of the middle position.

stirange
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Hardtail mustang middle position PU question.

Post by stirange » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:51 am

great! thanks!