ISO definitive answer on VM Mustang Bridge Replacement

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ISO definitive answer on VM Mustang Bridge Replacement

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:46 pm

The definitive answer is 'don't replace it'.

The only thing a tune-o-matic is an improvement on is a guitar that has no bridge installed at all.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

chipbutty24
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chipbutty24 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:03 am

That's why it's important to know what you want to fix. It's hard to make a suggestion when we don't know what you want to be better. A TOM bridge is not an improvement.[/quote]

Not looking for advice on fixing. Was just wondering of anyone knew for sure about a drop in replacement.

Why is a TOM not an improvement?[/quote]

AOMs don't drop in, they require larger, threaded thimbles.

AOMs are not improvements because they 1) have a fixed knife edge saddle to grind against the string when the trem is used vs the longer, rounded floating contact point of the Mustang. 2) Have a mismatched radius to the fretboard (12" vs 9.5") 3) have a "V" notched saddle which pinches the string more than the deeper "U" type channel of the mustang even when the trem is not in use.

It literally has no advantage. Want a non-rocking bridge? Wrap a little electrical tape on the Mustang bridge posts - a fixed bridge will cause more friction and tuning issues with trem use but a fixed Mustang bridge will at least break fewer strings and cause fewer tuning issues from friction compared to the AOM, thanks to its better (less sharp) channel for the string.

A Staytrem is just a really nicely-engineered and well-machined Mustang bridge, and the Mastery is of less benefit to a Mustang than a JM/Jag IMHO, but those are the only "drop-in" replacements for Mustang bridges.

The reason everyone is suggesting keeping the original bridge is because there is literally no mechanical or functional benefit to an AOM over a Mustang bridge. The TOM design is actually one of the worst out there with its high-friction, pinching saddles (which have broken many a string over the decades). All the more so on offsets who don't even match its radius. Edit: The characteristic that inspired people ages ago to put TOMs on offsets was that they were fixed-post, which is nice when not using a trem but horrible for trem use. The old trick of wrapping electrical tape on the posts of the Mustang bridge to keep it from rocking achieves this, without all the other disadvantages of the TOM design.[/quote]

Awesome post, thanks.
Locking down the trem though so I'm not concerned about trem use.

I will try taping the posts. Thanks for the help.

chipbutty24
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chipbutty24 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:04 am

andy_tchp wrote:The definitive answer is 'don't replace it'.

The only thing a tune-o-matic is an improvement on is a guitar that has no bridge installed at all.
Good one! ;D Thanks for the insight.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:07 am

chipbutty24 wrote: Awesome post, thanks.

My pleasure! Lots of offset bridge-confusion out there, partly because of outdated attitudes from decades-past when there were no replacement options and no internet forums to explain how to properly set them up. I've been playing a guitar with a Mustang bridge and taped posts for 15 years (never use the trem on that particular Jag) and I haven't had to adjust the bridge once in all that time (same strings, same gauge - just the occasional tweak of the neck with changes in weather). It has been as problem-free as any guitar bridge could ever be.

Just do one layer at a time until it fits firmly in the thimble and doesn't rock, and you'll be set!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

chipbutty24
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chipbutty24 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:16 am

mbene085 wrote:
chipbutty24 wrote: Awesome post, thanks.

My pleasure! Lots of offset bridge-confusion out there, partly because of outdated attitudes from decades-past when there were no replacement options and no internet forums to explain how to properly set them up. I've been playing a guitar with a Mustang bridge and taped posts for 15 years (never use the trem on that particular Jag) and I haven't had to adjust the bridge once in all that time (same strings, same gauge - just the occasional tweak of the neck with changes in weather). It has been as problem-free as any guitar bridge could ever be.

Just do one layer at a time until it fits firmly in the thimble and doesn't rock, and you'll be set!
I have a feeling the grub screws on the VM bridge may be an issue (rattling, working themselves out etc.) Will address that when the time comes.