youtube code?

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
JMDen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: youtube code?

Post by JMDen » Sun May 18, 2008 4:52 am

I'm on some other sites that put in You Tube code enablers and overall it' not that bad. The threads that end up with alot of YT links are those that debate bands and the like.

I think they can be useful in a post as long as the postsres don't put one in each and every thread they are posting about.
-Dennis

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sun May 25, 2008 11:49 am

Having the embedded videos can slow down page loading horribly. I usually try to open them in a new tab or window anyway, so I can keep reading while it plays.

Would be nice if youtube worked out some kind of trackback system w/ BB Code where you could post a link and have it show up as the name of the video automatically.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:32 am

I don't see much difference between an embedded video and an image.  Heck, a really big photo takes longer to load than a YouTube player, which only downloads the video after you've clicked play.

I'd love to see embedded video here.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

noirengineer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noirengineer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:46 am

lol you guys are minimalists..  :-*

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:49 am

Works with me, that could be cool

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:27 pm

Perhaps a compromise where vids can be posted in the Misc Discussions folder, but not in the more serious ones?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:34 pm

No.  ;D

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:42 pm

;D
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:48 pm

Oh well.  :'(

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Seriously though...  I just don't see how it's better to have the video in the page as opposed to clicking the link and going to youtube.com.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:05 pm

Jay wrote: Seriously though...  I just don't see how it's better to have the video in the page as opposed to clicking the link and going to youtube.com.
I hate having my browser open new windows unbidden.  And it's easier to watch a bunch on a single page and not have to open multiple windows.  And then, if there's one I want to comment on here, I don't have to switch or close any windows.

It's more elegant.

(and really the clutter argument went out the door when you allowed embedded images- a vid takes up less space than the average photo posted here)

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:50 pm

Well, if enough users really want it, I'll add it in (provided I can find an easy way to do it) but all the mods/admins preferred to not have embedded video.  But I still don't like the idea.  :D

mikkiki
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mikkiki » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:39 am

i really have no problem with youtube links, except for when people doesn't tell you what it's about. i don't watch 90% of the youtube links because either is there no text following it, or there is "haha, funny [youtube link]" text. if people could be so kindly to add the name for the video or write what it is all about, i think the embedded video thing would be almost meaningless.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:03 pm

I think the main concern on the youtube thing would be load times. This forum is global and not everybody has fast internet.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:09 pm

JazzBlaster wrote: I think the main concern on the youtube thing would be load times. This forum is global and not everybody has fast internet.
Again, I will point out that the load time of an embedded YouTube player is no longer than a large JPG or PNG.  The main download comes after you hit the play button. 

Just a general FYI; we should be clear about the facts.