Little tricks for getting what you want from Fender amps

A sub forum for our most useful repair, maintenence & upgrade threads.
User avatar
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5346
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Little tricks for getting what you want from Fender amps

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:05 pm

johnnysomerset: You'll want something more durable than a new production 12AT7. Silverface Fenders give them an absolute hiding. Been there, done that :-)

My recommendation is to grab a couple of these JAN Phillips 12AT7s for $10 a pop (plus shipping) here: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=072-658

May or may not help with the hiss. There'll always be some hiss, just the nature of the beast, but it shouldn't be an issue at band volumes though.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graeme Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

User avatar
johnnysomersett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1650
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Location: South of London, England

Re: Little tricks for getting what you want from Fender amps

Post by johnnysomersett » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:23 am

andy_tchp wrote:johnnysomerset: You'll want something more durable than a new production 12AT7. Silverface Fenders give them an absolute hiding. Been there, done that :-)

My recommendation is to grab a couple of these JAN Phillips 12AT7s for $10 a pop (plus shipping) here: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=072-658

May or may not help with the hiss. There'll always be some hiss, just the nature of the beast, but it shouldn't be an issue at band volumes though.
Awesome, I can get one from Watford Valves for £10

The trem tube is dodgy too so I might change that...any reccomendations for that one... its a 12AX7 I think

User avatar
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5346
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Little tricks for getting what you want from Fender amps

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:04 am

johnnysomersett wrote:Awesome, I can get one from Watford Valves for £10
Good stuff!
The trem tube is dodgy too so I might change that...any reccomendations for that one... its a 12AX7 I think
The vibrato oscillator in V5? Any 12AX7 that lights up and works - There is no tonal impact from this one. What's up with the one already in that slot?

Cheers.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graeme Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

User avatar
johnnysomersett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1650
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Location: South of London, England

Re: Little tricks for getting what you want from Fender amps

Post by johnnysomersett » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:39 am

andy_tchp wrote:
johnnysomersett wrote:Awesome, I can get one from Watford Valves for £10
Good stuff!
The trem tube is dodgy too so I might change that...any reccomendations for that one... its a 12AX7 I think
The vibrato oscillator in V5? Any 12AX7 that lights up and works - There is no tonal impact from this one. What's up with the one already in that slot?

Cheers.
It makes a popping noise in time with the vibrato...like a static pop.

User avatar
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 11912
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Little tricks for getting what you want from Fender amps

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:33 am

that's not the fault of the tube. It's a flaw inherent in the design. The neon bulb in the optocoupler sends interference back into the line every time it turns on.

In fact, replacing it with a stronger/newer 12AX7 might actually make the problem worse.

I've heard of guys making new optocouplers using an LED instead of the neon bulb, but I've never tried it myself.

User avatar
johnnysomersett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1650
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Location: South of London, England

Re: Little tricks for getting what you want from Fender amps

Post by johnnysomersett » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:00 am

øøøøøøø wrote:that's not the fault of the tube. It's a flaw inherent in the design. The neon bulb in the optocoupler sends interference back into the line every time it turns on.

In fact, replacing it with a stronger/newer 12AX7 might actually make the problem worse.

I've heard of guys making new optocouplers using an LED instead of the neon bulb, but I've never tried it myself.
Really? Its quite loud!

I find it hard to believe it's 'supposed' to be like that >:( rubbish. Oh well, I have a colorsound tremolo for vintage throb... its a shame it's not fast enough for that 'swamp' sound.

User avatar
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 11912
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Little tricks for getting what you want from Fender amps

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:45 am

well it's impossible for me to make a definitive statement on your particular case without hearing it, but I can say that the problem I described is well-known and documented, and that the tube is NOT in the audio path at all-- so it would be near-impossible for it to introduce any noise. There are other cures, most of which involve moving "dirty" wires away from low-level signal wires. It can help quite a bit. There's also a capacitor-based solution. Google 'ticking vibrato' or 'ticking tremolo' and Fender amps, or somesuch.

User avatar
ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2017
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:28 pm
Location: france

Re: Little tricks for getting what you want from Fender amps

Post by ludobag1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:57 pm

is this works on deluxe ri ?

Get control over your dwell, mix, and tone for your reverb on a two-channel BF or SF amp, giving you outboard-reverb type control within your amp--without mods. It's simple. Get a cord that has an RCA male connector on one end, and a standard 1/4" male connector on the other end. Plug the RCA end into the output of your reverb tank, and bring the cable over the top of the amp and plug it into the "normal" channel. Now your "normal" channel functions as your reverb recovery! Your "reverb" knob is now your "dwell." Your normal channel "volume" is now your "mix." Finally, the tone controls on the normal channel (bass and treble, or bass, mid, and treble) are your 2- or 3-band "tone" control.

User avatar
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 11912
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Little tricks for getting what you want from Fender amps

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:30 pm

ludobag1 wrote:is this works on deluxe ri ?

Get control over your dwell, mix, and tone for your reverb on a two-channel BF or SF amp, giving you outboard-reverb type control within your amp--without mods. It's simple. Get a cord that has an RCA male connector on one end, and a standard 1/4" male connector on the other end. Plug the RCA end into the output of your reverb tank, and bring the cable over the top of the amp and plug it into the "normal" channel. Now your "normal" channel functions as your reverb recovery! Your "reverb" knob is now your "dwell." Your normal channel "volume" is now your "mix." Finally, the tone controls on the normal channel (bass and treble, or bass, mid, and treble) are your 2- or 3-band "tone" control.
Yes, that will (should?) work on the RI. I see no reason why not.

User avatar
ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2017
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:28 pm
Location: france

Re: Little tricks for getting what you want from Fender amps

Post by ludobag1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:32 am

thanks for your answer øøøøøøø :)
i will try soon ;) just need to pick a rca and a jack 1/4 adaptator
but now one thing bother me the reverb on the deluxe is too short ,no surf friendly in fact more over it make noise when reverb are full and vibrato is hight :squint: but at this time i have play it only at low volume setting cause i am in appartement but is sound really nice it is really warm have bass that i don't have with my champ 600 and be more clean than my vox ac4
i have better result with my frv1 :-[ for the reverb ,need to buy a tank or make one in fact ;) (it is my secret winter project ,first time with tube :wtf: i am scare)

Post Reply