The sad tale of an Ovation Magnum neck

Bringing your older offset back to life.
fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The sad tale of an Ovation Magnum neck

Post by fuzzking » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:47 am

^ YUp! But if I understand correctly, OP also wants to re-align/re-attach the partly loosened fretboard. Thought something like this might do the trick. :)
Nobody exists on purpose.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:37 am

True.
I was originally going to suggest he remove the board altogether, clamp the neck straight, and reattach it. I've corrected a couple old harmony necks this way.
7 of the 9 guitars I own have those permanent non-adjustable rods. I used to be afraid of them, but they're usually fine.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:32 am

I've always felt you're getting a double whammy with the fretboard glue softening then resetting, and that providing some reinforcement to the new straightness. Interesting to hear you've got it workingg with no board at all.

Do you use any moisture or just heat? I m doing a twisted mahogany neck and the moment and had to junk the fretboard for other reasons

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:45 am

I'm digging up this thread as a resolution looks to be coming into sight. I ended up sending the neck to the guy at warpedneck.com. When I removed the neck I noticed the fingerboard was cracking loose so I decided getting things straightened out was beyond my abilities. I've gotten to the point where I understand I'm fully capable of learning to do something if I have a chance to do it more than once. Fixing a neck isn't likely to be one of those things--I hope!--so I sent it out.

Aside from fingerboard issue, the repair guy says it looks like the neck had been taken apart before to fix a broken truss rod. He took extra time with the straightening process and is doing something with epoxy to the fingerboard to firmly reattach it. He's fully confident the truss rod still works and the neck will now be good, and is charging me $150. Seems like a good deal and it's sooooo much cheaper than what the local shops were pitching me in Brooklyn. I suppose the ultimate proof comes when the neck's back on and under tension for a while. But I'm optimistic the Magnum is going to be back in action, because it's such a cool bass.