1966 Jaguar restoration (still under way, though refin complete) ..photos inside

Bringing your older offset back to life.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

1966 Jaguar restoration (still under way, though refin complete) ..photos inside

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:30 am

I bought this from flatfiver a while back. The transaction went flawlessly and he is a great guy to deal with!

Here's the way it looked when it came to me:

The tuners were an original set of F keys. Some '66 Jags came stock with them but this one had Klusons when new. It has a new nut and has had a partial refret. It also had  a blank neckplate. It had a mint guard on it,but the original tortoise guard was also included.

One of the first things I did was disassemble it and begin stripping the finish. I used a citrus based stripper from Walmart which worked real well though the finish was VERY thick and durable. There ended up being a thick layer of yellow, then gray primer, another layer of yellow (though slightly lighter in color), another layer of gray primer, then a layer or pearlescent finish (which had the consistency of latex paint!), and finally a layer of white primer. The original sunburst was still in some of the cavities and also under the guard. The yellow finish was REALLY thick. The body is noticeably lighter now with the new finish.

I used white primer then a few thin coats of black lacquer on the body. Perfection wasn't my goal and I want it to eventually age in pretty well to not look like a new guitar. It actually already has some finish chips and other wear all just from regular use over the last month and a half or so. I started using it when the finish still hadn't cured 100%, but like I said, this was what I was aiming for.

So far a few repro/ incorrect parts have been restored to it. I put the original tortoise guard back on, it now has an original mute (complete with the dried up foam  ;D ), an original set of strap buttons, a correct '66 F plate, the rhythm slider switch, and a few screws which were incorrect. I hope to be able to add a complete set of double line Klusons to it after I pay for them ( ;) ). Also the other three slider switches and a correct hardshell case. Those are pretty much the only other things I am concerned with. The '65 bridge pickup sounds GREAT! So I have no plans to worry about that one. Another interesting thing to note is that it had no neck shim when I received it...  the finish in the neck pocket was so thick that it didn't need one!! After the refin though I used an original neck shim (yes.. I had a few lying around  ;D) and got a good break angle with enough room to fit the mute in there. It plays real well with the medium height action I like, so I am real pleased.

Also, I just wanted to say thanks to those who have helped me out with parts and such on this project... you know who you are  ;)!

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: 1966 Jaguar restoration (still under way, though refin complete) ..photos in

Post by fullerplast » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:04 am

Looks good, Justin!

:?
Q. Are we not men?

Surfoverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1966 Jaguar restoration (still under way, though refin complete) ..photos inside

Post by Surfoverb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:52 am

wow that looks awesome! the guard looks great too, makes me want to get a vintage tort guard, maybe...is that a bullet cord or a fender coil?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: 1966 Jaguar restoration (still under way, though refin complete) ..photos in

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:01 am

fullerplast wrote: Looks good, Justin!

Thank you Doug!

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:03 am

Surfoverb wrote: wow that looks awesome! the guard looks great too, makes me want to get a vintage tort guard, maybe...is that a bullet cord or a fender coil?
Thanks!

Yep, the cord is a Bullet. It is one of the ones with one angled and one straight end. Apparently there are some with two straight ends out there. Myself, I prefer mine. It is a great cable, but weighs about 8 pounds  :D It works great as long as your first pedal is velcroed down.

Justin

Surfoverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfoverb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:06 am

i love sharin foo wrote: Yep, the cord is a Bullet. It is one of the ones with one angled and one straight end. Apparently there are some with two straight ends out there. Myself, I prefer mine. It is a great cable, but weighs about 8 pounds  :D It works great as long as your first pedal is velcroed down.

Justin
Cools yeah Ive got the bullet w/ 1 angled end. When I first got it I thought it was obnoxiously big but I think it's very 'retro' haha.

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1966 Jaguar restoration (still under way, though refin complete) ..photos inside

Post by the older brother » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:52 am

Beautiful guitar!

:-*
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:53 am

this is the money shot right there!

8) 8) 8)
Resident Spartan.

stereosanctity
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stereosanctity » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:56 am

Ha!  Looks great!  But it seems that you killed the only yellow Jag in existence!

Jazzprod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzprod » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:23 pm

Awesome man!!!! 8)

Black looks good on a Jaguar.....

......below the apes above the angels.....

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:36 pm

Ah, that looks fantastic!  The black is so... black!  It's just rich and deep, I dig it.

If you decide to sell the white 'guard that was on it, PM me!
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

kle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kle » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:50 pm

My god, i love black/tort.
Another awesome to place here.  :?

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:01 pm

Justin ... great job there  ....

that tort guard looks fantastic.... did you have to do any filing/sanding to get it to fit ?
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:26 pm

Wow, Justin... That thing looks beautiful!  I think it turned out wonderfully.  Black Jags are so cool... 8)

Did you clean up the neck and headstock?  It looks much better than in the "before" pics.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:48 pm

sookwinder wrote: Justin ... great job there  ....

that tort guard looks fantastic.... did you have to do any filing/sanding to get it to fit ?
Thank you David!

Nope... didn't have to do any fitting to get the guard on. It is the original guard for it I believe. I am not sure how long it wasoff of it though. But at any rate, it didn't shrink any more.