1966 Jaguar restoration (still under way, though refin complete) ..photos inside

Bringing your older offset back to life.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: 1966 Jaguar restoration (still under way, though refin complete) ..photos in

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:50 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: Wow, Justin... That thing looks beautiful!  I think it turned out wonderfully.  Black Jags are so cool... 8)

Did you clean up the neck and headstock?  It looks much better than in the "before" pics.
Nope, I didn't do any cleaning at all actually  ;D  I think it may be the lighting making it look a little different. I even reused the strings when I put it back together  :-[    ;D

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Surfoverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1966 Jaguar restoration (still under way, though refin complete) ..photos inside

Post by Surfoverb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:12 pm

This may be a noob question but is the neck plate original? When did they stop putting the 'F' on them? Or are the AVRI's the only ones without it?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: 1966 Jaguar restoration (still under way, though refin complete) ..photos in

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:44 pm

Surfoverb wrote: This may be a noob question but is the neck plate original? When did they stop putting the 'F' on them? Or are the AVRI's the only ones without it?
Up in the first post I mentioned that it came to me with a blank, repro plate. Since then I have acquired a correct '66 F plate which it has now. In the photo where you can see the back (after the refin) you may be able to see it. Either way though it does have it in that photo.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:55 pm

Hey hey, lookin' good!

This made me chuckle:
Another interesting thing to note is that it had no neck shim when I received it...  the finish in the neck pocket was so thick that it didn't need one!!
I came to the same conclusion!

How's it playing?  Is it giving you any problems with buzzes or fretting out?  Isn't that neck worth dying for? :?  I wish I could have somehow taken the back of that neck and grafted it onto my Jazzmaster... it's so beautifully worn in.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Awesome!  :)  I want a black jag, too...  and a red one, and a blue one...

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:41 pm

Nice one, Justin, that looks fantastic!
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:48 pm

flatfiver wrote: Hey hey, lookin' good!

This made me chuckle:
Another interesting thing to note is that it had no neck shim when I received it...  the finish in the neck pocket was so thick that it didn't need one!!
I came to the same conclusion!

How's it playing?  Is it giving you any problems with buzzes or fretting out?  Isn't that neck worth dying for? :?  I wish I could have somehow taken the back of that neck and grafted it onto my Jazzmaster... it's so beautifully worn in.
Yeah, it was amazing how thick that finish was!!

It does have a great feeling neck  :-* The back of it looks and feels just like my '64 JM  :? I haven't had any trouble with it at all. I just did a little setup work after I put it back together and it has been just fine. I haven't found any fretting out or buzzing that was unusual. I like my action kind of on the highside though since I hit the strings pretty hard a lot of the time. I suppose that probably helps it play a little cleaner, but still! I was banking on having to do a decent bit of leveling based on your description of it  :) But it's working out great as is! Thanks again for everything!

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:15 pm

Yeah, I must just be really picky (or unrealistic ::)) about frets... but myself, both the techs at my shop and two guys at another shop (that does a fair amount of vintage Fender) all thought they looked like a real basket case.  Maybe it was the guitar's way of telling me someone else should own it. ;)  Serial said he didn't have any problems with the frets either.  At the time I felt like I got the short end of the stick, but now I feel like a real douche for giving him a hard time about it. :-[  (Sorry Steve!)

Anyway, I'm glad this Jag found a happy home!
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:18 am

black & tortjags look so cool!

great you got all those correct parts together!
Nobody exists on purpose.