62 Jazzmaster - well, sort of

Bringing your older offset back to life.
lwatford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

62 Jazzmaster - well, sort of

Post by lwatford » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:20 pm

I got this guitar not too long ago knowing it would be a bit of a project. I was told the body was a '62, and most of the electronics and hardware were there, so I figured it'd be a good candidate for restoration.

The good - pickups, tremolo, body, pick guard, knobs, a bit of the wiring (I think) were original.

The bad - the refinish wasn't that great - very thick feeling and goopy. Replacement bridge, main pots had been replaced, rhythm circuit wasn't wired in. The pick guard had shrunken to the point that I really didn't want to use it, and had some bad spots on it. The bridge pickup was dead (though it did come with two newer pickups).

Lastly (not really bad) it had a MIJ neck on it. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about the neck, I've been watching for a vintage one, but I'm not sure I want to put that much into it...so maybe a nicer vintage spec neck?

Anyway...pictures!

this is how it came to me:

the refinished body:

I sent the body off to the MJT guys to see about a better refinish. Here are the stripped pictures:

and here is my update picture (Ocean Turquoise - I know it's not a period correct color, but I wanted something that would look nice with tort)

The original pickguard:

the repro PG:

wired (ended up needing to replace one of the rhythm circuit pots, and I changed the main pots to 250k):

Pickups back from Novak & Mastery bridge:

The rest of the parts, sadly in a box till the body gets back...

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 62 Jazzmaster - well, sort of

Post by fuzzking » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:33 am

Refin looking good!

But please get rid of that repro guard monstrosity and use the original one. It's not that much work to make it fit. Enlargen the screw holes and inner contours with needle file/flat file/sandpaper. Never mind the enlarged rhythm circuit hole. You'll be glad you did.

Of course you could use the MIJ neck or get a Musikraft/Warmoth/CGUSA one taylored to taste, but I feel the body deserves a vintage one in the end. Some day a beater neck might pop up that could be saved with a bit of TLC. Maybe I'm a bit militant regarding necks, but I'd take a new guitar with an old neck over the opposite any day.

Sorry for the instructional undertones...just waking up over here. ;)
Nobody exists on purpose.

lwatford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lwatford » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:35 am

fuzzking wrote:Refin looking good!

But please get rid of that repro guard monstrosity and use the original one. It's not that much work to make it fit. Enlargen the screw holes and inner contours with needle file/flat file/sandpaper. Never mind the enlarged rhythm circuit hole. You'll be glad you did.

Of course you could use the MIJ neck or get a Musikraft/Warmoth/CGUSA one taylored to taste, but I feel the body deserves a vintage one in the end. Some day a beater neck might pop up that could be saved with a bit of TLC. Maybe I'm a bit militant regarding necks, but I'd take a new guitar with an old neck over the opposite any day.

Sorry for the instructional undertones...just waking up over here.

I had hoped to use the pg, but it had actually shrunk to the point where it wasn't covering the upper cavity when I got it. It's also very "milky" overall. I just figured rather than hacking it up to get something close to fitting I'd set it aside for now.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:44 am

lwatford wrote:
fuzzking wrote:Refin looking good!
(...)
I had hoped to use the pg, but it had actually shrunk to the point where it wasn't covering the upper cavity when I got it. It's also very "milky" overall. I just figured rather than hacking it up to get something close to fitting I'd set it aside for now.
I see. You know, I have a '63 and a '64 JM and on both, the upper cavity is showing through for a mm or two. Doesn't bother me. It's the guards that belong on these guitars IMHO. Then again, to each his own... but I think that repro guard doesn't do the guitar any justice. Or maybe just sell the vintage guard at ridiculous price and get a nice Spitfire one that compliments the ocean turquoise? A bit on the lighter side, yellowish? Like this?

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:51 am

same here.

but PLEASE don't sodomize this old lady with that terrible Jimmy guard! :wtf:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:04 am

I agree with the others - refin is looking good but it just needs better tort.

You could sell that vintage guard if you're not going to use it and *more* than pay for a Spitfire guard. People will still pay obscene prices even if you tell them the guard has shrunk to the point that the upper cavity shows a bit.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:25 am

BIG +1 for making the guard fit. It's so worth it, imo.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

lwatford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lwatford » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:47 pm

you guys don't make it easy to spend less money...do you? I couldn't decide if I wanted to go all the way on a Spitfire guard or not. This is one of the Portlandmusic ones, I agree it does look more Japanese export than '60s Jazzmaster.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:03 pm

I am with the other guys...but offer a slightly "extended" view...put the guitar back together, play it, and then focus on the guard when the time is right :)

I have to agree with Michael too, that this one deserves a vintage neck, should funds allow, of course...the feel of a worn Fender neck is something to behold, and cherish :) 8) :-*

Take your time (if you have the time), and it is so special to own a vintage guitar 8)

Great guitar! :)
Resident Spartan.

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by will » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:16 pm

A more budget way to get a vintage neck for this might be to go with one from a Coronado - I have one on my guitar, and I'm super-happy with it. Plus, if you sell the Japanese neck and the leftover Coronado parts, you might wind up ahead in the end.

…though the downside is the different headstock shape, and that maybe you'll be haunted by the ghost of Roger Rossmeisl for disassembling an old Coronado.

lwatford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lwatford » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Any thoughts on this neck?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Vintage-Fe ... 58cb27fa32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've seen it listed several times, it's got some things that make me a little leery of it. And it seems high.

lwatford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lwatford » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:30 pm

will wrote:A more budget way to get a vintage neck for this might be to go with one from a Coronado - I have one on my guitar, and I'm super-happy with it. Plus, if you sell the Japanese neck and the leftover Coronado parts, you might wind up ahead in the end.

…though the downside is the different headstock shape, and that maybe you'll be haunted by the ghost of Roger Rossmeisl for disassembling an old Coronado.
That's an interesting thought...I've seen more Coronado necks than jm necks.

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by will » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:35 pm

The description could be more honest. It doesn't mention the crack coming out of the tuners, and the fret wear looks more than minor.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:45 am

Hmm the crack... at least they made a clear picture of it. The pictures look a bit stark in contrast, so I attribute the what looks like über-extreme discoloration on the back and orangey neck to the camera settings. Looks legit to me, but I'm not an expert. They could have included a pic of the neck stamp. If it's any like the 63 I have, it should feel fantastic. Well rounded C on mine.

(edit)
Coronado neck here
Who knows... a bit of headstock reshaping & refin, some clay dots and a new decal... whatever, it's half the price of the JM one you posted.

lwatford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lwatford » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:48 am

will wrote:The description could be more honest. It doesn't mention the crack coming out of the tuners, and the fret wear looks more than minor.
Frets look shot, the crack really concerns me. Maybe I'll call and ask about it.