62 Jazzmaster - well, sort of

Bringing your older offset back to life.
sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Re: 62 Jazzmaster - well, sort of

Post by sookwinder » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:11 pm

The library section has amazing information btw ...

relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

lwatford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lwatford » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:14 pm

Have a small checklist of things to do, but I put strings on last night!

mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcjt » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:00 am

Sweet! you got the veneer board on your MK neck! that's a really nice retro neck!

lwatford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lwatford » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:00 pm

mcjt wrote:Sweet! you got the veneer board on your MK neck! that's a really nice retro neck!
I tried to spec it as "vintage" as I could, so I did the veneer board, clay dots, centered side dots, etc. I did cheat a little and use a set of Gotoh locking hight adjustable tuners...they still look like Klusons, just with modern features and no string tree. I also ordered it with the Chunky C-1 neck, and they aren't kidding about the chunky part. It's awesome, though I don't think I could deal with much more!

lwatford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lwatford » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:03 am

Back with another question...I have a mastery bridge, which I understand is not supposed to rock, right? I know that the previous owner of this body had been using the bridge without the thimble on the treble side. Is it possible that it's been enlarged enough to rock? Or is it just the thimbles that I have are a bit loose? They seemed snug enough when I put them in.

I have ordered a set of Mastery thimbles to see if they make a difference, if not, what are my options?

Bothand Nether
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bothand Nether » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:35 am

spacecadet wrote:I agree with the others - refin is looking good but it just needs better tort.

You could sell that vintage guard if you're not going to use it and *more* than pay for a Spitfire guard. People will still pay obscene prices even if you tell them the guard has shrunk to the point that the upper cavity shows a bit.
+1 to this.
I used to dislike tort, until I saw what spitfire can do.
if you are going mastery-quality components,
the a 200.00 pickguard is justifiable, imo.

That MJT color looks fantasatic!
"No short-haired, yellow-bellied Son of tricky dicky's Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me"
-The late Mr. L.

lwatford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lwatford » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:38 pm

lwatford wrote:Back with another question...I have a mastery bridge, which I understand is not supposed to rock, right? I know that the previous owner of this body had been using the bridge without the thimble on the treble side. Is it possible that it's been enlarged enough to rock? Or is it just the thimbles that I have are a bit loose? They seemed snug enough when I put them in.

I have ordered a set of Mastery thimbles to see if they make a difference, if not, what are my options?

I think the Mastery thimbles might have solved the problem! I had forgotten how loose the others were till I flipped the guitar over and one just fell out...

I still have a couple of electronic things to sort out (one of which might be fixed with the better fitting thimbles...maybe I won't loose my string ground when I use the bar!).

lwatford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lwatford » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:39 pm

Bothand Nether wrote:
spacecadet wrote:I agree with the others - refin is looking good but it just needs better tort.

You could sell that vintage guard if you're not going to use it and *more* than pay for a Spitfire guard. People will still pay obscene prices even if you tell them the guard has shrunk to the point that the upper cavity shows a bit.
+1 to this.
I used to dislike tort, until I saw what spitfire can do.
if you are going mastery-quality components,
the a 200.00 pickguard is justifiable, imo.

That MJT color looks fantasatic!
I actually ended up keeping the original guard. The spitfire I got was nice, but still didn't beat the old one. It's grown on me!