Re: '63 Jaguar project.

Bringing your older offset back to life.
fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:36 am

BMM is becoming one of my favorites...  :?
Nobody exists on purpose.

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:10 am

Yeah, mine too. BMM is beautiful. I have to admit it is tempting. The Jag I am refinishing has a tort guard though. Wonder how that would look????Oh well, it's too late for me. I've already ordered Olympic White.

Regan

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:58 pm

Making slow progress .. managed to get most of the wiring done yesterday. It's the first time I've wired up a Jag and I was pleased to get it all right the first time except for two things:

1. I'd put the output jack in facing the other way from the schematic so I ended up wiring live to ground and vice versa. This gave me a confusing ten minutes going through checking ground connections to try and get rid of the weird hums until I noticed what I'd done wrong.

2. The bridge pickup, which had been fine, became an open circuit! This was good for some pure panic, thinking I'd killed it by damaging the windings when moving the cover, until I resoldered the live wire to the pup itself and it came back to life - cold joint I guess (I'd been testing directly across the pup with a multimeter and getting nothing, presumably because of having one of the probes on the cold part of the joint).

Just a few other things to do:

- file the guard (isn't that always a problem ..)
- find some bits and pieces: screws for the trem block, claws for the pups (where do you get those things anyway?)
- install the ferrules and thimbles - this may require some filing out since at the moment they don't look even close to fitting.

Unfortunately I dropped the body at one point (didn't realize the case was unlatched and picked it up) so there's now a huge obvious-looking ding in the top horn. Having said that there are a few other flaws in the finish which have started to grate on me, even though the basic colour is lovely, so maybe a refin is in order anyway.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:43 am

I think Angela sells the Jaguar claws seperatly. I bought a set a few years ago. Not to expensive as well and geniune AVRI parts. (they are actually a tad wider then the MIJ/CIJ counterpart and much nicer made.)
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

Djazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Djazzmaster » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:21 am

mezcalhead wrote: Unfortunately I dropped the body at one point (didn't realize the case was unlatched and picked it up) so there's now a huge obvious-looking ding in the top horn. Having said that there are a few other flaws in the finish which have started to grate on me, even though the basic colour is lovely, so maybe a refin is in order anyway.
Exciting project...are you really considering a refin already!??  You're so close!  I think once it's all finished you will not be as distracted by the small defects.  Of course, I'm just saying that out of my own impatience, because I want to see the finished product!  :)

BTW, here is another source for pickup claws: http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/hardware_other.html

Best of luck with the final steps!  Looks like  a lot of fun!
Kelly