Domino Spartan Restoration/Matsumoku Content

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Soselo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Domino Spartan Restoration/Matsumoku Content

Post by Soselo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:05 pm

I already posted this to r/offset on reddit, but I picked up a late-60s Domino Spartan in less than working condition from a friend a week or so ago.

Something like a Jaguar with Mustang-ish bridge and electronics and the Ventures Jazzmaster pickguard. Looks to have veneer top and back over plywood or something of the like judging by the weight and the way the sunburst covers the belly and arm contours.

It's short a tuner, a nut, a few bridge saddles, a bridge cover and a tremolo bar and could use a general overhaul (set-up, wiring, possibly the trem mechanism). I know from lurking that a number of you are fans of the old Matsumokus and their tremolos.

Could Jazzmaster or Mustang saddles work for this? I haven't had any luck finding similar looking components on ebay. I'm not too concerned about finding a bridge cover and I understand that these take 11/32" tremolo bars.

Is this cause for alarm? Looks like it once had a non-functional "show plate" over the actual bolts like some old Yamahas, but the current bolts don't inspire a lot of confidence.

I'll post my progress and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Spellcaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Domino Spartan Restoration/Matsumoku Content

Post by Spellcaster » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Hey Soselo, I think I have what you need. I recently restored a Matsumoku Raven and ended up buying a complete bridge for it. The only part of the of the original that I've got is the bridge bar and roller saddles. If this is what you need, I'll send them your way for the price of postage.

"I know just enough to be dangerous..."

Soselo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soselo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:17 pm

PM sent!

Spellcaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Spellcaster » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:51 pm

Soselo, do your tuners look like these ones on my Raven? If so, you're in luck. I found five of the six pieces from a 3+3 headstock (probably the Epiphone version?) that are the same style. The two bass side tuners are pretty hosed, with lots of backlash, but the three from the treble side of the headstock seem to be really tight and pristine. I suspect you could probably mix and match gears and posts and end up with a good tuner to fill the empty hole. If your tuners are anything like mine were (all really sloppy) you might be able to refurbish at least a couple of them with the remaining parts. Just let me know if they're the right ones before I box up the bridge.

"I know just enough to be dangerous..."

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Man, that thing is beautiful.

Soselo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soselo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:08 pm

Super dormant thread! Lost my password several years ago. I ended up giving this project to a friend without a guitar for a tape deck and $20. Friend of his undertook a full resto of the Domino and a similar Univox.

I was partial to the sunburst, but the salmon looks pretty good.