Re: 63 Jaguar Refin

Bringing your older offset back to life.
scottme
Expat
Expat

63 Jaguar Refin

Post by scottme » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi everybody,

Thought I'd share an update on my 63 Jag Olly White refin projest.

I have tried to go down the path of yellow stain -> clear sealer -> basecoat -> Olly White -> yellowoed clear -> clear.

After stripping, I filled in some divots in the body in a few spots. My concern was that the staining process would disolve some of the woodfiller, so I did a very light coat of Acrylic clear.

I then concocted a mix of laquer thinner, a small amount of Nitroclear and yellow dye. The yellow dye I used was more an amber colour though. So I painted that on with a brush (I don't have access to a gun at this stage).

The results were quite poor, so I lightly sanded back.

Next I tried mix some artists Cadmium yellow powdered pigment disolved in some denatured alcohol.

I made a fairly strong mix (about 50ml by volume powder) in 500mL of alcohol. I then rubbed this on the body several time with a cloth.

As you can see from the pics, the results are less than stellar. Maybe because the body had been partly sealed, the dye did not take very well to the body.

Anyone else had similar experiences? What could I have done better? Also, has anyone found oriignal pics of Fender yellow stained bodies?

The body s now pretty smooth, and I need to get hold of some clear catalyst sealer. I'm not so concerned about the dodgy stain as it will be hidden by the colours.

vegasrock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vegasrock » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:59 pm

Last edited by vegasrock on Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:27 am

I'm not so concerned about it now of course, but if I ever decided to do any if these sort of stain finishes in the future, it would be good to get it right.

I found what should be a good alternative to Fullerplast here. It's called Epoxy21 and it's normally used as waterproofing on ponds and stuff. Does anyone know roughly how much catalyst sealer should be used on a Jag - 250ml? 500ml?

vegasrock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vegasrock » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:19 am

Last edited by vegasrock on Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:04 pm

Hmm... that's an idea, probably wouldn't need much. It would be a little streaky still, but the effect would be pretty close to ideal.