Uncovering Bridge Cavity Date........

Bringing your older offset back to life.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Uncovering Bridge Cavity Date........

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:54 pm

While I'm changing pickguards I've decided to see if I can find any kind of pencil date in the Bridge Cavity.

I followed advice from a few of the guys here. Nitromors worked fine. It took no time at all stripping the paint to within a whisker of bare wood.

Its looking like this now.......

The surface still feels very smooth. Not like untreated wood. It feels like there's still a layer of laquer on there. I've only used Nitromors & a scraper so far. No sandpaper.

QUESTIONS :
1) There's clearly nothing visible yet. Should I hit it with sandpaper? The Nitromors has pretty much done its job, right?
2) Have I gone as far down as possible? Maybe this is pretty much bare wood & the original colour has just soaked into the grain?
3) Am I wasting my time?
4) Were the cavity dates pencilled & if not permanent a trace would they leave? I could very easily oversand & destroy it, right?

I'm of the impression that I can get deeper down & still (maybe) reveal something as I did originally sand the body down to clean, bare wood. I just never bothered with the cavities. I also never payed attention to what colours were underneath the crappy refin (reckless youth and all that).

One interesting thing is that the base (original) colour appears to be red. Remember, when I bought this someone had done a cheapo spray job on it. A kind of off-black (hints of dark brown). The seller swore it was a refin & not the original colour that'd faded to a browny/black.

Anyway. Has anyone got any suggestions??
Last edited by PorkyPrimeCut on Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: Uncovering Bridge Cavity Date........

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:04 am

if the date was in the bridge pup cavity, it looks like it's been lost long ago. it could be in the neck pup cavity though.
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:12 am

not all JM bodies were dated.
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:23 am

The guitar is now back together with the new pickguard. I couldn't be bothered looking in the other cavity as the shielding was a pain to get out.

Incidentally. The bridge cavity is missing its shielding. Will this be a problem when playing through an amp??
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.