1963 Jag Sonic Blue

Bringing your older offset back to life.
scottme
Expat
Expat

Re: 1963 Jag Sonic Blue

Post by scottme » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:18 pm

afunkymonk wrote: Yeah - what I really need is a gun and compressor. May try to borrow one...

The tinted clear is too strong for an amateur like me.  :(
I found that what tends to happen is that as the tinted clear coat dries, the colour becomes more intense. The options you have are to sand back very carefully, but it is difficult to avoid sand throughs around the edges and horn areas, or to add a tinted coat of the original finish to lighten it up. But the danger doing this is that if you sand through the clear coat, you get dark spots and you end up chasing your tail. I had the same issues with my twin 63 jags, as i went to heavy on the tinted coat. So the rule is never over-tint . Unfortunately this comes about through experience.

Keep at, I am sure it will come out well - looking good as it is!

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:43 pm

I seriously would not wet sand it back.. a light cutting compund is much much better to use in situations where you really dont want to damage the colour coat. Also another point I would make is that youre far better off with a very light tint...a too heavily artificially tinted finsih looks awful after a few years in the sun..

afunkymonk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by afunkymonk » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:12 pm

After more thinking, and lots more sanding, the sensible thing to do would be to get the colour of the headstock matched exactly, mask the hardware and spray the tinted colour. Then I can spray as heavy a coat as I need to get an even colour, then polish it out without a clear coat to avoid any more colour change in the future.

Wear spots would show the lighter colour, exactly as if the clearcoat had worn through.

Now I need to  find somewhere in Hong Kong to mix nitro to order.

In the meantime, I think I need to put this thing back together and get it played...
Why is Spain? Where are the Snowdons of yesteryear?

afunkymonk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by afunkymonk » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:40 pm

or...
http://www.summertan.com/osc/index.php?cPath=1
one of these if I can find one - just age the clearcoat.
Why is Spain? Where are the Snowdons of yesteryear?