DONE! ADH/Gonk/theworkoffire restore '72 JM neck (p.21)

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

DONE! ADH/Gonk/theworkoffire restore '72 JM neck (p.21)

Post by Pacafeliz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:08 pm

ok so long story short... i finally could work out a deal with my lefty friend and ex-guitar player. he has had this amazing beat-up '72 jazzmaster for some years, and i've always wanted it. he said he'd only sell it to me when the time comes.

well now the time has come. yesterday he showed up at my door with the guitar and said "dude, i'm tired of having it hanging round the house, and it's really unconfortable to play upside-down". i was stoked. he told me a more than decent price, and i can "take all the time in the world" to pay it off.
i had sold him my old marshall 4x12 and pro reverb in that way too. we're good friends, even though we don't see each other that much any more.

(he'll bring me the original trem arm one of these days)

anyways. the guitar is all original and wonderful.
but some years ago, the ass/previous owner had a new fretboard fitted on it. yes. new fretboard. with 22 frets. quite a terrible job. it was REALLY unplayable. my friend put a squier strat neck on it, and i'll do the same thing for now.

but upon closer inspection, i realized that the fretboard was higher after the (terrible small) nut, so i thought just MAYBE there's still the blocks or something left under it. the binging was made outta wood.

frets at the end were much to small too...
(WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!???)

so, impatiently and impulsively, i took out my old (but still very sharp) swiss army knife and a small hammer. and got down at it...
that's how it looks right now.... don't be scared... yes it looks TERRIBLE!!!

you see the cutouts from where the block markers once were are still there/visible, filled with some weird stuff.
so apparently, over the original maple, there was a thin layer of some other light wood, and then the dark wood (rosewood?) over it.

maybe it could have been made in a less messy way with a heat gun, but i don't have one... and if i didn't do something NOW i'd just never do anything to it.
i think i'll do the last round with sandpaper, or so.

but then i'm stuck.

so... i'm looking for someone (andrew, i'm a BIG fan of yer work... same as paul's) to put on a maple board, BLACK blocks and binding. and that's it. andrew's done that exact same thing to his "personal jag", and it looked amazing.

PLEASE?! or... who else???

Pat.
Last edited by Pacafeliz on Mon May 16, 2016 11:28 am, edited 11 times in total.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

andrewdoeshair dares restoring my '72 JM neck!

Post by Pacafeliz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:15 pm

YAAAAAAY... andrewdoeshair agreed to do it!!! ;D

we agreed he'll be able to take ALL the time he wants/needs, and no guilt or so IF he should be not able to do it... or screw it up.
but i'm sure it won't happen. and if it WOULD happen... i'd just keep on using my 80s squier neck with/on it.
the neck can't be worse than how it is now.

anyways... this thread will be updated periodically every now and then, mostly by andrew, i guess.

as for now, i'm leaving to the airport in 6 hours, and will be arriving in Costa Rica in about 13 hours, so i won't be able to send it out until tuesday of next week.

stay tuned for more.

THIS WILL BE KILLER!!! ;D

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: who dares restoring my '72 JM neck!? andrew? paul?

Post by Pacafeliz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:19 pm

since i can't edit the OP, here's some more pics...

here's the pic of the "too small frets"

and some more of the gore...

...'tis but a scratch...

the "binding" i'm sure can easily be "cleaned up" with a bandsaw or so...

dogbird
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dogbird » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:since i can't edit the OP, here's some more pics...

here's the pic of the "too small frets"
that looks like a chocolate cake.

bad bad bad board though. people do weird things :squint:

estranged
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by estranged » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:35 pm

Pat, you find the strangest stuff!

Jazztastic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazztastic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:49 pm

wow, that neck looks like its been through a war. The Jazz looks nice though, I think I remember you mentioning your friend and this axe before, so congrats on finally owning it! :D

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:49 am

theres got to be a special place in hell for people who do really shit stuff to guitars for no good reason

duncanjames
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by duncanjames » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:32 am

Wow! I'm curious, did the guitar play in tune at all? I mean, it was still 25.5" from the nut to the bridge, and the neck itself was the same length... But they managed to squeeze 22 frets in there. I wonder if they went by any sort of scale length, or just "I'll cut each slot a little bit closer than the last one. No need to measure, I'll just eyeball it!"

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:44 am

duncanjames wrote: "I'll cut each slot a little bit closer than the last one. No need to measure, I'll just eyeball it!"
That's how I make my guitars :whistle:
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:20 am

andrewdoeshair wrote:
duncanjames wrote: "I'll cut each slot a little bit closer than the last one. No need to measure, I'll just eyeball it!"
That's how I make my guitars :whistle:
:wtf: DUDE!!!

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:32 am

Whoa, dang. That neck has seen better days to say the least. I certainly would've said yes to the job as well. I'm sure Andrew will do a good job with it, and I get to watch along the way like everyone else. Looking forward to it!

Markocaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Markocaster » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:14 pm

WOW WTF people Do have crazy ideas Gore indeed :fp:
I bet Andrew brings it back to life :)

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Well I REALLY am glad to do this so I can use the repaired neck to bonk the head of the interviewer at the big F corp, who seems to have passed on me :P
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

mongoose
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mongoose » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:06 am

andrewdoeshair wrote:Well I REALLY am glad to do this so I can use the repaired neck to bonk the head of the interviewer at the big F corp, who seems to have passed on me :P
Yeah, we're behind you. I'm sure you're got a "BIG F" for them! :D
"Every day I live forces me to add to the number of people who can kiss my ass."- mongoose

Britfingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Britfingers » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:21 am

andrewdoeshair wrote:Well I REALLY am glad to do this so I can use the repaired neck to bonk the head of the interviewer at the big F corp, who seems to have passed on me :P
I wouldnt be so negative quite yet Andrew, in my experience job offers come at a time when you least experience them. Just recently I applied for a job in the US, I received a very nice letter saying basically "no thanks". I put it behind me and forgot about it.
A month or so later I was woken early one morning with a call from Italy, the company in the states had passed my CV on to a another company in Tuscany...I fly out there next week ot finalise a contract and make my mind up if I want the job. ( all paid for of course)
Two hours after that call I get another call from a company in england, just twenty five minutes from where I live, asking if I could come over for an interview that day. They had been given my details from another employee without my knowledge.
Iv been trying for months to find a new job with no avail...then out the blue two calls! Strange things happen. :)
Sorry for slightly highjacking the thread! :fp: