Re: In the 70s & 80s ..

Bringing your older offset back to life.
mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

In the 70s & 80s ..

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:49 am

.. evil stalked the earth. Helpless offsets were hunted down. They were cruelly stripped bare, clumsily refinished in headache-inducing 70s paint schemes, brutally routed by inexperienced luthiers or forced to bear unnatural hardware like humbuckers, tune-o-matics, locking tuners, Floyd Roses .. the list of man's inhumanity to offset goes on.

Here is one such victim:

However, I am proud to report to you that two weeks back she left Casa del Mez for southern climes, to the workshop of Mr. Ron Tuohy, a man well known for his abillity to restore guitars to their previous loveliness. Eventually she will return from her Extreme Makeover as a stunning Olympic White with a matching headstock and vintage pickups.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:55 am

Great project! It will be cool to follow the progress.

It reminds me of a '65 Jag I once had, but it had the Fender 'wide-range' HBs (ala Tele Deluxe) in it. It also had a bound/dot C-width neck.

Oh... in your list of 70s atrocities, you forgot the ever-present and obligatory BRASS NUT!  :)
Q. Are we not men?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:59 am

fullerplast wrote:
Oh... in your list of 70s atrocities, you forgot the ever-present and obligatory BRASS NUT!  :)
Hey!  I resent that! My Travis Bean has a brass nut and it is great!

j/k. I know what you mean. It's a shame to see all the things people did to these guitars over time. But, if it weren't for people like us, there would be even less good ones out there.

Justin.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:15 pm

I love the sunburst on that '66. Actually, I love everything about that one. It reminds me of my '64 a little, save for the blocks and binding..

Justin

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:44 pm

man that's gorgeous!

your '64 and Jon's gave me massive sunburst gas for a long while.. I was so happy when I finally found this one. It's beginning to wear in that exact same spot as yours, hard to photograph though. I'm amazed at the difference in finish between those two years.. the red band on mine is noticeably thicker, I guess they weren't real consistent over in the paint room ;D

Last edited by daydreamdelay on Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:52 pm

Actually, mine did have a really wide red band when new, but it has faded out on the front. The back still has it and you can see it under the trem plate and pickguard on the front. I wish it was still wide though  :(  But oh well, it sure does play and sound great. It is strung with some Pyramid flats and tuned to C#. If I could only have one Jazzmaster, this would be it I think.

Justin

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:03 pm

Wow I'd love to see a pic of that sometime.. reminds me of the antigua Jag or maybe JM someone posted a while back on the FDP, the band had completely faded away, interesting.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:13 am

fullerplast wrote: Oh... in your list of 70s atrocities, you forgot the ever-present and obligatory BRASS NUT!  :)
Hey, what's wrong with brass nuts on jazzmasters?!
http://members.fortunecity.com/baleatus ... assnut.jpg

OK, so that didn't work. How do you guys do that neat image linking?

Never mind, I think I got it:

Last edited by Orang Goreng on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.