These are my JM projects

Bringing your older offset back to life.
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

These are my JM projects

Post by OffYourFace » Sat May 05, 2007 6:02 pm

The first one is the RED one.  I built this after 5 years of sellers remorse, when I parted with my 1960 Sunburst.  This guitar has a poorly refin'd Jan. 1960 body but we like the color (this now belongs to my girlfriend who plays guitar and sings in our band).  It's got a Japanese '66RI neck with a great dark fretboard.  The pickups are Duncan Antiquity II's and the tailpiece & saddles are from 1965.  I have the original '65 bridge but I bought it on ebay not knowing its posts were cut to make it shorter, guy didn't mention it  >:(  I'm using 500k pots to tame the top end and NO rhythm ckt.  The neckplate & screws are from Callaham Guitars.  This guitar plays and sounds fantastic!  :-*
Btw, the amp is a '77 50watt JMP Master Vol. in a new headbox built by Heritage Guitars.

Last edited by OffYourFace on Sat May 05, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: These are my JM projects

Post by OffYourFace » Sat May 05, 2007 6:23 pm

The 2nd JM I just got...  it's a Jan. 1959 model.  As you can see, the previous owner wanted it to match his homemade coffee table :o
My friend tipped me off when his company bought it.  He's one of their head repairmen and I got all the needed extra work done for free, I totally lucked out on this. 
The neck is crazy!  Look at all the birdseyes!  The fretboard is dark & beautiful and the original single-line Klusons work perfectly.  It's freshly refretted only because it was poorly refretted before.  The clay dots in the higher note register look whiter because I didn't want to alter the radius sooo... I had my friend just slightly 'lower' the higher end of the board to prevent dead notes, it worked out perfectly!
The pickups are original but the neck pickup was dead so he got L.Fralin to rewind it, sounds great!  Again, I'm using 500k pots mostly because one (tone) was already replaced.  The Rhythm ckt. is connected this time.  The bridge has the original cover and rare smaller threading on the high E & B strings. The Pat Pend Vibrato is so smooth.  All the knobs, tips are original and the gold guard is in great shape except who ever played this must've been a finger style player, looks like lots of nail stomping between the switch and vol. knob.  Also has the original tweed case.

So Now all it needs is a refin... 

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun May 06, 2007 1:25 am

That'll be excellent once it's refinished .. this is the one going San Marino blue, right? I just remembered there was a San Marino blue gold guard in the Chinery collection, although I can't find any pics of it right now.

Great-looking Marshall too.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun May 06, 2007 8:31 am

OffYourFace wrote:

wow...looks amazing, actually!!

looking forward to see it refinned at some point :)
Resident Spartan.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun May 06, 2007 1:56 pm

I just sent an email to Curtis Novak for a quote and to see if he's interested in doing the work.  Anybody here used him for paint jobs?  He seems like a really cool guy.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Sun May 06, 2007 5:46 pm

WOAH!
I prefer their older stuff.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue May 08, 2007 8:13 pm

I forgot, we've got one of these too...  Don't have the original case for it though.  Those are hard to come by.

brianjdc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brianjdc » Tue May 08, 2007 8:27 pm

nice
go sabres!!!!!!!!!!!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed May 09, 2007 2:01 am

OffYourFace wrote: I forgot, we've got one of these too...  Don't have the original case for it though.  Those are hard to come by.

very nice....I have one of these in the post...should be here any day :)
Resident Spartan.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed May 09, 2007 3:20 pm

My girlfriend bought the XII in the early '90s for $600...  that and a '67 SG Special (P-90s, Pete Townsend) for $500.  Crazy...
I still have nightmares about the beat up1960 2 pickup Les Paul Custom/black beauty I could've bought in '94 for $2500  :'(
Oh well, there's more to life than guitars...  right?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed May 09, 2007 3:28 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Oh well, there's more to life than guitars...  right?

hmmm...I dunno...I'm feeling materialistic this week!! :D

:)
Resident Spartan.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm

Yeah, but is the rug original?  I could have bought a 64' with tassles for $350 back in the early 90's, but now they are going for like $2000....
:P

Sweet collection, I am very jealous!!  :?
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed May 09, 2007 9:08 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: Yeah, but is the rug original?  I could have bought a 64' with tassles for $350 back in the early 90's, but now they are going for like $2000....

Hahaha, that made me laugh!  Very clever.... I don't know anything about the rug but you never know...  I'll take it to the Antique Road Show ;D
Don't be jealous, we just got lucky with these guitars.  I'm no rich man but I've owned many different guitars.  I've found some amazing stuff at amazing prices while touring across the US.  I'm not into the resale business either, I just like having the experiences of owning different guitars.

Here's another fun 'Offset' guitar, an old Teisco.  I think we got this thing for $250 and I've seen them go for $700 on ebay.  It's a cool guitar with a cool sound (very microphonic) but not That cool.  Whatever, I think we're gonna keep this one in the stable for a while.  It just looks too cool to get rid of.

brianjdc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brianjdc » Wed May 09, 2007 9:36 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote: Yeah, but is the rug original?  I could have bought a 64' with tassles for $350 back in the early 90's, but now they are going for like $2000....

Hahaha, that made me laugh!   Very clever.... I don't know anything about the rug but you never know...  I'll take it to the Antique Road Show ;D
Don't be jealous, we just got lucky with these guitars.  I'm no rich man but I've owned many different guitars.  I've found some amazing stuff at amazing prices while touring across the US.  I'm not into the resale business either, I just like having the experiences of owning different guitars.

Here's another fun 'Offset' guitar, an old Teisco.  I think we got this thing for $250 and I've seen them go for $700 on ebay.  It's a cool guitar with a cool sound (very microphonic) but not That cool.  Whatever, I think we're gonna keep this one in the stable for a while.  It just looks too cool to get rid of.

looks like some of the stuff dipinto is putting out now
go sabres!!!!!!!!!!!