July 1979 Bronco Refin/ mod thoughts

Bringing your older offset back to life.
mongoose
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

July 1979 Bronco Refin/ mod thoughts

Post by mongoose » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:36 am

So as I posted previously, I bought (ok, traded) for an all-original, untouched, black 79 Bronco- only to find that the seller had made the disastrous last minute decision to remove some sticker residue with industrial-strength adhesive remover. Totally destroyed the finish on the face of the guitar, and damaged the pickguard as well.

So after posting for a refinisher, I found Captain Crunch lives semi-locally, and was available. All good so far. Now I'm just deciding on a color, since there's no real need to keep anything original at this point.

Speaking of original, I'm definitely not a guy to dick with vintage guitars, mods and the like. Some things should be left well enough alone, I believe. Having said that, though, I think a (reversible) mod may be in order to make this Bronco stage-worthy.

The jack is pickguard-mounted, which is usually not a problem. But on these, the section of guard in question us very narrow and flimsy. I can actually imagine the pickguard snapping against the strain in the heat of a spirited performance. What plate could I use (Mustang?) that would be functional and attractive, yet be reversible? Since I have to have a new guard made anyway (TORT!), this seems like a reasonable option.

Please share your thoughts, opinions (never any shortage around here), experiences, and wisdom.

Thanks!

MODS: If this post would be better suited to MODS and PROJECTS, please feel free to move.
"Every day I live forces me to add to the number of people who can kiss my ass."- mongoose

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: July 1979 Bronco Refin/ mod thoughts

Post by panoramic » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:40 am

put a widerange in the neck, toss a mustang guard on there, call it a day

eat kix, shit tastes amazing
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

mongoose
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mongoose » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:34 am

panoramic wrote:put a widerange in the neck, toss a mustang guard on there, call it a day

eat kix, shit tastes amazing
Kix is full of corny goodness. And if you eat it, so shall be your sh*t!

Will a 'Stang guard fit? That would certainly be an easy enough route if so.
"Every day I live forces me to add to the number of people who can kiss my ass."- mongoose

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:09 pm

If you put a mustang control plate you're gonna have to drill extra holes tho'