restoring oversanded body shape

Bringing your older offset back to life.
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

restoring oversanded body shape

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:02 am

i have this old jazzmaster body that had been stripped and refinished god knows how many times before i bought it, and i´m pretty sure at one point a belt sander was used to strip it. about a year ago i slapped on a few coats of white nitro on it and just left it, but lately i´ve been thinking of touching up or redoing the finish altogether, and figured i migh as well try to fix the overall shape while i´m at it. the most obvious flaw is the neck pocket area, where a lot of wood is missing, making the heel of the neck stick out quite a bit. also, some areas along the edges show obvious signs of belt sanding.

so my question is: what methods would one use to restore the shape?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: restoring oversanded body shape

Post by zhivago » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:05 am

I'd think you'd have to find a similar piece of wood, glue it on, and then re-shape it to fit the rest of the guitar....
Resident Spartan.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:17 am

yeah that´s what i was afraid of (my wood working skills are very limited, at best)  :(

fourmations
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fourmations » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:17 am

what about using Isopon - the car body filler

I havent a clue if it will work, maybe someone elso may advise

rgds

nealescott
Expat
Expat

Post by nealescott » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:11 am

I'd think you'd have to find a similar piece of wood, glue it on, and then re-shape it to fit the rest of the guitar....
bingo, the other option is to use some 'wood filler' putty, which you can buy in small tubs, that's probably gonna be easier if you're not too confident about woodworking, and if you're painting over it all, the colour mismatch won't matter.
apocalypse is happenning.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:14 am

I'd nose around in the Reranch forums - http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewforu ... db3c170576  Ask your question there, and read through the posts.  There's a guy there who saves totally butchered SG's using fancy woodworking and wood filler.
Interesting stuff,
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:31 pm

ahh well SG's already look butchered so what difference would it make?  :-\

:P  :D

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:31 am

nealescott wrote:
bingo, the other option is to use some 'wood filler' putty, which you can buy in small tubs, that's probably gonna be easier if you're not too confident about woodworking, and if you're painting over it all, the colour mismatch won't matter.

i actually found some "alder" wood filler yesterday, so i´m going to give it a try. at least for the smaller areas. for the neck pocket it seems like gluing wood would be the better solution, as it need to be as solid as possible.

jetset wrote: I'd nose around in the Reranch forums - http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewforu ... db3c170576  Ask your question there, and read through the posts.  There's a guy there who saves totally butchered SG's using fancy woodworking and wood filler.
Interesting stuff,
-J
thanks!