the Jaguar spa!

Bringing your older offset back to life.
leMonstre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

the Jaguar spa!

Post by leMonstre » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:37 pm

OK,this is my effing fifth attempt at getting this topic posted, my internet broke down every single time when i was in my last sentences and i had to start it all over again. let's hope my word file won't be a bitch too.
awright.

the patient was my Jaguar. It needed minor maintenance since... some time ago, but being my procastrinating self, i did my best pretending i was too busy and saying 'it's not that grave anyways'.
but it happened last saturday afternoon that me and max ('username') were bored at my house, so we decided to take action in the jag compartment.
what we wanted to do was:
1- check the age and genuineness of the individual parts (since Orang Goreng confused me a bit in my introduction thread stating obvious things that i didn't know :'D)
2- renew the holes of the turning pegs' screws, they were really worn out and the screws didn't really have a grip anymore
3- align the tremoloplate on the body, it was off by a few millimeters.. a few annoying millimeters.
4- umm..no that's it

#1, age and genuineness
alright, so the very first thing we did was unscrew the neck and look at the date (which is not a date, as i have learned) imprinted on it's heel.
and i said it says 14 mar 66. but my brain is stupid, i apologize, of course it doesn't. >_<

sooo does anybody know what the B stands for? please tell me :)

we also noticed a doodle-like curly mark on the side of the neck that's attached to the body.. and figuring that it might just as well mean something, here it is:
does it mean something? did some fender staff member try to send me a crypic message? all mysterious-

yeah, so much for the neck. the next thing we did was examining the body. and it's not original, the neck pocket says 'licensed by fender' though.
max suggested it might be an older warmoth body ('older' because it has some fine cracks indicating it might have been on the road for some time).

we got curious, so we checked if it has the original wiring and wooooo, surprise, it doesn't. but i don't care, i love its sound :)
the reason why i didn't know all that was that i got the guitar as a huge present from my dad who got it from an acquaintance in france, and being the acoustic guitar player he is, a guitar is just a guitar to him and he didn't ask for any facts..moving on.

#2, the infamous turning peg holes
since i live in an all women household, and me being the oldest sister and searching for invalid excuses to explain that we dont have any killer fix-your-baby-kits at home, max had the ingenious idea to just stick tooth picks into the holes with wood glue and close them with that. it was fun to do and it worked really well:

my kick-ass workbench looks alot like my bed. strange, i know

pretty toothpicky headstock

oh, how i like that picture.
we let that dry for a while, and clipped off the outstanding parts of the toothpicks. then we masked the areal around the closed holes with sellotape and filed the excess glue away. with a nail file. that i took from my moms drawer.
that's how the pro's do it, i did legit research.

next we drilled new holes and screwed on the turning pegs again.
done :3

#3, aligning the tremoloplate!
basically, we did the same as we did with the headstock, we sealed the existing holes pro-toothpicky style and found a new, better, straighter position for the trem plate.

the same procedure followed, complete with stolen nailfile and sellotape, and then we drilled new holes and screwed it all up again. (literally, for once)

basically, it was an extremely productive saturday afternoon.
a- i got things done
b- i got them done with my loved one
what else could you wish for :)
if practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, why practice?

joeybsyc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: the Jaguar spa!

Post by joeybsyc » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:21 pm

Great project...looks like you had a productive day! I believe the 16 on the neck means its likely originally from a Mustang. (a 66 Jag neck would have had binding for sure, and maybe(?) block inlays by march) The B indicates the width. B was standard by the way, An "A" would be narrower. Basically the same neck as a Jag, without the fancier cosmetics. Looks like a nice vintage piece, with some cool checking on the back.
Check out my little collection at http://vintagefenders.weebly.com

leMonstre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leMonstre » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:25 am

joeybsyc wrote:Great project...looks like you had a productive day! I believe the 16 on the neck means its likely originally from a Mustang. (a 66 Jag neck would have had binding for sure, and maybe(?) block inlays by march) The B indicates the width. B was standard by the way, An "A" would be narrower. Basically the same neck as a Jag, without the fancier cosmetics. Looks like a nice vintage piece, with some cool checking on the back.
i see.. so they just put a different decal on it? because the neck says it's a jaguar..
and i didn't know about that A/B thing, thanks alot :) i like playing it much more since those tiny flaws have been taken care of : D

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:34 am

all he meant was that it was inteneded for a mustang and they made it into a jaguar at fender, it's still a legit jaguar.
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

joeybsyc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by joeybsyc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:23 am

No, actually i meant it was originally on a mustang, if it says Jaguar on the headstock it's likely a repro decal... Nothing wrong with that though, since the body and electronics are aftermarket anyhow... Cool parts jag!
Check out my little collection at http://vintagefenders.weebly.com

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:25 am

ah i didn't notice the all parts crud on the body, still a cool guitar
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

username
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by username » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:32 am

muhahahahaha
:-* :-* :-*
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:22 pm

Lookin' good! I like the color of the body. :)

Yep, it's definitely a Mustang/Musicmaster/Duo Sonic neck that has a repro decal. A '66 Jaguar neck would have a 15 (or possibly a 1, but the last of those were generally found in 1965) instead of a 16 before the month, and it would have binding and block inlays. Definitely still a cool vintage neck.

leMonstre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leMonstre » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:30 pm

Tweedledee wrote:Lookin' good! I like the color of the body. :)

Yep, it's definitely a Mustang/Musicmaster/Duo Sonic neck that has a repro decal. A '66 Jaguar neck would have a 15 (or possibly a 1, but the last of those were generally found in 1965) instead of a 16 before the month, and it would have binding and block inlays. Definitely still a cool vintage neck.
thank you guys so much, i feel much smarter now : D
to what range do those numbers go? and do you know what all of them mean? or does it say that somewhere?
because all the websites i researched at said that it was just a date..

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:39 pm

leMonstre wrote:
Tweedledee wrote:Lookin' good! I like the color of the body. :)

thank you guys so much, i feel much smarter now : D
to what range do those numbers go? and do you know what all of them mean? or does it say that somewhere?
because all the websites i researched at said that it was just a date..
This one is pretty accurate:

http://zeus.lunarpages.com/~jimshi2/nec ... s_1962.htm