Restoring a '65 (I think) Jazzmaster

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Lobsterdeth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Restoring a '65 (I think) Jazzmaster

Post by Lobsterdeth » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:35 pm

I got a 65 Jazzmaster (for free, go me!) but it's really beat up, so I'm looking for some info before I restore it.

See the guitar's current state here: http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4490/3009092046.jpg

As you can see, that neck is not the original neck, the finish is beat up and it's missing the tremolo arm and the little round thing where the arm goes in.

So my questions in order are:

1.- As far as I'm concerned, currently no parts dealer makes Jazzmaster necks, so I'm gonna have to have one custom made. What are the exact neck dimensions? Since this is a '65 (judging from the witch hat knobs) it's gonna be dots + white binding right?

2.- What kind of finishes where around in '65? I was thinking of Burgundy Mist but I can't recall if they had that at the time.

3.- Where can I get a replacement tremolo arm/round thingie? Or am I gonna have to buy the whole tremolo tail for those two things?

Thank you for your patience, I await your answers.
Love and hate were in the air like pollen from a flower.
--------------------------------------------------
https://shutupjam.bandcamp.com/

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Restoring a '65 (I think) Jazzmaster

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Answer for #3: You can get the bushing and spring kit and all that at GPR :http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/hardware_other.html

also, awesome screenname! Lobsterdeth! I was once in a band called Lobster Stairs. We'd have drinking contests at our shows and the winner would get a live lobster from a tank that was onstage. Retarded, I know. Crowd loved it.

Welcome to OSG!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Lobsterdeth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lobsterdeth » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:50 pm

Skiptracer1981 wrote:Answer for #3: You can get the bushing and spring kit and all that at GPR :http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/hardware_other.html

also, awesome screenname! Lobsterdeth! I was once in a band called Lobster Stairs. We'd have drinking contests at our shows and the winner would get a live lobster from a tank that was onstage. Retarded, I know. Crowd loved it.

Welcome to OSG!
Thanks, but hey man leave them lobsters alone bro, that ain't right.

Also uhm, I already checked the tremolo and it does have the spring and stuff, as you can see from the pic the only thing that's missing is the little round thing where the arm goes, I suppose that's the uh Arm Bushing?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Indeed that is the bushing. Lol on the lobster thing. That was 8 years ago, I wouldn't do such a thing nowadays. It was funny and the people who won them(we did this 3 times) either took the tank and all home and kept it as a pet (2 of them) the 3rd was eaten. :P

one more thing: you're lucky. How did you get it for free?

Lobsterdeth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lobsterdeth » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:06 pm

Skiptracer1981 wrote:one more thing: you're lucky. How did you get it for free?
Local guitar workshop I've been to for like two years everytime I needed something done to my basses. I mentioned to the owner once that I was starting guitar and always wanted a JM and he pulls this one out. (sans neck) He says it's his nephew's, he's had it there for like three years. He said if I wanted it he sells it to me, but he has to call his nephew first, this was like two months ago.
Around a week ago I go in to check on a bass I left and to see if his nephew called, and since he tried getting in touch with him with no reply during those two months he decides I can just keep it. He also loaned me that neck (lol maple on a JM) while I get a new neck done.

It sounds amazing, but I need the tremolo arm bad cause I play a lot of music that needs the vibratos and stuff.

sexy andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sexy andy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:03 am

Wow, a free vintage jazzmaster! I'm jealous! :)
Lobsterdeth wrote: 1.- As far as I'm concerned, currently no parts dealer makes Jazzmaster necks, so I'm gonna have to have one custom made. What are the exact neck dimensions? Since this is a '65 (judging from the witch hat knobs) it's gonna be dots + white binding right?

2.- What kind of finishes where around in '65? I was thinking of Burgundy Mist but I can't recall if they had that at the time.
1. Musikraft makes necks with the correct jazzmaster headstock. Early '65 jazzmasters still had the small jm headstock and pearl dot inlays without binding. Musikraft also offers the narrow 12th dot spacing Fenders had post '64.
If you want the binding you could go with GuitarMill. They offer binding but they do not have the small jm headstock.

2. Check this out. Information on which colours Fender offered and in what years they were available.

kikey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kikey » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:03 am

Real nice JM and a reasonable price ;D

You can check out Warmoth also, they make nice necks !

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:11 am

kikey wrote:Real nice JM and a reasonable price ;D

You can check out Warmoth also, they make nice necks !
Warmoth won't be vintage correct though.

I would def hit Musikraft up

Lobsterdeth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lobsterdeth » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:31 pm

sexy andy wrote:1. Musikraft makes necks with the correct jazzmaster headstock. Early '65 jazzmasters still had the small jm headstock and pearl dot inlays without binding. Musikraft also offers the narrow 12th dot spacing Fenders had post '64.
If you want the binding you could go with GuitarMill. They offer binding but they do not have the small jm headstock.

2. Check this out. Information on which colours Fender offered and in what years they were available.
I dunno, I've never seen witch hat knobs with pearl dots and no binding. Also are the necks on there like the correct size and stuff? Cause I always see strat necks trying to pass off as JM necks and to me they are very different.

sexy andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sexy andy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:11 pm

Lobsterdeth wrote: I dunno, I've never seen witch hat knobs with pearl dots and no binding. Also are the necks on there like the correct size and stuff? Cause I always see strat necks trying to pass off as JM necks and to me they are very different.
What do you mean by the correct size? If you mean the size of the headstock I think Musikraft is the only company that offers the correct JM headstock. I have never ordered from them but other members have.
Here are some pics of '65 jazzies with witch hats, pearl dots and without binding! :)

image is too big

another big one

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:21 pm

Not to be a bugbear, but the second to last one (OTM) has binding. :P

by size, do you mean shape of the neck?? (b, c, a, d, etc?)

sexy andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sexy andy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:40 pm

oops.. :freako:

don't I look silly haha

crazypaws
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazypaws » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:50 pm

go to flexguitars.com, and get you a vintage correct neck since it will be hard and very expensive to try and find the real one. these neck are nice

also, go to angela.com for the "colet" i think its called, but never the less its what you need, i had the same problem with a vintage jaguar.

heres the link

http://angela.com/jazzmasterjaguarvibra ... tacle.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

free jazzmaster hell yeah, i got a free ampeg v-22 best day ever minus all the work i had to do on it haha. but that sucks about the neck. but everything on the body looks fucking great

Lobsterdeth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lobsterdeth » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:29 pm

sexy andy wrote:What do you mean by the correct size? If you mean the size of the headstock I think Musikraft is the only company that offers the correct JM headstock. I have never ordered from them but other members have.
Here are some pics of '65 jazzies with witch hats, pearl dots and without binding! :)
Oh cool, I guess I won't need binding after all.
by size, do you mean shape of the neck?? (b, c, a, d, etc?)
Yeah, shape, nut width and radius and stuff.

Lobsterdeth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lobsterdeth » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:22 pm

Sorry for the double post.
crazypaws wrote:go to flexguitars.com, and get you a vintage correct neck since it will be hard and very expensive to try and find the real one. these neck are nice
Uhm I was just looking at the site and they only have Strat necks, do 65 strats and JMs have the same neck shape?