Fender Mustang project - Competition Orange UPDATE: STRIPPERS!

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Black Cat Bone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fender Mustang project - Competition Orange UPDATE: STRIPPERS!

Post by Black Cat Bone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:11 pm

Guys and Gals,

I realised the other day that my old project was simply never going to get done...Money, time and a renewed love of single coils mean it will not happen anytime soon.  Me needs an offset and me needs one yesterday. 

As I have a nice 1965 Mustang neck from the old project  I've decided on a mustang.  The rules are that it must not get me snarled up for months getting it done and it would even better if I can do this project  entirely through trade and/or purchase from other members of OffsetGuitars.   I am to sell and trade all the parts I have of the old project, and maybe some of my super hot guitar pedals business stock (oh you know, just some Chuck collins HP-1's and some awesome Dwarfcraft....) to fund it.

Lastly on condition of having an awesome working mustang. and depending on the finish I end up with, I'll seriously consider posting a full report on making it look like THESE:

But first I need a working mustang body, parts etc to go with the neck.  I'll consider anything really so long as it has 'mojo'  I love beat up guitars, I don't mind if it's vintage or whatever.  Preferably I'd like to get my hands on a fully loaded body but will consider parts too.  I'm open to completely stripped bodies as this will let me paint it in super-orange.  If it's vinatge, stripped, and happens to have all the bits too then yes please!

I'll be posting stuff for trade in the trades section but I have the following (see old thread for pics index.php/topic,10003.msg146135.html#msg146135):

Jp Fender Jag HH sunburst body

Tonepros Gold Tun-o Matic Bridge and Tailpeice (Metric measurements - fits jag body)

Some Hag Control Plates (Jp HH ones)

I have a Curt Cobain Model Switch plate and switch ffrom the Jp Kurt Jag model sold to me by forum member Fenderbob)

A custom cut twin humbucker Tort Scratchplate which cost loads.

3 gold knobs.

Chuck Collins HP-1's (sale or Trade at retail price)

Dwarfcraft pedals - various but need to re-stock.

Lastly I live in the UK so would prefer to do business this side of the pond since the exchange rate got screwed but happy to consider anything from anyone if it's the right thing for the job.

So Offset Members let me know if you have anything that can help me realize this dream !
Last edited by Black Cat Bone on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was then that I realised what cool really meant...and seven strings aint even in the equation..."

James
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Mustang project - Competition Orange anyone? OG' members only!

Post by James » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:00 pm

I have a 1964 or 65 Mustang body that's been refinished in white. I've no idea the original colour.

It has the brass shielding plates and foam, bridge thimbles in place and other than that the only parts with it are the strap buttons. I got it as part of a parts guitar and the rest of the parts have been sold or are currently on ebay. Here are a few shots...

I was considering putting it on ebay but have held off because a few people at shortscale.org were interested and undecided, so I haven't sorted proper pics out yet. I can take more if you like. No routes or anything nasty, just the refin which is ok but not great. Being 64/65 it's slab body so you won't get that compstang contour, but it will match your neck  8)

I'm in the UK and would take £160 shipped for it.

I have some other bits (64/65 bridge, trem and control plate, 65 knobs) for sale but I just put them on ebay this evening. link
[url=http://fendercolorchart.webatu.com/index.php][b]Fender Color Chart[/b][/url]

Black Cat Bone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Black Cat Bone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Interested for sure - is the contouring the belly-cut?  Also I'll keep an eye on the ebay stuff - if there are no bids and you were able to end the auctions what kind of £ would you want for the lot?
"It was then that I realised what cool really meant...and seven strings aint even in the equation..."

James
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by James » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:46 pm

I'm ok with ending the auctions while there are no bids.

Say the body, bridge, tremolo, control plate and knobs for £320 shipped. I imagine you're not interested in the tort guard (I have it for sale just not on ebay yet) and that you'd want vintage tuners rather than those Kluson RI ones? I think the headstock needs slightly larger tuner holes to take them anyway.
[url=http://fendercolorchart.webatu.com/index.php][b]Fender Color Chart[/b][/url]

James
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by James » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:08 pm

I just remembered that doing this sort of thing outside of the classifieds section is bad form. Sorry to the mods/admins. Have taken it to PMs.

Black Cat Bone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Black Cat Bone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:10 pm

Oops yes - apologies Admins. Please delete the last few messages but please don't delete thread ..this will turn into a full blown project thread fear not!
Last edited by Black Cat Bone on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Cat Bone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Black Cat Bone » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:37 am

Got the body and bits today from James.  had a very interesting time trying to understand the trem set up.  For two hours i wondered if the trem string holder was for a lefty because the indents were on the 'wrong' side.  Duh.  I must have unscrewed the bits and take the strings off several times before I checked a photo....

I've bolted on my neck to it and the angle was totally bending forward way too far with action a mile wide.  A quick shimming and truss rod adjustment (I say quick but that's a lie) and the thing plays super smooth how I like it.  I love it when a world of pain becomes a world of awesome guitar lovliness!  Anyhoo some piccies

Right next things next....next topic for discussion is PAINT and TO TUMMY TUCK OR NOT....

fenderjapan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fenderjapan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Cool project 8)

Sorry but your cat has a nice hitler mustasch ;D
Black Cat Bone wrote: Image

Black Cat Bone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Black Cat Bone » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:01 pm

fenderjapan wrote: Cool project 8)

Sorry but your cat has a nice hitler mustasch
[Quick threadrot]Image[/Quick Threadrot]

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:55 am

Black Cat Bone wrote: [Quick threadrot]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... lercat.jpg[/Quick Threadrot]
More kitlers: http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com ;D
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Mustang project - Competition Orange UPDATE: BODY ARRIVED. PICS!

Post by garyptaszek » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:32 pm

nice cat... and mustang...
what pups you getting for it?
Ive got a set of brand new Lindy Fralin Hot Mustang pups goin  ;D
Custodian of the Buickmaster

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:31 am

p.s. Your cat looks soo stoked with your stang!
Custodian of the Buickmaster

Black Cat Bone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Black Cat Bone » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:44 am

Yes James he is stoked - but now he gets down to the serious bizzness.

Pringle Cat says SO BCB when the **** are you going to strip this guitar??

Using THIS (and freakishly brutish powah):

Hubble bubble toil and trouble....  the white stuff on there is about a half inch thick and bit rubbery too....had to scrape with a flat knife to get oodles of it off.

Look at what I found?!  Quick photo taken in case is comes off in the process.  Someone told me that '8' is the model number for a mustang.

90% there after a couple of hours.  Ran out of stripper and there is some clear under coat left which I think I should remove totally.  Will need to clean up the cavities and then get to fine-sanding it to a smooth finish before any painting etc.

There a few dings that will need a bit of filling but nothing drastic.  The most interesting thing is that the body has had five pickguard holes filled and redrilled.  Also in the back there are two perfectly doweled round holes right on the mid-line at each end of the body - was this some thing to do with the build process I wonder?  Doesn't look like a repair job as such.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Mustang project - Competition Orange UPDATE: STRIPPERS!

Post by Fiddy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:52 am

Oh man, stripping sucks! Your almost there tho!

That will/should turn out great. The world needs more orange comp. Mustangs.

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:08 am

Black Cat Bone wrote: There a few dings that will need a bit of filling but nothing drastic.  The most interesting thing is that the body has had five pickguard holes filled and redrilled.  Also in the back there are two perfectly doweled round holes right on the mid-line at each end of the body - was this some thing to do with the build process I wonder?  Doesn't look like a repair job as such.
Yes, those are the pin router marks. Vintage Fender bodies have them.

Good work you have done there, but I am surprised you didn't remove the shielding plates and the bridge thimbles before stripping the paint... It seems to me that it would have made your life a bit easier..?