62 J.M. pic's

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Old Crow
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

62 J.M. pic's

Post by Old Crow » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:30 pm

Here's a pic. I've stripped off most of the thick white paint and revealed traces of the orig. Dakota Red finish.
The routes were already deepened so I decided to try a H.B., old T-top and a Sheptone Strat p.u., with amazing results.
I like the sound so much I think I'll leave it this way, but would like to find some p.u. covers, J.M. style and a tort gaurd.
What do you guys think.?

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313 ... ter001.jpg

painted wood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 62 J.M. pic's

Post by painted wood » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:13 pm

wow, that's a beauty...

I would personally disassemble it, and strip the rest of the white paint off with citristrip and a plastic spatula...

I like the raw look of the pickups...I used to own a '79 SG with T-top humbuckers, and I know they sound awesome...good call on the t-top.

If you like the neck pickup, that's cool...it's all about the sound IMO.  A Duncan antiquity II would also be cool in the neck position coupled with the t-top in the bridge, or even a vintage one.

I bet that one of the reasons that the guitar sounds so good is because the finish is stripped off, and the raw woody tone really comes through.  I too, have a stripped raw wood JM that sounds better than any one I've ever played...

nice scenery too.  8) :-*  Show that JM some  :-* for me.  :D :?

Old Crow
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Old Crow » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:34 pm

I may take your advice. I've been watching for an old J.M. p.u. to try in the front pos.
What about the gaurd. Should I go tort. or mint ?
I plan on leaving it w.o. any finish. Just what you see or perhaps carefully remove more of the white.

painted wood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by painted wood » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:10 pm

Old Crow wrote: Here's a pic. I've stripped off most of the thick white paint and revealed traces of the orig. Dakota Red finish.
I like the sound so much I think I'll leave it this way, but would like to find some p.u. covers, J.M. style and a tort gaurd.
What do you guys think.?
sorry, I read right over the fact that some of the original Dakota Red is still present...don't use citristrip and a spatula if you want to save any of the finish.  That would just be for a complete strip. :-[

If you like it the way it is, then leave it.  Later on if you decide that you want to remove the white, the only idea that comes to mind is naptha on a rag and rubbing off the white.  Naptha doesn't really cut through the nitro finish very much, if at all, so it would be gentler...not really sure if it would even remove the white, but from my experience, if I remember correctly, it does slightly cut through lacquer.  Lacquer thinner on a rag will cut through the paint pretty quickly, so if you go that route, don't saturate your rag, only lightly dampen the rag so it doesn't cut through the white too quickly and you'd have to use a little more pressure when rubbing.  Perhaps others will know of a better/safer way...

I think the red that's on there gives it character.  Are you sure it is the original finish?  I was kinda expecting fullerplast yellow then white, then red...hard to see in the pics,  8)

The vintage JM pickup in the neck will be cool...also kinda cool looking as is now, but the JM pickup would give it a little more JM identity and the t-top would provide you with your dirty lead tone.

Tort or mint is really a personal preference.  I like both and it depends on the combo...so, with a raw body and the fact that you seem to like a black guard, I think an anodized black pickguard with the rhythm circuit would look killer.  Second would be vintage tort, then gold ano. or mint.  I actually use my rhythm circuit quite often.

You can't go wrong with any of those choices, I would be tempted to buy them all and switch it up whenever I felt. :ph34r: :D

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:47 pm

beastly! thats the first JM with a humbucker I've ever seen and liked!
Looks mean as hell!
Custodian of the Buickmaster