The time has come... (Poll)

Bringing your older offset back to life.

What Color?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:00 pm

Paint it Black
39%
Paint it something else
61%

Total votes: 49

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The time has come... (Poll)

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:53 am

CFM could look nice. I think with some colors it would really depend on how flat the faces of the front and back are and how the contours look.

Another red could be cool too. My Custom Shop Nocaster is fiesta with a black guard and I like that color a lot. It changes significantly depending on the light.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:26 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:53 am
CFM could look nice. I think with some colors it would really depend on how flat the faces of the front and back are and how the contours look.

Another red could be cool too. My Custom Shop Nocaster is fiesta with a black guard and I like that color a lot. It changes significantly depending on the light.
That’s a good point re: contours. I love Dakota but I’d prefer it on a Strat with a mint guard and rosewood board. A 1960/61 Strat like that is probably the guitar I’d buy if I “won the lottery” or some bs. Haha.

I’ll probably stick with a metallic if I don’t go with black. There’s a metallic-like quality to the old pickguard. There’s parts where the black anodizing is fading and looks almost like metallic purple in the right lighting. I love the idea of a purple guitar but I don’t think it looks particularly good on me.

One other option I’ve considered is something totally custom. I really like the ‘oxblood’ finish on my other JM, a TVL JM body. Something like that in nitro could be cool or a metallic root beer. Aged and faded of course. I’ve tried different golds in the past. I like them on other people but not on me.

I’m so bad at deciding on guitar colors. I get overwhelmed. Most guitars just fall in my lap. I never go, ‘I’m going to buy a guitar in the finish’.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:48 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:26 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:53 am

That’s a good point re: contours. I love Dakota but I’d prefer it on a Strat with a mint guard and rosewood board. A 1960/61 Strat like that is probably the guitar I’d buy if I “won the lottery” or some bs. Haha.

I’ll probably stick with a metallic if I don’t go with black. There’s a metallic-like quality to the old pickguard. There’s parts where the black anodizing is fading and looks almost like metallic purple in the right lighting. I love the idea of a purple guitar but I don’t think it looks particularly good on me.

One other option I’ve considered is something totally custom. I really like the ‘oxblood’ finish on my other JM, a TVL JM body. Something like that in nitro could be cool or a metallic root beer. Aged and faded of course. I’ve tried different golds in the past. I like them on other people but not on me.

I’m so bad at deciding on guitar colors. I get overwhelmed. Most guitars just fall in my lap. I never go, ‘I’m going to buy a guitar in the finish’.
A CFM that leans on the bluer end of CFM could really work with that.

Or just go the other way and a nice bright Olympic White, like one of mine.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:23 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:48 am

A CFM that leans on the bluer end of CFM could really work with that.
That’s a good idea. I like the bluer shades of CFM and it slipped my mind so thank you.

I’m not going to do Olympic white. It just does nothing for me.

I’m really into the idea of something totally different/custom. Off to google…

Oh and I think SMB is off the table now. My 66 duosonic has a SMB like refin and I’m not into how the black guard looks on it. That’s another guitar I want to refin as it’s very sloppy but I let Liz Phair use it live many times so I could never do it. It’ll stay sloppy (looks ok in photos tho)

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:28 pm

Oh and I want to say that if black loses, I’ll probably respect that. Maybe I’ll give the poll another week. Let’s say voting ends on my birthday! This coming Friday, January 19. I’ll be fiddy!! :wtf: :bored: :wacko: :derp: :unsure:

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:38 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:46 am
I think this prototype idea is the best. Looks really cool

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:34 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:28 pm
Oh and I want to say that if black loses, I’ll probably respect that. Maybe I’ll give the poll another week. Let’s say voting ends on my birthday! This coming Friday, January 19. I’ll be fiddy!! :wtf: :bored: :wacko: :derp: :unsure:
Yo? W00t, me?

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:45 pm

Fiddy wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:34 pm
OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:28 pm
Yo? W00t, me?
50 y/o

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:49 pm

Of course, I know :D :D :D

tqi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

-

Post by tqi » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:14 pm

-
Last edited by tqi on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:03 pm

sparkles are a little too much for me :unsure:

updated the OP with a few pics

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:31 pm

Oh and I have someone in mind for the refin. It’s a friend of mine. I haven’t asked him yet so I’m not going to say who. He’s not anyone you’d know anyway but he’s in the LA area. He doesn’t do vintage refins but he does hundreds of vintage/relic’d finishes. His work is 100 times better than the current Fender CS stuff IMO. The only thing is that I need to do all the prep work myself.

I haven’t seen the show yet but I guess he did all the guitars for that Daisy Jones and the Six show.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:20 pm

I voted black since it would look so cool with the OG black guard. You could do black or white covers and it would go. And… it would look appropriate-ish for the era.

The original color is really cool. You’d lose the history of the wear by refinishing it, but i can understand wanting a proper refin and doing something that’s you.

I love the prototype look but that shade of desert sand, like blonde is soooo hard to get right if you’re picky.

Charcoal frost is also an option. I just picked up an unknown strat body someone refin’d in CFM and it looks great! Not sure if I’d like CFM with a black guard though.

Some other custom ideas to throw in mix: bronzed out BMM, champagne (kinda shoreline inspired), the right shade of danelectro copper could be cool, or black metallic. But at the end of the day you can’t go wrong with black!
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:30 pm

Black guard and OTM would look good too IMO.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:58 pm

Ursa Minor wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:20 pm

The original color is really cool. You’d lose the history of the wear by refinishing it, but i can understand wanting a proper refin and doing something that’s you.
TBH, there's not much history to the color for me. It was just another poor JM that was parted out on eBay by this seller we all loathed (i forget the name). I think the refin was probably done in the 70s or early 80s. In hindsight, I wish i bought the neck too but $900 was a lot of money for me in 2007. Anyway, I put some of my own wear on it over the years but up close the guitar is just so ugly. But it's ugliness is what made me play it. Every time I've restored a JM or Jag I sell it cuz I'm afraid to scratch it up haha. But this guitar is mine and I have a bond with it. I just want it to look better because I don't identify with the ugliness of it anymore. I want it to be nicer... still rugged but nicer.