'78 Jazzmaster

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Carbohydrates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

'78 Jazzmaster

Post by Carbohydrates » Thu May 15, 2008 6:49 pm

So I was at Guitar Center a few days ago looking for a first guitar for a friend of mine. After picking up a couple likely Epiphones, we headed into the sound room (where they keep the vintage/vintage reissue/"display case" guitars at this one) to plug 'em in. On the right wall was this baby.

I asked the GC rep at the counter some questions. He says the original owner clearcoated over the original finish. Ouch. Still, it FEELS great, it SOUNDS great, and I don't intend to stick it on a wall or in a display case, so who cares if its collector value just plummeted?

The GC guy also tells me the thumbwheels don't work and the tuners aren't original.

Okay, didn't take long to figure out that the thumbwheels work fine (guy had no idea how the circuit on a Jazzmaster works) and the tuners are, in fact, original, but the strap buttons aren't. I conveniently fail to mention this to him and walk out with my new '78 Jazz for $1800.

Kind of an odd one, I guess, being a '78 with block inlays and a bound fretboard- I heard they stopped doing that in '77. Maybe it is a '77? Who knows.

Okay, so I went to pull the bridge out to swap the saddles and it didn't come out. Original owner filled the thimbles with rubber tubing. Luckily, it was no match for the careful application of a claw hammer and a wood block.

I also popped on a spare volume knob I had. Since I didn't want to mess with the original pot, I cut a piece of wood to fit inside the knob to hold it against the remaining half of the shaft. It worked, but the knob doesn't match. Ah well, one more thing to buy.

Wow, the finish is still glossy under the pickguard! Much more vibrant, too, especially at the edges where the red shows through.

Electronics look original to me, though I admittedly don't know my way around Jazz/Jag electronics very well.

I bought a shiny new Allparts Mustang bridge and popped the saddles off to stick 'em on the plate from the original bridge. As soon as I screwed the first one on, the spring launched the saddle against the bridge wall with a clack. I pulled it off to see that the screw had stripped the saddle. Total piece of shit. I went to the hardware store and got a half dozen tiny nuts to hold the saddles in place. Then I went to drop the bridge back in and... the set screws in the posts were stripped and unadjustable. Mr. Previous Owner had used the rubber to float the bridge where he wanted it- he missed, by the way, the action was way high.

I didn't want to use the crappy Mustang bridge I had or these awful chrome-plated brass saddles anymore, so I headed to the local vintage guitar shop to grab a nice steel set since eBay looked a little... expensive. Got a nice old one for $50, but it was missing some screws and springs. After taking apart the original bridge and the POS Mustang bridge, I pieced together this.

It works! I can adjust the height and everything! I'll deal with the intonation once these strings are stretched. So now all that's left are the '78 strap buttons and the whammy bar, which are being shipped as I type, and a knob, which honestly isn't a top priority right now.

In conclusion, this guitar is AMAZING, I love it to death, and it's been totally worth dealing with the bridge crap. It nails the tone I love so much perfectly- a distorted, chimey surf tone ala Man or Astro-Man?, a great 90's sci-surf rock band that's a big influence for me. I couldn't be happier with this massive, heavy, ancient piece of wood. Also, Tonepros Mustang bridges can screw off.

Leftovers!

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: '78 Jazzmaster

Post by glimmertwin » Thu May 15, 2008 7:46 pm

Nice score - I would say you lucked out there with the way vintage JM prices have been recently - especially from a retail shop.

Last $1800 JM I saw in a store was a 63 refin/refret with non original pickups(Sd Antiquities), a repro tort guard, and one replaced tuner.
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

Offshat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Offshat » Thu May 15, 2008 7:56 pm

elecs look legit to me  8)

Sir Frog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sir Frog » Thu May 15, 2008 8:53 pm

Truly impressive Carb!

I am shocked you got away with a vintage for that price from GC. I would have taken that
over an AVRI/thin-skin.. just for sheer authenticity.

Glad you got the bridge issue worked out. How does she play?
Sir Frog is/was formerly known as 'RouletteDares'

Carbohydrates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Carbohydrates » Thu May 15, 2008 9:28 pm

RouletteDares wrote: Truly impressive Carb!

I am shocked you got away with a vintage for that price from GC. I would have taken that
over an AVRI/thin-skin.. just for sheer authenticity.

Glad you got the bridge issue worked out. How does she play?
Now that I've spent the night coaxing the action down, intonating her, and all that fun stuff, she plays beautifully. I did find I can knock the high E string off the saddle if I'm playing high enough on the fretboard and upstroke it too hard, but I can work around that. That's a pretty minor contention.

And yeah, either I got a good deal or reissues are way overpriced. :)

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Thu May 15, 2008 9:37 pm

Looks like a great guitar.  The probable reason your original intonation screws wouldn't work with the Allparts saddles, is the threads on the saddles are likely metric.

That thing needs the correct witch hat knobs, I'm tellin' ya!  ;)

Like these knobs:

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Carbohydrates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Carbohydrates » Thu May 15, 2008 9:45 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: Looks like a great guitar.  The probable reason your original intonation screws wouldn't work with the Allparts saddles, is the threads on the saddles are likely metric.
I used the screws, springs, and saddles from the Allparts on the original bridge plate. They were just of disappointing quality. I dunno, maybe I just got a bad batch or something, but these old steel ones I got are much nicer.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu May 15, 2008 11:35 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: Looks like a great guitar.  The probable reason your original intonation screws wouldn't work with the Allparts saddles, is the threads on the saddles are likely metric.

That thing needs the correct witch hat knobs, I'm tellin' ya!  ;)

Like these knobs:

you just won't get over these witch hats, northern_dirt, erh?  ;)

(edit:)

oh fuck, it's you, nolan! sorry. this avatar swapping's too confusing.

::)
Nobody exists on purpose.

Libtoem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Libtoem » Thu May 15, 2008 11:53 pm

Your 78 jazzmaster is awesome,I especially love the neck.Great find you got there.

eupat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eupat » Fri May 16, 2008 1:31 am

really nice
i love those 70s black pickguard'ed JM
I'd go for the witch hats too...
si t'as mal aux cervicales, arrête le métal!

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri May 16, 2008 1:53 am

FUZZ_KING wrote: you just won't get over these witch hats, northern_dirt, erh?  ;)

(edit:)

oh fuck, it's you, nolan! sorry. this avatar swapping's too confusing.

::)
Muahahahahahaha!!  ;D

I'm trying to make a sale for Doug.  ;)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri May 16, 2008 2:23 am

Aged witch hats are absolutely awesome!

Dirk

Christophe

Michael
Nobody exists on purpose.

Kawentzmann
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kawentzmann » Fri May 16, 2008 2:31 am

Carbohydrates wrote:
In conclusion, this guitar is AMAZING, I love it to death, and it's been totally worth dealing with the bridge crap. It nails the tone I love so much perfectly- a distorted, chimey surf tone ala Man or Astro-Man?, a great 90's sci-surf rock band that's a big influence for me. I couldn't be happier with this massive, heavy, ancient piece of wood. Also, Tonepros Mustang bridges can screw off.

So you have a JM that sounds like a Mosrite or Gretsch. That’s cool, interesting - a good way to pay homage aurally without copying the look of their guitars. Is it a heavy 70s ash body? Usually they’re not as favored, but you found their purpose!!
1965 dots and binding fiesta red matching headstock Jaguar

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Fri May 16, 2008 5:41 am

Dude, you just found my dream Jazzmaster!!!  My mouth is still hanging open!  :o
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Fri May 16, 2008 6:36 am

My 78 JM serial is S800433 Mind if I ask what yours is? I bet it's not too far away from that.