drop-in tuners for coronado xii neck/early f tuner replacement

Bringing your older offset back to life.
postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

drop-in tuners for coronado xii neck/early f tuner replacement

Post by postchrist » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:05 pm

so i have a 67 coronado xii neck in need of tuning machines, really hoping to find drop in replacements without spending $300-400 on a set of vintage ones. the tricky part is that the neck is drilled for the straight-shaft f tuners without the sleeve, and all the modern replacements i can find would require widening the back of the peg-holes. on top of that, i think all the modern replacements also use the right hand oriented mounting plates, meaning way more drilling/modifying than i’m comfortable with.

if all else fails, i wouldn’t feel completely awful drilling mounting holes for a standard set of klusons, but obviously would really rather not modify the neck at all. anyone run into this issue before?
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: drop-in tuners for coronado xii neck/early f tuner replacement

Post by will » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:29 pm

You can use the newer F tuners - you just need to disassemble them and saw/grind/file away that raised "collar."

Also, the covers for the newer ones are slightly bigger than the earlier "F" tuner covers, so the edges need to get filed a little bit - I'll see if I can find a post where I wrote about using them on a Coronado neck.

(Edit - I just checked - those photos were lost in the Photobucket apocalypse.)

dr_hernandez
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dr_hernandez » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:00 am

What I did with my Coronado XII was to use 2 of the Hipshot vintage guitar tuner upgrade kits (righty and lefty). It uses vintage holes and a mounting plate, so no drilling is required. Tuning and restringing is so much better now.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:06 am

will wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:29 pm
You can use the newer F tuners - you just need to disassemble them and saw/grind/file away that raised "collar."

Also, the covers for the newer ones are slightly bigger than the earlier "F" tuner covers, so the edges need to get filed a little bit - I'll see if I can find a post where I wrote about using them on a Coronado neck.

(Edit - I just checked - those photos were lost in the Photobucket apocalypse.)
I filed mine down; worth it not to affect the wood IMO. Using them on a Bronco neck the covers fit without needing to be filed, but I know there were at least two or three slight variances to the original F tuners, between Strats/Telecasters/Student models.

King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!