Competition Blue Question.

Bringing your older offset back to life.
AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Competition Blue Question.

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:23 pm

I've seen where some people claim it is Lake Placid Blue and other claim it to be a different color entirely. I am aware that on Fender's color charts, they were labeled as two different colors. There also seems to be different variations of it, example being the purple burst mustangs.

If that is the case, has anyone figured out exactly what color blue it really is?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Competition Blue Question.

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:55 pm

As far as I know the vintage ones were Lake Placid Blue Metallic.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:35 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:55 pm
As far as I know the vintage ones were Lake Placid Blue Metallic.
Right on, thank you.

I am in the middle of a project and I am trying to nail that color. There is just a lot of confusion surrounding it.

cjs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cjs » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:39 pm

it's not lake placid blue. it's slightly darker than lake placid blue. it's own color!

did you look at this color chart from 1970? to ad to the confusion, they must've mislabeled "competition blue" as "competition burgundy" LOL :fp: but pretend it's not mislabeled.

http://www.fendermustangstory.com/gphotos/f70color.jpg

and here is a better scan with better color representation https://www.vintageguitar.com/wp-conten ... ORS_06.jpg

my guess is the process they used for doing the stripes created a unique color. because they weren't making that orange colored mustangs without the stripes. ya know?

kinda neat and i wonder if someone knows the history behind that.

but i'd follow the color on that second scan!

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:58 pm

cjs wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:39 pm
it's not lake placid blue. it's slightly darker than lake placid blue. it's own color!

did you look at this color chart from 1970? to ad to the confusion, they must've mislabeled "competition blue" as "competition burgundy" LOL :fp: but pretend it's not mislabeled.

http://www.fendermustangstory.com/gphotos/f70color.jpg

and here is a better scan with better color representation https://www.vintageguitar.com/wp-conten ... ORS_06.jpg

my guess is the process they used for doing the stripes created a unique color. because they weren't making that orange colored mustangs without the stripes. ya know?

kinda neat and i wonder if someone knows the history behind that.

but i'd follow the color on that second scan!
Yeah, I saw that chart too! I've come to the conclusion that Fender isn't very good at keeping records. For example, I was doing some research on the Jagstang recently and Fender claims that the humbucker in the Jagstang was the DiMarzio H3 (which is the pickup they put in the production model). I later found out from Earnie Bailey that it was actually the DiMarzio H8.

You might be on to something there.

I know that some of the early ones got a bit of a purple burst to them, which is created with transparent red. I often wondered if maybe it wasn't lake placid blue metallic as a basecoat with a bit of transparent blue over it. But then again. I would expect that to come out more candy than anything.

FenderBob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FenderBob » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:12 am

Most competition mustangs appear to be regular ole Lake Placid Blue.

Early on fender did spray a purple perimeter on them OVER the base lake Placid Blue coat and this purple color is where the word "Burgundy" comes in and the word creates long lasting confusion.

Fender was inconsistent with when and how long they used the purple.

Wish they would stuck with the purple burst, it is visually stunning.