Incoming 1963 Jag Restoration Recommendations needed

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Incoming 1963 Jag Restoration Recommendations needed

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:07 am

Hello Everyone, I am super excited to say I will shortly no longer be offsetless. Please settle in for a long and boring story followed by much needed advice...

So the plan started about 4 years ago. I had a '77 blackguard JM, a Thin Skin Shell pink JM, a '71 comp mustang, and a 1964 Sunburst Jag. All of the guitars were great but despite all the guitars I am a minimalist at heart. I decided it would be better to sell these guitars so I could get the one guitar I always wanted but didn't yet have, a vintage (pre B&B) Jaguar with original pickups, neck, and body that I would be able to refinished in my favorite Fender custom color Foam Green. I know what you're thinking you had a vintage jag does the color matter that much? Well yeah I know but it's my dream guitar so please no judgment, or at least judge quietly.

Selling the guitars came easy and I had the funds to purchase my dream jag however finding the right Jag proved difficult. The closest I came was buying a '66 D&B jag at my local shop but although the price was good (a steal really, $1,000 cheaper than most re-fins) it still had it's original finish and I did't have the heart to remove it just to fit my needs. Then life happened as it tends to do. I met the love of my life and after 2 years we now have the joy of our lives a little baby boy. He is currently on the verge of his first birthday next month.

As things go the guitar funds went down as life went up. I was still picking up a guitar here and there and selling them as I always do but buying a vintage Jag would require a more costly investment than the guitars I was picking up ( I was staying in the $1,000 or less zone..mostly less). Then 2 things happened. I managed to pick up a really amazing Galanti in super rare original sparkle gold finish that I flipped for a decent profit and a Friend of mine returned a CIJ Mustang I had left at his house for years (for his kids to play) as he was moving out of town and would't have the space for it. I sold the mustang and wouldn't you know it I had my Jaguar funds again.

I never stopped searching over the past 4 years, keeping an eye on the market seeing vintage jags price slightly rise and then actually come back down (despite JM just going up... good thing I'm ride or die for short scales!). I even pulled some cash out and went to the Philly guitar show a few weeks back hoping to find the right one, but no luck.

But then I saw an interesting price decrease on a reverb add that I was watching. The price was close to what I was willing to pay and after several questions and back and forth with the seller (who was super nice and helpful) we agreed on a price that I think was more than fair and I am now patiently awaiting it's arrival.

Here it is:
https://reverb.com/item/15697275-fender ... d-staytrem

Ok so now onto the restoration recommendations:

1. Who does good re-fin work on vintage Fenders. I want the Dupont Duco 2253 slightly aged (or yellowed clear)

I'm not sure if I want a slight relic or not. Generally I really don't like reliced guitars. That being said I like what Danocaster does (but he needs the guitar pre-stripped which I don't have the time or space to do this) and if I went relic I think I would do something like Fender's custom shop closet classic or even less (not chips and dents maybe slight checking and aging of paint). I have used Marty bell in the past but always on guitars not with colors vintage correct. So my first thought was Marty but thought I'd inquire about others.

2. Does Fenderparts do jag guards? I have sent a few messages on ebay but have not had a response but it has been a holiday weekend. I guess the next best thing (or possibly better) would be Spitfire. I want a slightly aged correct bevel, correct black line thickness Mint guard. Any suggestions or thoughts?

3. I lucked out on the staytrem bridge. But I also want to get a staytrem vibrato arm and collet...Anyone know where I can get one?

zepset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming 1963 Jag Restoration Recommendations needed

Post by zepset » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:12 am

I would consider a non-metallic color like Fiesta Red or Dakota Red. Then you would need to change the pickguard.

Another option that could work would be blonde. Even though your guitar doesn't have an ash body like an original blonde would, the way Fender fnishes them it can be tough to tell what's under the blonde. Then you could keep the pickguard.

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:57 am

I appreciate the suggestion but I really only want one color and it's Foam Green I understand that the color does not support the tort guard but seeing as how there are already not original parts to this guitar changing the tort out for a mint isn't really hurting my feelings. Plus I do like how Tort looks on seafoam if I want to switch things up.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:59 am

Congratulations, this is gonna look cool!

Anyone got any good pics of a sixties jag with that as the original finish? Would love to see one...

Personally I'd go for a slight relic...little forearm wear and some crazing? Having done some nitro finishes before though, any kind of chips and that will happen naturally if you use it. Kind of impossible to avoid really.
Last edited by mgeek on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks. I just stumbled across Riggio and sent a message. I think a super light relic would do the trick on this jag:

https://serviceguitarrepair.com/

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:08 pm

yeah that looks cool, I think I know what you're after...so it doesn't look 'impossible' for it to be 55 years old, but not abused

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:26 am

Exactly. I don't want something beat up but I don't want it to look like it doesn't match the rest of the guitar parts either.

Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paul-T » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:57 am

when you're looking, prioritise people who can get the smoother check lines that seem to have an overall direction, not the spider web one - folks who know that less is more. If you look at the checking on the blonde Strat, it's not very realistic .

Someone who is very good is Carson Hess. Definitely worth checking out.

http://www.hesspd.com/

This checking looks forced to me:

this looks as near as dammit to the real thing

"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'

zepset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zepset » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:12 pm

Foam green & tort guard would work for me.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:31 pm

Congrats on finally getting your dream project going. And a '63 no less. I've had a few Jags and played a bunch more and my '63 is by far best of the bunch. Great year for pickups, neck shape and not too heavy.

I had Dano do a JM years ago. Actually sold it right after it came back to fund my Jag. It was ok but too relic-y for me. It left me kinda underwhelmed to be honest. He does do great work and is very nice to work with but I wasn't ready for it when it returned and I just lost interest in an otherwise amazing guitar. Had I chosen no relic or maybe an extremely light age-ing it may have been different. Just my 2p.

Is the headstock original Oly paint, I can't quite tell. I'm assuming no since you're going to want to match the foam body.

Oh, and definitely mint or parchment. Don't cheap out on the guard. I'm all about that bevel. Although I'm not up on who does a good rendition these days.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

zepset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zepset » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:14 pm

Paul-T wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:57 am
when you're looking, prioritise people who can get the smoother check lines that seem to have an overall direction, not the spider web one - folks who know that less is more. If you look at the checking on the blonde Strat, it's not very realistic .
Good point. The checking is a signature of an original custom color finish. Maybe it's better that it's so hard to replicate correctly?

kracdown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kracdown » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:00 pm

MJT does a good refinish. Just be very specific about the aging. I believe a lot of their pre made bodies are way over done. I have a '65 L Series I just got in that I am having Danocaster do a sonic blue refin on once he's settled into his new shop.

MJT did this vintage JM for me. the tele is danocaster and the Les Paul is Historic Makeovers, for comparison.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:50 pm

Man, I would totally do that tort on seafoam! But since you’re not gonna go for it, make sure you screw that old guard down to a piece of 1/2” plywood the second you take it off! Every screw, no cheating.

Then send it to me.

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:12 am

Well I just got the guitar and it's amazing. Seeing it in person I'm not sure it needs any relicing at all. I'm not so much into relicing anyway .

clef051
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by clef051 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:47 pm

kracdown wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:00 pm
MJT does a good refinish. Just be very specific about the aging. I believe a lot of their pre made bodies are way over done. I have a '65 L Series I just got in that I am having Danocaster do a sonic blue refin on once he's settled into his new shop.

MJT did this vintage JM for me. the tele is danocaster and the Les Paul is Historic Makeovers, for comparison.

Nice looking set there!

I have a mjt telethat I love, but they do age fast. The finish is super thin. I went with the lowest level of aging they have and it shows a lot already from me playing it(had it about a year). I like that it is aging fast but just thought I would mention it incase op doesn't want that.