CAR finish; sanding down to get a brighter red

Bringing your older offset back to life.
otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

CAR finish; sanding down to get a brighter red

Post by otis » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:53 am

Hi
I realise this is kind of a strange question: I've got my Jazzmaster refinished in CAR.
While the refin itself is beautifully done there are (to me) two drawbacks.
The color is darker than the Candy apple red examples from the AV telecaster and AV Jaguar I own.
This CAR was really what I had in mind with my Jazzmaster. The second thing that I'd want to solve is getting rid of some weight.
Cause CAR requires a lot of coats, the weight increased by some 200 grammes, and be it in my head or not, I think I notice a difference in (acoustic!) sound.
So here's the question: do you think it'll be possible to sand some of the layers off (using which grid/ I bought 400/ 1200/ 2000) and get down to the layers of the clear in which the red is mixed. The case would be to go really gentle from there and go for an even (but lighter) shade of red where the reflection of the silver underlayer is less obscured.
And than finally, how would the end result be (once polished) without the extra clearcoats (there's clear in the red coats anyway/ will this be sufficient/ once buffed).
Before starting to sand, I'd want to ask some advice, or someone to tell meto hold back cause this is madness (I personally think it MIGHT work).
thanks/ cheers
Tom

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: CAR finish; sanding down to get a brighter red

Post by MattK » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:40 am

I would estimate the chance of getting an even shade across all the curves of the body as roughly zero. The thickness of the clear red would be roughly 0.05 - 0.1mm - so you would need to reduce the thickness by (say) 0.01 - 0.02mm, evenly, after sanding through the clearcoats.
Either refinish it or live with it! You will ruin the finish if you try to thin it.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:28 am

No.

Awful.

Don't.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:09 am

if you want something more redish and brighter ask for a another refinish
candy apple is
clear
red+ clear ,many coat
silver or gold base

if you want to sand it, you need to to go under the clear and attack the red+clear ,then after need clear coating on

for me is only risky ,time consuming but alsoit is good way to ruin totally a finish

just my 2 cents ;)

candy red is multiple layer of paint if you want something really light ask for solid pain like fiesta red or white or black ect.... with no clear coat ,metallic need clear coat ,solid paint don't but they were more faster without

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:52 am

If 200 grams of paint are bothering you and the colour is wrong, you are not the type of person who should be attempting any kind of DIY finish work. You will not be pleased with the results.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:01 am

Thanks for your reactions; it's more or less what I expected.
I think I might go for a try anyway, and if it fails, I'll go for another refin.
Or I might learn to live with this CAR anyway.
After all, it's only a color on one of my guitars, right? :fp: :ph34r:
If there is someone who believes it might work and has a trick or two, please shime in...
mbene085 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:52 am
If 200 grams of paint are bothering you and the colour is wrong, you are not the type of person who should be attempting any kind of DIY finish work. You will not be pleased with the results.
I didn't say I would do the refin myself; I don't feel I'm qualified for spraying guitars; never did one.
Like I said, it's not that this CAR refin isn't a good refin, it's just a lot darker than my other CAR Fenders.
And if at all not impossible, I'd be inclined to give it a try.
But I guess you're right, perhaps it isn't worth risking to mess up this finish; I really don't know...

Lock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:20 pm

I personally love a dark, aged looking CAR.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:37 pm

I didn't say I would do the refin myself; I don't feel I'm qualified for spraying guitars; never did one.
Like I said, it's not that this CAR refin isn't a good refin, it's just a lot darker than my other CAR Fenders.
But I guess you're right, perhaps it isn't worth risking to mess up this finish; I really don't know...
That's why I said "finish work" and not "refinishing"...trying to thin the existing finish will A) not look the way you expect, B) not look good at all, and C) not lighten the finish, which is your only goal it seems.

There is a big difference between the silver-basecoat CARs and the gold-basecoat CARS, and between "new" and "aged" CAR. The end result is lots of shades that are acceptable as CAR, it just sounds like this one is not as much to your taste. Others have explained why trying to sand it down is not going to do what you hope it would. You'll just end up with what looks like a really rough attempt at a relic or home finishing job if you try to do this.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:24 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:37 pm
That's why I said "finish work" and not "refinishing"...trying to thin the existing finish will A) not look the way you expect, B) not look good at all, and C) not lighten the finish, which is your only goal it seems.

There is a big difference between the silver-basecoat CARs and the gold-basecoat CARS, and between "new" and "aged" CAR. The end result is lots of shades that are acceptable as CAR, it just sounds like this one is not as much to your taste. Others have explained why trying to sand it down is not going to do what you hope it would. You'll just end up with what looks like a really rough attempt at a relic or home finishing job if you try to do this.
You're right.
Thanks again for the advice.
I'm going to leave it as it is and enjoy it. ;D

zepset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zepset » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:54 am

Candy Apple has a lot of variations, including some darker burgundy shades. It all depends on the undercoat color, and then whether it has a clearcoat on top, and how much that has aged. It would be helpful to see a photo.