I might actually be able to use the term "Too Rare" for this thing...

Bringing your older offset back to life.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I might actually be able to use the term "Too Rare" for this thing...

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:48 am

Dunno if any of you reading remember the Vox neck I was selling a while ago. A beautiful NOS inlayed 6-string Vox neck to fit the Ultrasonic, Cheetah or Starstream models. The guitars overall were always questionable when it came to innovation (Palm Wah...what?) & quality but the necks were second to none, particularly the unique truss rod system they used & the floral inlaying on the headstock.

Anyway, blah-dee-blah. Someone bought the neck out of the blue after it had been sat on a shelf in my Reverb store for months. He got it yesterday & hoped to get it drilled for his Starstream today. What could possibly go wrong?

Turns out the neck has some really unique features. None of the dimensions (heel width/length & headstock width/length) match any of the above mentioned guitars. It's certainly of absolutely no use to him.
Furthermore, the guy seems to know his stuff & he's thinking it could even be a custom made neck destined for a shortscale bass build that never happened, right at the end of Vox's late 60s production run). This could actually be a neck so fucking rare there isn't even a body to fit the bastard thing!! WTF?!?!

It's all academic now as he'll get a full refund but I'm wondering if it's off a Grand Prix. From a distance it looks identical but, unlike Fender, I have no clue which (if any) of their guitars were shortscale.

Just my luck.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

sir h c
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: I might actually be able to use the term "Too Rare" for this thing...

Post by sir h c » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Ask at the Voxshowroom.com, they know a lot.