New Broken Guitar(s) Day - Restoreable?

Bringing your older offset back to life.
username
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New Broken Guitar(s) Day - Restoreable?

Post by username » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Not sure if I'm off-topic here, as I'm not sure if I really gonna restore them...
I got those two axes from a friend today and, as you can see, they're pretty smashed up.. - In fact only the bodies are really f*cked, the rest of both guitars are in pretty good shape and still include all hardware..

The sunburst one is a Hagstrom HIIN from the 1970's but I have no clue which brand the other guitar with the 3 Schaller pickups is. I suppose it was made in late 60's or 70's probably in Germany? (the latter because of those Schaller pickups ?)

I'm pretty sure that the Hagstrom body is irreparable. I have all (or most) of the body- pieces but the neck pocket is kind of pulverized so I think it wouldn't stand the force of the strings anymore. Apart from that, I don't like the neck as it's too thick (baseball-style) for my taste (loved the neck of my vintage Hagstrom 3 I used to have).
So I might just sell all the parts and throw away the body.

The other one is more of my liking. The neck is thin and feels fine, so I definitely gonna do something with it (at least with the neck and the PU's - I love that Schaller pickups).

I though of replacing the worst part (marked) with a solid piece, glue it all back together with Titebond and then reshape it to the original body- shape.

What do you think? Any other ideas?
cheers ;-)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Broken Guitar(s) Day - Restoreable?

Post by oid » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Just glue them back together and patch in some wood where needed. Good learning experience, should be fun.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

jeff m.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jeff m. » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:10 pm

username,
The guitar with the (non-original, by the way) Schaller pickups is a Japanese-made Aria 1302T.
There is a pretty extensive thread on these guitars up in the Vintage section if you do a search.

Unfortunately, one of the main attractions of these was the original whammy-bar assembly, & to a slightly lesser extent, the original pickups..both gone from this one !

If you have the skills to fix it up, go for it ! I've always really liked the oddball Jazzmaster/Strat mash-up of these guitars :) !

Cheers,
Jeff.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:18 pm

Turn it into a pickguard (travel ?) guitar .. threaded inserts for the bolt on neck for easy removal ...

"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Enzo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Enzo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Any guitar can be restored. It’s just a question of if you are willing to put in the work/money required, and you have to ask yourself if that is worth the end result.

But we’ve had some restorations I’d have never imagined possible on this forum, including replacing one of the horns on a vintage jazzmaster that had been completely removed, and combining two broken-in-half mustangs to make a stellar and unique one.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Where are you?
The hag looks like a fun project, if you start thinking it looks like kindling, lemme know...
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:03 pm

the other one has the same shape as the epiphone et270 but the wrong trem.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'